• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
The Grand Jury for Walton County issued a Report this afternoon regarding, among other issues, the Walton County Planning Department, Recreation Fees, a Clerk's Audit of the Planning Department and the actions of County Administrator Larry Jones and Commissioner Cindy Meadows.

Attachments

• Grand Jury Report(1).pdf
    354.6 KB · Views: 519

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011

graytonbeachguy

Beach Fanatic
Jun 14, 2008
Misty said, "Let's hope the Commissioners do the right thing and go after the money that was not collected."

I agree that they need to try to collect the money, but the developer (in fact, we have found out from the Grand Jury Report that it happened with two developments) is probably bankrupt. The property that was assessed at $12M in 2005 is probably worth much, much less today.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Misty said, "Let's hope the Commissioners do the right thing and go after the money that was not collected."

I agree that they need to try to collect the money, but the developer (in fact, we have found out from the Grand Jury Report that it happened with two developments) is probably bankrupt. The property that was assessed at $12M in 2005 is probably worth much, much less today.

That sucks!

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
That went a lot of different places...Lot of recommendations, but State Attorney Eddins make it sounds like it was an order in the sound bite he on WJHG. Just my opinion

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Grand jury suggest reprimand for county administrator, commissioner

The fact that the county did not collect almost 1 million dollars in fees that could have been used to improve infrastructure is unacceptable. The fact that it took almost 10 years and a Grand Jury to figure that out is a terrible disservice to the citizens of Walton County committed by our leadership. The reprimands should have went much farther than one commissioner and the county administrator in my opinion.

Walton Girl

Beach Crab
Sep 20, 2015
What about the county employees that were fired or laid off due to a lack of funds when the economy went south. Not sure of the time frame but could those jobs have been saved with the uncollected $800,000? The Planning Department employees are not the only ones being pushed through the wringer by the County Commissioners, it is all departments. This must stop or Walton County will not have any employees. These people work hard and should be treated with respect and allowed to do their jobs without fear of commissioners back lash. When experienced employees leave so does the knowledge and history.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
If I'm reading all this correctly Meadows and Jones have basically admitted their guilt in interfering with Laird's ability to perform his job and his termination. His wrongful termination suit is looking like a win win for him and a huge loss to the County on top of the money the County can't recover that was never collected.

And the cost keeps rising!