• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Why don't you just start a new thread about the nativity scene and I'll support you.

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

I just think it's highly hypocritical of folks to cry and whine for the removal of that flag and demand people show "love and respect or all" while clearly ignoring that same love and respect for all religion.

Christian extremism at it's finest...IMO.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
Poppy, most of those, especially from Walton County, who fought and died were too poor to own slaves. In fact, Walton County opposed succession when it was voted on. They fought to protect their homes and state. The remembrance of them is not racist nor does it seek to revive some long discredited belief.
What really bothers me about this is that we are making knee jerk reactions to an unbelievable tragedy while ignoring the really serious issues. Does anyone seriously think that all of this attention to an historical relic is going to end real racism or bigotry? IMHO it is a useless gesture that gives everyone warm fuzzy feelings while we continue to ignore the real issues. Not to mention that in this county we have serious problems that need attention far more than whether or not a 150 year old flag flies at the courthouse. Things like $600,000 "missing" from the Planning Dept or how the protections of our coastal lakes have been changed and if those lakes are now in danger. I guarantee you there are several members of the powers that be that will love debating the flag instead of those issues.

Danny,

As is usually the case, you are a sane and reasonable voice in an arid land. You've got my vote in your next run for office. Keep it up, my friend.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

I just think it's highly hypocritical of folks to cry and whine for the removal of that flag and demand people show "love and respect or all" while clearly ignoring that same love and respect for all religion.

Christian extremism at it's finest...IMO.

I don't worship anything, and that includes flags.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I don't worship anything, and that includes flags.

Then it's a safe bet my posts are not directed at you personally. It was directed more to the person(s) responsible for this ridiculous petition!

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Then it's a safe bet my posts are not directed at you personally. It was directed more to the person(s) responsible for this ridiculous petition!

The petition is a great idea. I will be signing before long.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I guess I need to explain something. I don't have a problem with racist ahole dumb****s flying the Confederate flag. What I do have a problem with is knowing that my local government consists of a bunch of racist ahole dumb****s who allow the confederate flag to fly on the grounds of their workplace. Do you see what I'm saying?

Last edited:

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Just to be accurate, the homes in the historical district may have servant quarters but since DFS was founded in the 1880's, there were no slave quarters.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I guess I need to explain something. I don't have a problem with racist ahole dumb****s flying the Confederate flag. What I do have a problem with is knowing that my local government consists of a bunch of racist ahole dumb****s who allow the confederate flag to fly on the grounds of their workplace. Do you see what I'm saying?

Exactly! As a private citizen you can hoist it on your flag pole, paint it on your barn, wrap up in it at night, paste it to your vehicle window, or even have sex with the damn thing just remove it from public spaces. Public property should remain neutral why is this so difficult so comprehend?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

I'm not disagreeing with you and I feel the same way about the religious practices of local government. Get rid of all the racist BS. I just think that flag is the least of it.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Just to be accurate, the homes in the historical district may have servant quarters but since DFS was founded in the 1880's, there were no slave quarters.

Back in the 1800's I think there was a mighty fine line between "servant" and "slave".