• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
mputnal3: just to clear things up, I was referring to the people in that photo, the KKK, when I said "you have to be a sad excuse for a human being"... It was the general use of the word "you". You, on the other hand, just seem misguided in this idea that southern pride should be linked to the Confederacy and the Confederate flag. I was born in the South, I was enthralled with the Civil War, when I was a child, and, as I grew more mature, and was able to look at that era of history, I have been increasingly disgusted with the entirely senseless nature of that war, more than any other war that I have ever studied. I just came back from Franklin, Tennessee several weeks ago, and I was simply appalled at a graphic description of the insanity of the Battle of Franklin. To try to attach some honor and pride to this dismal era of American history is perpetuating the insanity. We can read about it in history books, but why try to live it, over and over again, as we try to move forward into the 21st Century. I apologize if you misconstrued my words to mean you harbor hatred, but an overwhelming majority of the people who fly that flag harbor hatred. And you need to understand what that means to your image of the Confederacy.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
When did a a geographical region or a culture become a race?

Apparently it happened on this thread. It seems many of you prefer (not Teresa) to believe that if you have any amount of Southern Pride that you are a racists and a bigot (Poppy, Lake View Too, yourself, Jdarg etc.) I have been accused of ignorance, racism, bigotry, hatred and on and on. Just go back and read the posts and I believe you will see the evolution of a new race of "Southern Americans".

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
mputnal3: just to clear things up, I was referring to the people in that photo, the KKK, when I said "you have to be a sad excuse for a human being"... It was the general use of the word "you". You, on the other hand, just seem misguided in this idea that southern pride should be linked to the Confederacy and the Confederate flag. I was born in the South, I was enthralled with the Civil War, when I was a child, and, as I grew more mature, and was able to look at that era of history, I have been increasingly disgusted with the entirely senseless nature of that war, more than any other war that I have ever studied. I just came back from Franklin, Tennessee several weeks ago, and I was simply appalled at a graphic description of the insanity of the Battle of Franklin. To try to attach some honor and pride to this dismal era of American history is perpetuating the insanity. We can read about it in history books, but why try to live it, over and over again, as we try to move forward into the 21st Century. I apologize if you misconstrued my words to mean you harbor hatred, but an overwhelming majority of the people who fly that flag harbor hatred. And you need to understand what that means to your image of the Confederacy.
I respect your position and accept your apology. I just happen to disagree with you on the issue. It is okay. I do understand you now. It is a sensitive area and I do not take it lightly that some people are offended by the confederate flag. I would never fly that flag in public and I do not believe the courthouse should either. Those good people of that church has somehow forgiven the killer. I have always respected all colors but because of that ability to forgive they are probably superior to me as I am not sure I could do that so readily.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Apparently it happened on this thread. It seems many of you prefer (not Teresa) to believe that if you have any amount of Southern Pride that you are a racists and a bigot (Poppy, Lake View Too, yourself, Jdarg etc.) I have been accused of ignorance, racism, bigotry, hatred and on and on. Just go back and read the posts and I believe you will see the evolution of a new race of "Southern Americans".
Paranoia is a form of mental illness.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

Southern pride is not a flag. It is our lives and how we live them. No one has accused you or anyone here. I believe I agree very much with you overall, except when you accuse others of accusing others.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Southern pride is not a flag. It is our lives and how we live them. No one has accused you or anyone here. I believe I agree very much with you overall, except when you accuse others of accusing others.
Yes, I do have a tendency to get carried away with defending my position which is not a good thing in a forum such as this. I think ALL humans have the ability to get along with each other but sometimes we allow emotional weakness and misunderstood words offend us instead of listening and learning. This forum is a good thing in being allowed to evolve in our abilities to communicate. I am sure I have a ways to go.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Google "cultural racism"then get back to me..

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong, bigoted, or predjudice with bashing a culture. It depends on the culture. There are some really lousy ones out there, but people can change their views. Race is something people cannot change, and there is no reason to think that they should.

Last edited: