• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
ok.. this needs to be told ...as copied from the Walton county historical page..
"Shortly after the Civil War, the women of Walton County organized a Ladies' Memorial Association to erect a marble monument honoring Walton County's Confederate dead. They were able to raise $250 for the monument.

The monument was first erected in 1871 at Valley Church. It was moved to Euchee Anna, the County seat, and then to DeFuniak Springs when it became the County seat.
"

Alot of people may want to read alot of racist things into the monument but this puts it all in to prospective for me....

Amd I dont really care what group wants to hijack it for their own agenda..THIS is what it will always be to me..
The argument has nothing what-so-ever to do with the monument and everything to do with the flag that was added much later!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
ok.. this needs to be told ...as copied from the Walton county historical page..
"Shortly after the Civil War, the women of Walton County organized a Ladies' Memorial Association to erect a marble monument honoring Walton County's Confederate dead. They were able to raise $250 for the monument.

The monument was first erected in 1871 at Valley Church. It was moved to Euchee Anna, the County seat, and then to DeFuniak Springs when it became the County seat."

Alot of people may want to read alot of racist things into the monument but this puts it all in to prospective for me....

Amd I dont really care what group wants to hijack it for their own agenda..THIS is what it will always be to me..

Did the page you reference say anything about when the flag was added?

I read this today..

"Photos showing that the flag was added in the 1950s/early 1960s proves that it was in response to integration and a clear message from officials that the county was resistent to Civil Rights and promoting segregation. It does not go with the original purpose of the memorial which is to honor those Civil War veterans. While the residents of the county might not have felt that way, the officials at the time did. That was the one reason this flag was added during the Civil Rights era. Just like South Carolina and Alabama officials did on state property with the Confederate battle flag in 1950s and 1960s. It was a planned effort by government officials against African-Americans."

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Did the page you reference say anything about when the flag was added?

I read this today..

"Photos showing that the flag was added in the 1950s/early 1960s proves that it was in response to integration and a clear message from officials that the county was resistent to Civil Rights and promoting segregation. It does not go with the original purpose of the memorial which is to honor those Civil War veterans. While the residents of the county might not have felt that way, the officials at the time did. That was the one reason this flag was added during the Civil Rights era. Just like South Carolina and Alabama officials did on state property with the Confederate battle flag in 1950s and 1960s. It was a planned effort by government officials against African-Americans."

And that is why it needs to come down. It is only flying on the memorial because they wanted to send a message. And the message wasn't about the war veterans. ;)

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Oh, BS!!! All of you that think the flag flying at a memorial for fallen Confederate soldies is racist have no appreciation for those, not only Confederate, but American servicemen as well, that fought for what they believed in even thought the cause may have been faulty. The Vietnam conflict comes to mind where some of my buddies we spit upon although all they were doing was what they were paid to do.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Danny, Thank you for your last post regarding your family history. I do in fact have a lot of respect for your perspective being that you have a long history in this county. The rest of us just have opinions and do not carry the same weight as yours and others who have a long history in the county.

Andy, Thank you for your perspective regarding ALL servicemen who fought for this country. They should all be honored and respected and that includes those confederate soldiers.

Teresa and Jdarg, I appreciate the information that you read about someone's perspective of why Walton County decided to fly the confederate flag however I am positive that many people see the flag and think of the fallen soldiers.

We are going round and round with this. One person reads this and another person reads that. So, IMO we should let Walton County decide who they want to respect and how. Unless we have more of a "personal" story that has something directly related to Walton county and racism then we probably should move on and celebrate our Independence for without that none of this matters.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I feel no one has had their belief changed and a lot of hostility has been exhibited.

Commissioners put it up - they have a lot of perspective now - see you on the 14th.

image-2534575925.jpg

Last edited:

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Oh, BS!!! All of you that think the flag flying at a memorial for fallen Confederate soldies is racist have no appreciation for those, not only Confederate, but American servicemen as well, that fought for what they believed in even thought the cause may have been faulty. The Vietnam conflict comes to mind where some of my buddies we spit upon although all they were doing was what they were paid to do.
Stop ranting, get a grip and face the facts. The flag was hijacked by racists in the fifties. Stop being a flagger or is it flaggot?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

It's well known when and where confederate flags were raised in public places in protest against civil rights movement in the south. Some have been removed since over the years. Some remain. It makes very interesting reading.

No one spits on our soldiers of any past war.. I believe our soldiers would want us to honor our real heritage. Freedom, equality, justice for all.