• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Look at the property appraiser's website. It shows the majority of the easement to the east of 331 currently. I realize these aren't perfect measures, but the majority of the front of the hospitals property is easement already owned by the state.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
I have seen a few reports where they complain about future road vibrations and dust interfering with their ability to provide the community with quality healthcare.

1. Really?
2. They should be treated like any other business. If you can't operate on the site, find another one. Unless maybe they are nonprofit and/or provide free healthcare.
3. More traffic means more accidents and more business.

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
One way to measure a hospital's growth potential is its census ( how many beds are occupied on a given night). I have no direct knowledge, but I have been told by several people that work in healthcare that the hospital seldom has more than 10 of its 50 beds occupied. If that is true, they have plenty of opportunity for growth without the capital expenditure of an expansion.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Danny, Defunkiak has been stuck around 5K population since 1960. What growth?

It is true that DeFuniak Springs has remained the same size for many years while communities all around us have grown rapidly. One of the reasons is failure to plan for growth and another is intentional hindering by a group that wants things to remain as they have been for years. I want DeFuniak Springs to grow and attract quality businesses that will increase the tax base and raise the median income. Healthcare is a component of planning for growth. Sometimes you have to play the hand you are dealt. Healthmark is the only game in town and hampering its potential to expand is not in the best interests of the majority of people in the North end. The road can be constructed using the existing roadway and right of way with any additions being made from land to the west. This is a win-win for everyone and so simple it boggles the mind that it cannot be agreed to and move on.

Waltonparent, you are correct about the use of the hospital in the short-term. And it may be years before it increases. But killing its potential for growth if the need arises makes no sense. The cost of building another facility is prohibitive.

Last edited:

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
True Danny, but to have a robust medical community requires things DFS is not willing or able to provide. This includes: 1. A broad base of patients that includes private medical insurance and Medicare. A huge majority of Walton county that would use Healthmark are Medicaid patients. Doctors don't receive enough reimbursement to cover cost. Another issue is that doctors and medical professionals want a high quality education for their children. If they can make more money, create a better life for their families and more opportunities for their children somewhere else, why would they chose to move to DFS?