• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
OK I understand your argument about supply and demand, but what about your usage of public property to conduct a private business?

Are you willing to pay a fee or tax for the revenue you generate from public land use?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
In my experience dealing first hand with vacationers of South Walton I'd say 80 to 90% of the vacationers want full service beach chairs, confining 80-90% of our visitors to 50% of the beaches available doesn't seem like a realistic solution. The ghost sets are the problem, people can't get where they want to be on the beach because of empty chairs. address the problem, this 50/50 measure will only create bigger problems. Lets not forget its the public renting these sets from the vendors.

I think your numbers are waaaay off. The vast majority of people at the public beach accesses do not rent set ups.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Jdarg, I think you are absolutely right. The vendors are appealing to a minority of those using the public beach. Most going to the beach do not plan to stay all day long. At least they usually don't on our private beach. The problem as so many have stated is the "ghost chairs". Ban the setting up of chairs and umbrellas unless they have renters and you solve the problem. Let the vendors sort out how that will be accomplished. They may have to hire a few more people and change their method of operation some but from what I heard at the meeting their profit margin will certainly allow such changes. The beaches, as so many have said, are public. The public should be allowed to use them as they see fit as long as they are lawful and respectful.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
How can someone participate in the debate/discussion of an issue and then not vote due to a conflict of interest? In the past a commissioner with a conflict left the room when the topic was brought to the floor.
The "50/50" rule seems like it will cause a huge cluster and enforcement will be a nightmare. Andy/Jdarg have an idea that might totally solve the problem: Ban "ghost" setups and allow only chairs actually rented to be placed on the beach. No one is prevented from doing business just a change in how they do it. It would also help if complaints of belligerent and unfair practices were investigated and those with verified complaints were fined.

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
In my experience dealing first hand with vacationers of South Walton I'd say 80 to 90% of the vacationers want full service beach chairs, confining 80-90% of our visitors to 50% of the beaches available doesn't seem like a realistic solution. The ghost sets are the problem, people can't get where they want to be on the beach because of empty chairs. address the problem, this 50/50 measure will only create bigger problems.
Lets not forget its the public renting these sets from the vendors.

Maybe 80-90% of people who come talk to you about buying golf carts use beach chair rental services- which would make the very first part of your statement true. But let's make sure we do not in any way confuse your cited numbers as a representative sampling of actual demand or usage of rental chairs on our public beaches.

The data point that 80-90% of users of our public beaches rent beach chairs is simply NOT a true statement. Not even close.

There isn't enough sand to make those numbers plausible even if you are using 150% of the beach at the waters edge. Each beach setup accommodates only 2 people and takes up - what- maybe 6-8 linear feet of sand?

IMHO vendors are lucky to be given half of our public beaches.

Last edited:

Geo

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
How can someone participate in the debate/discussion of an issue and then not vote due to a conflict of interest? In the past a commissioner with a conflict left the room when the topic was brought to the floor.
The "50/50" rule seems like it will cause a huge cluster and enforcement will be a nightmare. Andy/Jdarg have an idea that might totally solve the problem: Ban "ghost" setups and allow only chairs actually rented to be placed on the beach. No one is prevented from doing business just a change in how they do it. It would also help if complaints of belligerent and unfair practices were investigated and those with verified complaints were fined.

Doesn't seem so hard to me. Left half of the beach- no rental chairs. Right half of the beach- feel free to rent your chairs. If you put chairs on the left half someone will take a picture of it and send it to the county. Your name is on the chairs. So they will know from whom they will be collecting the fine. And if it ends up being too difficult for the vendors to make it work then we can simply end all vending on public beaches.

Last edited:

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I've gone to the beach hundreds of times and have never felt the need to pay someone to set up a chair for me. Neither have my friends or family. Let's be realistic about how many people truly use this service.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
All I need is a towel. If they're renting out beer in coolers, then take my money.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Geo wrote:

"Doesn't seem so hard to me. Left half of the beach- no rental chairs. Right half of the beach- feel free to rent your chairs. If you put chairs on the left half someone will take a picture of it and send it to the county. Your name is on the chairs. So they will know from whom they will be collecting the fine. And if it ends up being too difficult for the vendors to make it work then we can simply end all vending on public beaches."

Sounds good in theory, but things do not often work that way. Even if the picture quality is good and includes all the elements necessary, all you will hear are excuses and accusations. Not to mention the manpower needed to answer and investigate complaints from one end of the beach to the other. So the result would be exactly what you stated at the end: an end to all vending on public beaches.
Why not place kiosks at the upland end, rent them competitively and ban "ghost" setups? The vending businesses get to operate and provide jobs, the county makes money and those who do not wish to use their services can enjoy the beach without a fight. And free enterprise will sort out what works and what should go away. Just thinking.

Last edited:

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Geo wrote:

"Doesn't seem so hard to me. Left half of the beach- no rental chairs. Right half of the beach- feel free to rent your chairs. If you put chairs on the left half someone will take a picture of it and send it to the county. Your name is on the chairs. So they will know from whom they will be collecting the fine. And if it ends up being too difficult for the vendors to make it work then we can simply end all vending on public beaches."

Sounds good in theory, but things do not often work that way. Even if the picture quality is good and includes all the elements necessary, all you will hear are excuses and accusations. Not to mention the manpower needed to answer and investigate complaints from one end of the beach to the other. So the result would be exactly what you stated at the end: an end to all vending on public beaches.
Why not place kiosks at the upland end, rent them competitively and ban "ghost" setups? The vending businesses get to operate and provide jobs, the county makes money and those who do not wish to use their services can enjoy the beach without a fight. And free enterprise will sort out what works and what should go away. Just thinking.

How is the County going to make money? Tax? Fee?

Better yet, we can have a sort of bed tax but for chairs and keep the funds to "tourism" driven projects...

Your ideas are interesting, but this ultimately comes down to which chair vendor is going to be pro-active and not continue to operate with this "gang" mentality of screw you, we'll do what we want...