• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
This subject should be closed by now with most people in an agreement of "opinion" and it should be left up to the people of Walton County with a true "history" in this county and probably know very "clearly" what their intentions are with flying the confederate flag. For any of us to pass "judgement" is very worrisome. While our opinions are important in discussions and debates our biases and prejudices first need to be recognized so that we can check our historical facts against this bias. As I read Mr. Ortiz's letter I realized that some educators are an important root cause of bias and that is the reason why so many people have "evolved" into followers instead of leaders.

It doesn't matter what the intentions are. The flag has become a racist symbol and shouldn't be on our public property. Rightly or wrongly, it has come to symbolize racism, and if you are trying to keep it in place then you are on the wrong side.

Stick to defending Jameis Winston.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
The first amendment guarantees you rednecks will still be able to fly your racist flag on your personal property. Take comfort in knowing you can continue to insult your fellow citizens.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
By all means, anyone who wants to display the flag privately should do so. It serves as a warning. To me the flag says "beware of toxic personality".

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
They all serve the same purpose:

warning-bio-hazard-md.png radiation_hazard_warning_sign.png battleflag-300x190.jpg

Cuff

Beach Lover
Feb 3, 2013
Professor Oritz's letter is obviously well researched and based on facts. Facts are pesky things. That flag represents slavery, rape, hangings, whippings, starvation, immeasurable suffering and the vilest and corrupt side of mankind. Fact. There is no bias from Professor Oritz's facts nor mine.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
The methods by which we disagree with another is very important. I guess it depends on the value you place on human beings. Disagree with disrespect or disagree with respect. It says a lot about who you are. Not so much about what you know. If you never learn how to communicate with respect with those that oppose your opinions how do you think you will ever make a positive difference in this world? Ah, now I understand what motivates you!

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
If you have to beg for respect, chances are you haven't earned it.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Dear Mr. Ortiz, Though I strongly agree with your conclusion regarding removing the confederate flag I strongly disagree with your "opinion" that the only reason Walton County raised the confederate flag at the memorial was out of protest. I am very disappointed that you would use your status in History Education to make a projection of character on those people so long ago. You further only mentioned atrocities on the confederate side of that war knowing full well that there was atrocities on both sides. I know why it is correct to remove the flag but NOT because of your one sided history.

I felt the letter was intended to just address one issue regarding the actual usage of the flag over time, without going into the entire history of the south. Also as he starts the letter, he explains that this is his opinion on removing the flag. So, he is telling what he knows and what he believes, and providing references for those who are interested in learning more. It's an opinion letter, using some of his own personal experiences as well. Anyone can do the same by writing to the Walton County BCC or attending the upcoming meeting. I do not believe his intention was to provide a comprehensive historical account.

I've seen the footage of Governor Wallace raising his confederate flag and saying "we don't need no stinkin' civil rights...". Southern states took a stand and used this flag to support it and symbolize it. And people are just now looking back on that time and realizing that yes, we did that. It may be difficult to acknowledge and accept. But yes, we did that. We can undo that now. It's the right thing.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I'll own up to being disrespectful if the flag defenders will own up to being pathetic.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The first amendment guarantees you rednecks will still be able to fly your racist flag on your personal property. Take comfort in knowing you can continue to insult your fellow citizens.

Ya know poppy, for the most part I agree with many or most of your posts but sometimes I think you ate a few fruit loops to many. I can think of any number of things people say or do that most would consider offensive or insulting but a piece of cloth just isn't on my top 10 list.

And honestly, I just don't think your personality is that fragile either.

Last edited: