• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Despite being pressured by liberal activist groups Mobile County, Alabama has not caved and has voted to keep the Confederate flag on the Sheriff’s Department vehicles.

Measures before the Mobile County Commission that would have removed images of the Confederate flag from government property failed to gain enough votes Monday to be made into law.
Two resolutions were put forth my Commissioner Merceria Ludgood. One measure would have removed the third national Confederate flag from the courtyard outside Government Plaza, and the other proposed to remove images of the Confederate Battle flag from vehicles operated by sheriff’s deputies.
Ludgood made motions to pass both resolutions, but each one failed for a lack of a second from either Commissioner Connie Hudson or Commission President Jerry Carl.
A charged issue, removing the Confederate flag from public property has revived discussion across the country about its meaning, persuading some lawmakers to get rid of the blue St. Andrew’s cross with 13 white stars against a red background.

https://lockerdome.com/freedomfighters/7890296532910100

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I trust that our elected sheriff will spend his time on enforcement of parking violations, beach ordinance violations, noise violations, wedding house nonsense, etc. (Yes they are responsible for this), but they will push it off to code non-enforcement....

Don't get me wrong, WCSO does a very good job with "bad guy" stuff; that's the easy part of being the police, anyone with a sense of right and wrong knows what to do...

When the topics become political, true colors will show and excuses will flow, as they have.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Another crusade in the making for "activist" wannabes in the county.

Absolutely nothing excites a crowd more than for "race baiters" to play the race card...just ask the Uhlfelder's how easy it can be done...or better yet, look at the Ban Confederate flag thread...almost 1,600 replies and 25,284 views, making it one of the largest threads ever on this forum.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
If you "wannabe" an activist, then you are one. As far as crusades, Walton County, by virtue of its backward culture, is fertile ground. Sorry (not sorry). Truth hurts. It's a great place to live, and I'm confident it will become even greater as time passes. Sometimes you just have to boo the home team in order to get things moving. If "outsiders" is what it takes, more power to them.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
At this point in time the "booing" isn't working out to well for the outsiders but they continue to "beat the bushes".

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
At this point in time the "booing" isn't working out to well for the outsiders but they continue to "beat the bushes".

It has worked out over the last few decades. I shudder to think what Walton County would be like without them.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
If you "wannabe" an activist, then you are one. As far as crusades, Walton County, by virtue of its backward culture, is fertile ground. Sorry (not sorry). Truth hurts. It's a great place to live, and I'm confident it will become even greater as time passes. Sometimes you just have to boo the home team in order to get things moving. If "outsiders" is what it takes, more power to them.
Wannabes are people who sign petitions and talk a lot but usually don't convince others to come around to their point of view. The fact is that some of us don't share the same values as the politically correct crowd and the wannabes create resentment and more division. And the truth is that people are not "backward" simply because they believe in God and hold to traditional values. I laugh when I see those 'Coexist' bumper stickers on cars. It really means they want to coexist with everyone but Christians, Jews, Southerners and others who are "backward".

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Liz Coats says:
Wannabes are people who sign petitions and talk a lot but usually don't convince others to come around to their point of view. The fact is that some of us don't share the same values as the politically correct crowd and the wannabes create resentment and more division. And the truth is that people are not "backward" simply because they believe in God and hold to traditional values. I laugh when I see those 'Coexist' bumper stickers on cars. It really means they want to coexist with everyone but Christians, Jews, Southerners and others who are "backward".

That's funny, I see a lot of those around, even in Christian churches parking lot. It is amazing to me that you have commented petitions and wannabees but I think both sides of these issues, whether the bumper sticker or the flag. Misty is a good example of this, she appeared to be in support of the flag issue but her views on the religious things on public property. Although she hasn't necessarily come out swinging on this particular issue which she has explained basically is a no win situation in her opinion so she wasn't willing to go "in my words, guns ablazing" but she supported those one the flag issue and vehemently opposed the anti flag contingent. Although I am opposed to the flag on government property I am like Misty and decided it was not worth the fight. I have plenty of people that I call friends and co workers who disagree with me on my opposition but we co exist. I have friends who disagree with me politically, most because they are limited in their reason for voting, ie. gun rights, right to life, immigration, and even the war in Iraq. We co exist, we don't have to like each others positions but we certainly haven't quit talking or not maintained a friendly relationship. So co existing is possible as long as you can respect their position even if you don't agree. I am sure there are areas of extremes that it is possible but I haven't hit that within my group.

Last edited by a moderator:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Bob Wells wrote:
Misty is a good example of this, she appeared to be in support of the flag issue but her views on the religious things on public property. Although she hasn't necessarily come out swinging on this particular issue which she has explained basically is a no win situation in her opinion so she wasn't willing to go "in my words, guns ablazing" but she supported those one the flag issue and vehemently opposed the anti flag contingent. Although I am opposed to the flag on government property I am like Misty and decided it was not worth the fight. I have plenty of people that I call friends and co workers who disagree with me on my opposition but we co exist.

Bob,

Do us both a favor and please don't try to put words in my mouth or assume what you think is my attitude towards these issues. I have been very clear on both.

The Constitution speaks very clearly to the issue of Separation of Church and State and I absolutely believe that the 10 Commandments and the Nativity scene on government property flies in the face of the Constitution. I am extremely opposed to both and would willingly get behind an effort to remove said references to Christianity from Government property. Being agnostic in a Christian Community makes my views a classic example of how minorities are silenced when it comes to these types of controversial issues but has little to do with the LAW or the legality of them being on Government property. Those issues have gone before the Courts and the Supreme Court of the United States has historically condemned those acts as illegal and have clearly stated they are violations of the Constitution.

The "In God We Trust" issue isn't quite as clear legally as the issue of Separation of Church and State so, the ACLU, the Freedom From Religion Foundation and/or other legal entities have not been nearly as successful in oral arguments that have gone before the courts in regard to "In God We Trust". However, my personal opinion is that when you live in a Community that is predominately Christian, that PROMOTES Christian values (the 10 Commandments and the Nativity scene on government property) and the MINORITY is SILENCED you are walking a very, very fine line between what is legal and just for all of us versus what's legal and just for those who support Christianity. I think that as a duly elected official of the law, the Sheriff should rise above faith based issues that further divide the Community and should remain neutral in his public life while doing as he damn well pleases in his personal life as long as it doesn't violate the law. I think the Sheriff should LEAD BY EXAMPLE not follow in the footsteps of others arrogance. I don't support the Sheriff's Christian values and I don't support the bumper stickers or the promotion of Christian values by elected officials.

The Confederate flag issue is NOT ILLEGAL. There is not a single Court in the US that has condemned the act of flying that flag on public property as an illegal or immoral act even though the "politically correct" crowd has done everything in their power to change that. Until such time as the Courts decide that flying that flag violates some law, I support the BCC's decision and I assuredly appreciate the fact that there are issues that will rally an entire community to be more involved in the decision making process of their elected officials.

Last edited by a moderator: