• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I had no expectations of changing your mind about me or anyone who has Southern Pride. You just simply are not able to see two sides of anything. In my little book you are the one going backwards in society as for as your abilities to communicate with people who disagree with you.

No, I just think "ancestor worship" is a form of mental illness. Interesting article: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/herb-silverman/heritage-and-hate_b_7697116.html

excerpt:

A colleague who came to Charleston from New York in 1971 at the height of the Vietnam War told me he asked a woman at a party what she thought about the war. She said it was terrible what happened to her great granddaddy and other brave family members. Talk about living in the past! I've never understood such unconditional ancestor worship. I have no animosity toward descendants of slaveholders or Nazis, nor do I hold in any higher esteem descendants of heroes. We are responsible for our actions, not those of others.

Perhaps ancestor worship for some is biblically based. The Ten Commandmentsincludes "For I the Lord am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of their parents to the third and fourth generation." Doesn't seem fair, but then neither does punishment for an alleged Original Sin of an alleged first couple.

second wind

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2013
I don't care for the Confederate flag myself. However I do believe in the importance and protection of our First Amendment. Protecting freedom of speech from government censorship no matter how ugly and racist it may be , is just that; protected speech. The government can try to suppress the various symbols of hate and bigotry but it's gonna be a slippery slope for sure. Work on keeping the flag away from our public government buildings but lets leave the private citizen alone.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I just get a kick out of reading people's reasoning behind their justification for displaying this POS flag on publicly owned property.
Exactly what do you mean by"POS".....

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Howdy y'all! :wave: Long time/no post.

I'm a Southern gal from Louisiana. Little story here: My dad, born in New Orleans, had a shot glass that said "Darn Tootin' I'm A Rebel" and he was one of the most loving, respected men I know. 2 purple hearts, Silver Star, well-educated and cultured - just a fine man and father. Before he passed, we had discussions about the Confederate flag - and he, like me, saw it very clearly. He should be allowed to have his shot glass, he should be allowed to fly the Confederate flag at his house (he didn't and never would have), his church should be allowed to fly the Confederate flag (though he never belonged to a church), but the Confederate flag should not be flown on public land. The exception, as we saw it, might be a historic display of ALL flags that have flown over said state. Such as http://www.museumsouthernhistory.com/flags/flagsofflorida.html

I was in DeFuniak this weekend and went to see the monument and flag up close. I was surprised to learn that when the monument was first erected, it was not on public land. It was later moved to the lawn of the public courthouse.

I think this is not about what the Confederate flag means to an individual. No one will ever see eye to eye on that and everyone is entitled to their beliefs and convictions. This is about whether or not the flag should be displayed on government land. I say no. Fly it privately as you wish, but keep it off the courthouse lawn.

:thanks:

JoeWormwood

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2008
What do you think poppy means?

We don't have to guess what "poppy" means. We can look it up. The Internet is your friend.

poppy
[pop-ee]
Spell Syllables

noun, plural poppies for 1, 2, 4–7.1.any plant of the genus Papaver, having showy, usually red flowers.Compare poppy family.

2.any of several related or similar plants, as the California poppy or theprickly poppy.

3.an extract, as opium, from such a plant.

4.Also called poppy red. an orangish red resembling scarlet.

5.Architecture, poppyhead.

6.an artificial flower resembling a poppy, especially one received asevidence of a contribution to a fund for disabled war veterans.

Idioms7.tall poppy, Australian. someone of preeminence or with a largeincome; important and powerful person.

Origin of poppyExpand

Middle English

Old English

Latin

before 900; Middle English; Old English popæg, papig ≪ Vulgar Latin*papāvum, for Latin papāver

Related formsExpand
poppylike, adjective