• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Let me clarify my last statement. Not everyone is saying that we must give up our heritage but there are a few. Most are saying "be sensitive and remove the flag only from the courthouse out of respect". Others are saying "accept that there is no place for Southern American Pride and if you continue to have it you are something less". The latter group of people seem to have an axe to grind. They are hiding that brand of axe very well but what I am getting is that it is related to liberal ideals. They have NO tolerance for any other ideal. They seem to be smart but with little ability to communicate with respect. I think I will stop there.

Zebraspots

Beach Fanatic
May 15, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
To add some historical context to your very spirited debate, it might matter that the flag was not part of the original monument display.

In fact, it was added by vote of the sitting Board of County Commissioners in April 1964. This was shortly after the House approved the Civil rights act, which was ultimately approved by the Senate and signed into law in July 1964. (Source: Archives of the DeFuniak Springs Herald, April 12, 1964, Front page.

Hope this adds some value to your discussion.

Cory Godwin

Thank you for this information. I don't think we should remove the Confederate Memorial (or any other memorials or statues) and wouldn't have a problem with tax dollars being using for its repair and upkeep. However I think that flag should not be flying over it.

That flag has represented hate and racism for decades. That's just plain fact and has nothing to do with your political views, geography, or recent events.

Recent events made more people aware that this symbol of hatred was still on display on public property and had them call for its removal. Yes, the flag didn't directly cause the shooting, but the attitudes that installed it, kept it up and insist on it still flying are why that psycho thought he needed to kill black people.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
The war of Southern passive aggression rages on!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
That flag has represented hate and racism for decades.

The US flag has also represented that same hate and racism and the majority of Americans salute it proudly.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Yes, I do have a tendency to get carried away with defending my position which is not a good thing in a forum such as this. I think ALL humans have the ability to get along with each other but sometimes we allow emotional weakness and misunderstood words offend us instead of listening and learning. This forum is a good thing in being allowed to evolve in our abilities to communicate. I am sure I have a ways to go.

How's Jameis doing? :evil:

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
"Yes, the flag didn't directly cause the shooting, but the attitudes that installed it, kept it up and insist on it still flying are why that psycho thought he needed to kill black people."

I have tried to stay out of this conversation because as Bob Hudson pointed out it is going in circles and thus counter-productive. But this statement by Zebraspots needs a reply.

I understand why someone would want to take the flag down. I also understand that the flag was not part of the original display and I also understand why it should not fly "over" a government building. I have listened carefully to everyone's point of view. But I cannot/will not accept that those who support keeping the flag somehow encourage or support an evil individual killing anyone of any race. I for one absolutely do not support such nor was I raised to support such. My only interest is in memorializing and respecting those who served this county. That flag has been part of that effort as long as I have lived and I see no reason to change it.
Many may not realize that Walton County in 1860 voted NO at the convention called to consider the matter of secession. The clear inference is that many of those whose names are on the memorial did not support secession. But after it was passed, they answered the call to defend their homes and families. As to my personal stake, my Great-Great Grandfather was on the Board of Commissioners at the time. He was wounded in the war and the only reason his name is not on the memorial is that his wife and son traveled north to find him and bring him home in the family wagon.
My Father was not from this area and was as unprejudiced an individual as I have ever known, even during a time when that position was very unpopular with many family and neighbors. He taught me to value everyone and treat them with respect and lived that way in front of me. I have tried to follow in his footsteps as best that I can.
Therefore, as someone who supports the flag remaining over the Memorial, not the Courthouse, I categorically do not support anyone treating anybody disrespectfully or taking their liberty or life. I respect where you are coming from and would ask you to do me the honor of treating my position with the same respect. If at any time you have felt that I treated you with disrespect, then I ask your forgiveness.

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
ok.. this needs to be told ...as copied from the Walton county historical page..
"Shortly after the Civil War, the women of Walton County organized a Ladies' Memorial Association to erect a marble monument honoring Walton County's Confederate dead. They were able to raise $250 for the monument.

The monument was first erected in 1871 at Valley Church. It was moved to Euchee Anna, the County seat, and then to DeFuniak Springs when it became the County seat.
"

Alot of people may want to read alot of racist things into the monument but this puts it all in to prospective for me....

Amd I dont really care what group wants to hijack it for their own agenda..THIS is what it will always be to me..

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
When I see the US Flag I see freedom and equality for all. Even though it takes its citizens a while to catch up with it.

Do they sell the rose colored glasses you wear in Sowal?