• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Way!! Wonder if he is coming to the BCC meeting on Tuesdsy? Maybe he will bring the General Lee!

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Once again Teresa, the flag DOES NOT fly over the courthouse. There is a rather large US flag in the center of the lawn with the Florida flag that flies over the courthouse. The Confederate flag flies over a memorial to Confederate dead that is located to the side of the courthouse. I really think that impugning the motives of men for a decision made over 50 years ago with no proof is a disservice to their memory, as they are all long dead, as well as their families. I do know one thing, this was not an issue a short time ago when the memorial was rededicated and only became an issue in a misguided attempt to "feel good" about the evil, horrific acts of a monster. I wonder what the reaction would have been had the monster taken a photo holding a gay pride flag or an ISIS flag? That is the essence of politically correct. And before it is said, I realize that neither of those examples is flying in the courthouse lawn. But this attack on the Confederate memorial in Walton County is not being conducted in a vacuum. It is part and parcel with the removal of the Dukes of Hazzard from TV, painting over the flag on one of the original cars from the series, removing General Forrest's remains from his grave, a movement to change the names of various military bases, refusing to sell the flag in Walmart and other outlets and dozens of other attempts to whitewash history. And that is exactly what it is. I have been accused of "whitewashing" history when by definition a whitewash is a removal of all evidence of something that actually happened. Slavery happened. I am shamed by the fact that such happened in history. But if we removed all evidence of that occurrence then how will future generations learn that such evil has existed and we must remain vigilant to prevent it ever happening again?
If you have a problem with companies or individuals making decisions about their personal property or licensing rights you need to take it up with them.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Come on Poppy, pointing out someone's actions does not in any way mean that I am trying to infringe in any way whatsoever on their rights to do with their property what they want.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Teresa, being politically correct does not equal doing the right thing by a long shot. If you want to be socially correct and respect blacks in general then hire them in your businesses, invite them over for dinner, take them fishing or hunting, have conversations etc. I have done all these things and more! All those that are so adamant about removing the confederate flag give us your stories of respect toward blacks. Yes, I am challenging Dawn, Poppy, Leader of the Banned, Jdarg and everyone who believe that they have the moral high ground on the issue of the confederate flag and Southern Heritage.

While giving us those stories maybe share some "historical facts" about the Northern military leaders like Sheridan and Sherman and even Grant. Please, I invite you to read about the rape and destruction that was inflicted on Southern White and Black women by northern soldiers. If you are not sick to your stomach by then then please read on about the northern opportunists that came down to the south with shameless greed.

Again, Mr. Ortiz I wait for your explanation of why you chose to use a one sided recollection of historical events to help make your point of removing the confederate flag which many of us have already conceded as the right thing to do to show sensitivity and respect. Your position as an educator of our young people leaves a lot to be desired unless you can explain that letter to all those confederate soldiers who died fighting for their land and for each other AND the thousands of white southern women who were raped by northern soldiers.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Teresa, being politically correct does not equal doing the right thing by a long shot. If you want to be socially correct and respect blacks in general then hire them in your businesses, invite them over for dinner, take them fishing or hunting, have conversations etc. I have done all these things and more! All those that are so adamant about removing the confederate flag give us your stories of respect toward blacks. Yes, I am challenging Dawn, Poppy, Leader of the Banned, Jdarg and everyone who believe that they have the moral high ground on the issue of the confederate flag and Southern Heritage.

While giving us those stories maybe share some "historical facts" about the Northern military leaders like Sheridan and Sherman and even Grant. Please, I invite you to read about the rape and destruction that was inflicted on Southern White and Black women by northern soldiers. If you are not sick to your stomach by then then please read on about the northern opportunists that came down to the south with shameless greed.

Again, Mr. Ortiz I wait for your explanation of why you chose to use a one sided recollection of historical events to help make your point of removing the confederate flag which many of us have already conceded as the right thing to do to show sensitivity and respect. Your position as an educator of our young people leaves a lot to be desired unless you can explain that letter to all those confederate soldiers who died fighting for their land and for each other AND the thousands of white southern women who were raped by northern soldiers.

I don't agree with being politically correct. Being politically correct is shallow and meaningless. But I do believe in people. No one is claiming a moral high ground. They are expressing their opinions on the flag and not the entire history of the confederacy. Same with Mr. Ortiz who expressed his opinion on the one issue. You can surely look and respectfully listen to the opinions of others without having to agree with them or accept them.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Teresa, when you go back and read all the posts in this thread and others it should be obvious who has respect and who does not have respect for an opposing viewpoint. I also believe in people and will always reach out to those who disagree with me in an effort to be respectful. I would like to have a conversation with Mr. Ortiz to give him a chance to explain why he chose to be so one sided in stating civil war atrocities. I do not try to insult people and I believe that everything I have read in this thread on the confederate side have been very respectful. If you do not see the disrespect then you may be somewhat biased by your position (I am sure I do the same thing). Of course I do not know anything about you or these other posters that choose a more divisive method to communicate. I do believe that you try to understand and listen to both sides but I am confused why you posted the Ortiz letter.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
Give it up Teresa, he's clueless.