• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Beauford

Beach Lover
Jun 23, 2015
https://www.change.org/p/walton-cou...derate-flag-from-the-walton-county-courthouse

UMhhnJWByAcDfuK-800x450-noPad.jpg

We need your help to remove the Walton County Courthouse's Confederate Flag. For a third time since 2002, we are petitioning Walton County Commissioners and concerned citizens plan to attend an upcoming July meeting (date TBD) with this petition showing the support of those near and far who request whole-heartedly this flag be removed from government property.

Why removed the Confederate Flag from the front of the Walton County Courthouse? Why now?

Symbols of hate have no place in our government property, especially the Courthouse, a place for justice for all

The Confederate flag is not a symbol of southern pride but rather a symbol of rebellion and racism.

On the heels of the brutal killing of nine African-American people in a South Carolina church by a racist terrorist, it's time to put that symbol of rebellion and racism behind us and move toward healing and a better United States of America starting with our local community.

Take the Confederate flag down and show love and respect of all. Place it in a museum and never forget it's historic significance and all it stands for. Show true Southern pride in ourselves and our community by flying the American Flag, the flag of unity, freedom and justice for all, over the Civil War Memorial on our Walton County Courthouse lawn.

Questions? Contact Michelle Uhlfelder at michuhlfelder@me.com.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Stunned to learn that symbol of brutality is flying here. I don't have reason to get to the courthouse. Today Strom Thurmonds son , Paul , gave a passionate speech to take this thing down. I liken it to proudly flying the Nazi swastika flag. Sad part of our heritage that must not be forgotten but best preserved in a museum. Where do I sigh?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
The best use of that flag in a memorial is to bury someone wrapped in it.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
If they wish to fly an appropriate Confederate flag they should hoist the white flag of surrender.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
The flag displayed at the Courthouse is part of a memorial to those from Walton County who died in the Civil War. It is a historical site and no different than the British, French and Spanish flags that are displayed in Pensacola, New Orleans, St. Augustine and other places. Those places also display the Confederate flag as part of a historical display. The memorial simply respects people who died over 150 years ago but who have descendants who still live here.
I simply do not understand the comment above about burying someone in the flag. That comment could be taken as hate speech far more than displaying an historical relic.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
The flag displayed at the Courthouse is part of a memorial to those from Walton County who died in the Civil War. It is a historical site and no different than the British, French and Spanish flags that are displayed in Pensacola, New Orleans, St. Augustine and other places. Those places also display the Confederate flag as part of a historical display. The memorial simply respects people who died over 150 years ago but who have descendants who still live here.
I simply do not understand the comment above about burying someone in the flag. That comment could be taken as hate speech far more than displaying an historical relic.

It's not hate speech. It means keep the goddam thing out of sight.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
The flag displayed at the Courthouse is part of a memorial to those from Walton County who died in the Civil War. It is a historical site and no different than the British, French and Spanish flags that are displayed in Pensacola, New Orleans, St. Augustine and other places. Those places also display the Confederate flag as part of a historical display. The memorial simply respects people who died over 150 years ago but who have descendants who still live here. I simply do not understand the comment above about burying someone in the flag. That comment could be taken as hate speech far more than displaying an historical relic.

There is a big difference Danny. It respects people who died trying preserve the right to continue enslaving their fellow man, to deny them the right to live free. It disrespects the descendants of those who were enslaved. It should be an insult to us all.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Personally, i don't think we have to honor or show respect for those who died for either side. I just think we should be pleased that the Confederacy lost and not the other way around.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Personally, i don't think we have to honor or show respect for those who died for either side. I just think we should be pleased that the Confederacy lost and not the other way around.

That is your prerogative since you live in a free country and get to choose. If nothing else a flag should remind us that war is pointless. The same mentality that makes people fly them is related to the mentality of aggression. Pride is poison. Ads a great man once said, "this aggression will not stand, man!

Let's agree to allow a flag to fly and not get killed for it.

On a side note, I appreciate this site allows free discussion and doesn't censor people like on facebook.

Will this flag image get removed? Will I be censored? Will it get banned? Will someone see this and want to hurt me? Kill me? A symbol is just a symbol. It's people that give it power. Fight the POWER! [Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet Album]

fl.gif

Last edited by a moderator: