• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Osbourne lives in Driftwood Estates just north of Sandestin. Original development plan called for a) road access from Driftwood through Sandestin and b) certain amount of land set aside to deal with stormwater/drainage concerns because it's low land that doesn't drain quickly. Walton County allowed Sandestin to close off road access through Sandestin and also allowed builders to put houses on land that was supposed to be set aside for drainage, causing some flooding problems.

Osbourne spent a lot of time and his own money suing Walton County for allowing development that was not consistent with the original filed plan for Driftwood Estates and the Sandestin DRI, claiming the county actions interfered with his property values and right to quiet enjoyment of his land and home.

Here's one recent article that talks a little bit about the Driftwood-Sandestin issue:

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/walton-county-denies-building-permit-in-sandestin-1.362579

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
You leave out the FACT that in an Email, the Commissioner being sued attempted to prevent this guy from knowing about and attending a public meeting which involved this issue.

That's criminal.

Thanks for confirming the relationship between the two attorney's and the Sheriff.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Beachmouse. I want to shake your hand and buy u a beer.

For literally years I read and read and read threads about Driftwood Estates. I begged and pleaded that someone dumb it down for me. Each time key players responded with well intended, passionate but I'm afraid- convoluted/confusing attempts at summarizing. I would be quiet for a while and then ask again. Repeat cycle.

I just popped this thread open and read your post. Praise baby jezuz.

Thank u for the clear concise summary. Boggles the mind why it took so long. :)

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Thanks for confirming the relationship between the two attorney's and the Sheriff.

Clay the son of Clayton is best friends with Brannon and Brannon has an office in the fancy new digs across from the Courthouse which bears the Adkinson name. The Sheriff came here at his Uncle's bidding (his Uncle is the City Attorney) originally as the City Marshall for Defuniak Springs (no such thing as nepotism in Walton County politics LOL) then ran for and got himself elected with the help of his Uncle and most of the names you see posted in the document above.

In fairness, I do think Michael Adkinson has done a fine job with the Sheriff's Office with the exception of some well documented favors (the drunk driver who plunged 60 foot into the bay comes to mind) and more than a few shady dealings which his notorious Uncle has been a principal too for more than a decade in this County.

Michael is much more personable than Clayton or his son as well!

Last edited:

TeaPartyingHard

Beach Comber
Feb 16, 2015
So is Clay "Atkinson" a typo? Because our sheriff's last name is spelled "Adkinson" with a "D," while in that court document, Clay's like name is being spelled "Atkinson."

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING FOR EXECUTIVE SESSION

Take notice that the Walton County Board of County Commissioners will hold a SPECIAL MEETING and a closed EXECUTIVE SESSION on February 23, 2016, beginning at 9:00 a.m., or immediately following the conclusion of the regular scheduled meeting agenda, at the Walton County Courthouse located at 571 U.S. Highway 90 East, DeFuniak Springs, Florida 32433, to discuss the following:

Cynthia L. Abbott Revocable Trust, et al vs. Olson & Associates of NW Florida, Inc., et al; Case No.: 3:14-cv-646-MCR/EMT

The following persons will attend the meeting: the Board of Commissioners, Bill Chapman, Bill Imfeld, Sara Comander, Cindy Meadows, and Cecilia Jones; Larry Jones, County Administrator; Mark Davis, County Attorney, and Sidney Noyes, Assistant County Attorney. This meeting will be recorded by a certified court reporter. The court reporter will prepare a verbatim record of the meeting which will be sealed until the conclusion of litigation. The executive session is not open to the public pursuant to Section 286.011(8), Florida Statutes