• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
If there were a slavery flag flying over Grant's tomb, I might be concerned.

slow

Beach Crab
Jul 12, 2013
Yes. White supremacy was the norm then across the whole US, even in the north. That's not what we're discussing.

The flag was created as a symbol of a group with clearly-stated white supremacist ideals (see below), and flying it today at a courthouse is a constant reminder to many that some folks here still support those ideals.

Again, the founders of the confederacy meant to leave nothing for interpretation:

“Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite idea; its foundations are laid, its corner-stone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery subordination to the superior race is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.” - The “Corner Stone” Speech

Neither side was perfect in these times. But symbols of oppression still matter.

The least we can do is say we no longer support what this symbol stands for, and by flying it on our courthouse grounds, we're doing the opposite.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I'd sure like to see the bizzaro universe in which the South had won, we embrace Confederate ideals, and everything is so much better.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I'd sure like to see the bizzaro universe in which the South had won, we embrace Confederate ideals, and everything is so much better.
Who said the war is over? Happy Camper is still fighting the fight.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Who said the war is over? Happy Camper is still fighting the fight.

He's like those Japanese guys from WWII holed up on a Pacific island in 1953.

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
He's like those Japanese guys from WWII holed up on a Pacific island in 1953.

This is from one of the largest rallys to ever visit Washington D.C.; the KKK rally in 1925. Notice which flags they are flying and the absence of any Confederate flags. Will you start a petition to remove that flag from the courthouse? :)
kkk-knights-ku-klux-klan-400000-march-washington-dc-1925.jpg

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
No, I'm trying to present actual history. Sorry it conflicts with you attempted revision.
You're starting to embarrass yourself. The only revision here is the bubble you're living in. If you want to fly the flag fly it, you are still free to do so.

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
THere are so many things that were/are wrong with the instance that started this (the removal of an historical item because of some maniac ) that I cant believe there are people that think the removal of the confederate flag will change anything..OMG... the confererate flag did not make this individual act the way he did....if we look back throughout history we can find MANY things that the stars and stripes flew above that are offensive....typical knee-jerk reaction from people that think hiding an item associated with a bad situation will make it all better.. when in fact dealing with the person responsible for it instead of giving them an "excuse" is the only thing that will truly make it better...