• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
[FONT=&quot]Thank you WZEP for reporting on this Walton County educational news gem. :lolabove: When I saw it in my inbox, I thought it was a joke. About as sad as it is hilarious.

Haiku Poem About Allah Causes Concerns For Parents[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]On a social media site, local parents have posted a picture of a classroom assignment where the student was given an example of a Haiku Poem. Some parents have expressed concern as the example given said, “After studying ancient Persia and discussing contemporary ideas in world cultures, the example said, Allah is the one; Praise to him they all will cry; Islam is our life.” The picture posted to social media site is below. It contains changes made by a student.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
C:\Users\Jenny\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.png
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A parent of a student said, “After talking with my son about his day at school, he wanted to show me a paper from his history class. This is a 10th grade world history class at Walton High School. She says students were instructed to write 4 haiku poems and this is the example they were given. WZEP has also heard from others who verified the classroom assignment.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We asked Walton Superintendent Carlene Anderson about the assignment and if this was indeed part of the coursework. We also asked if other religious figures have been used. In the past the Judeo Christian beliefs have been taught as part of history assignments.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kay Dailey. Supervisor of Curriculum & Instruction with the Walton County School District says Superintendent Anderson made her aware of the concern shared by a Walton High School parent earlier in the month. She went to WHS and talked to the teacher of the student and another who teaches the same course as well as Principal Hughes.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dailey says she looked at the textbook used for the World History course. She explains that these are Next Generation Florida Standards and unrelated to Common Core. However, Dailey says it is a World History course and must be taught based on course code descriptions for this course. World History teaches students historical events, customs, religions, and cultures.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Dailey says the class assignment to write Haikus used an example that referenced a historical figure and a religion. She says the assignment was not about religion nor was religion discussed. Haikus are typically used for cross curriculum instruction. Dailey says the poems are powerful tools because students can easily read, they can easily be understood and can easily be deconstructed.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Scholastic.com says a Haiku is a form of poetry, first made popular in Japan, which has become appreciated around the world. Haiku poets are challenged to convey a vivid message in only 17[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]syllables. In Japan these poems are valued for their simplicity, openness, depth and lightness.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Structural Rules:[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Use exactly 17 syllables[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Syllables are arranged in three lines of 5-7-5[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Avoid similes and metaphors[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]• Refers to a season of the year[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What is a Haiku about? Haiku poems can describe anything, but are seldom complicated or hard to[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]understand. Almost all Haiku has a dominant impression, or main idea, that appeals strongly to one of the five senses.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]https://sites.google.com/site/wzepam1460/

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
It would be nice if lessons were factually accurate. Ancient Persia was not Islamic. In fact Mohammed was not born until several hundred years later. So, it would be especially nice if materials in a World History course were in fact historically accurate. The religion of Ancient Persia was in fact Zoroastrianism. The sad thing is that inaccuracies are not uncommon in today's school curriculum. So we are left with garbage in, garbage out.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
It would be nice if lessons were factually accurate. Ancient Persia was not Islamic. In fact Mohammed was not born until several hundred years later. So, it would be especially nice if materials in a World History course were in fact historically accurate. The religion of Ancient Persia was in fact Zoroastrianism. The sad thing is that inaccuracies are not uncommon in today's school curriculum. So we are left with garbage in, garbage out.

Something tells me that historical accuracy was not the reason for the complaint.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaleDalbey

Beach Fanatic
Nov 1, 2011
Jdarg, are you saying the person complaining was not aware that the ancient Persians practiced Zoroastrianism? Hard to believe!! ( sarcasm). The issue boils down to this: those offended on religious grounds are usually the same people who want God and prayer in schools. What they don't say is that it must be their God and their prayer.

In my family, we decided to raise our children "in the church " as we Southerners say. I have enough confidence in their faith journey that I am not concerned that reading a Haiku is going to indoctrinate them into being Jihadists. I hope learning about ALL religions will teach them to be tolerant and not bigoted fools.

bentley williams

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
SoWal
Jdarg your image doesn't show - in the story it is a picture of the poem with the words Allah struck out and "Jesus" inserted.

Religious intolerance is a serious issue. It is the opposite of the freedom which this country was founded on. Ironic that the same people who cry Uhmerica are the same ones who are intolerant. Picture them standing there ready to throw a stone and you realize that progress has not been made from ancient times until now in America. We have regressed so far.

We didn't use to stand for such ignorance. Our society had a higher standard for education. Travel was embraced. Differences should be celebrated.

Forgive my soapboxing but it gets worse and worse, especially in the South. I guess I need to move to a more educated and enlightened place.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
So WZEP reported that this story came out via social media. It didn't take much social media sleuthing to find out that the Walton County Republican Club is sending a group to today's school board meeting in South Walton today at 4- to protest. Meeting is at high school- shouldbe some good entertainment value if anyone is able to attend (I will still be at work).

Disclaimer: I doubt this small group of local Republicans represent the majority of Republicans as this seems more Teabilly in nature!

Last edited:

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Down with Muslim Haikus!

Walton County's kids need more WASP inspired poetry. Might I suggest the Limerick about the Man from Nantucket?

Man from Nantucket
A national endowment
Stop or you'll go deaf!