• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
We're down here doing a deep clean and tidying up after our summer renters.

Where can I get rid of a couple of broken bikes and old trash cans? Is there a site somewhere in the county where I can drop this stuff off?

Seems like this year's renters were pretty tough on our house, although nothing major. How do you discourage bad behavior?

Thanks!

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I'm sorry you were accosted by the cranks.

I believe you can take the trash cans to mosquito control on North 393, it'll be on your right. You can pitch the bikes there as well or you can head over to Mack Bayou Rd and drop them off at the house on the right that has all the bikes in the front. There's an older gentleman that rebuilds them and sells them dirt cheap. You might find reasonable replacements.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Hi Ohio Girl:

For the bikes, you may be able to leave them right near your regular trash can and the trash collectors may take them. I've left broken pieces of furniture there and they've picked them up. You could try leaving the broken trash cans there with a note asking them to take them and see what happens. If you use a rental management company, they can take care of this for you as well through their maintenance department. They probably won't charge much to do this, especially if you have them come by and do some minor repairs anyway - just let them know in advance you'd like them to take some broken items out for you so that they bring a large enough vehicle.

As for quality of rentals, we've had good luck overall, with a few exceptions over the past decade that we've been renting in SoWal. Most of the damage we've seen has been normal wear and tear. We frame our rental advertisement on VRBO to encourage families rather than party groups by emphasizing how family friendly the community is so that potential renters who want to party are less likely to find the community appealing. We also note in our response to rental requests that (1) there is parking for 2 cars only, so that limits the number of people who are likely to want to rent the cottage; (2) someone 25 years or older must be staying at the cottage at all times and we say that our association and rental management company will enforce this. We also reduced the number of people we allow in the cottage by saying there are beds for no more than 6 people (we used to say the cottages would take 8 or 9 people). The more people allowed in a rental, the more likely you'll get younger party groups. I also felt our cottages had a bit more wear and tear this year, but we've also had more spring and fall rentals than usual so it could be that the upside of a busier rental year has a downside of more wear and tear.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I'm sorry you were accosted by the cranks.

I believe you can take the trash cans to mosquito control on North 393, it'll be on your right. You can pitch the bikes there as well or you can head over to Mack Bayou Rd and drop them off at the house on the right that has all the bikes in the front. There's an older gentleman that rebuilds them and sells them dirt cheap. You might find reasonable replacements.

Sadly, the bike man died last year.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
We're down here doing a deep clean and tidying up after our summer renters.

Where can I get rid of a couple of broken bikes and old trash cans? Is there a site somewhere in the county where I can drop this stuff off?

Seems like this year's renters were pretty tough on our house, although nothing major. How do you discourage bad behavior?

Thanks!

Totally missed the second part. Do you know which guests did it or when? Many homes experience more wear and tear when we have extended bad weather. Remember that summer it rained all summer?

If you use a rental management company ask them what their procedures are for check out. I know not every rental can get cleaned in a day so they may wait if it's not booked, but they should still be inspecting for damage, breakfast left out etc.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
If anyone's interested, here's the story on my garbage cans. I took them to Mosquito Control but they only accept tires, metal and electronics. This morning I put a note on my garbage cans and the garbage truck whisked them away. (Thanks Paula). I felt like a crazy woman driving around with them in my car.