• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paul

Beach Crab
Sep 25, 2015
Good Morning,

I'm driving down next Friday from Huntsville, AL. After 30 years of staying in Destin, I am venturing east to the 30A area! I am staying in Dune Allen near Gulf Place. Typically, to get to Destin, I take I-65 south to exit 114 at Georgiana,AL and take state Hwy 55 to Andalusia, then on to Crestview and cross the mid-bay bridge. My question is should I take 331 from Montgomery or stay on I-65 to Georgiana and Hwy 55 to Florala then pick up 331 there? Many years ago, I took 331 from Montgomery and it was brutally long. Any help is greatly appreciated.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We return each time via Freeport, deFuniak, Florala, Andalusia, Georgiana to 65. We went down that way in May but discovered a bridge was out around Andalusia (now we know why Waze had us going a different route). Continued on to Opp then down to Florala. Many folks on here recommended that route and we like it too. Just need to to confirm whether that bridge is out. Pay attention to detour signs. Ellen
(Heading down we go a day early and drive to Pensacola or Navarre and spend the night. Since we can't check in until 4:00 pm, at least we wake up in Florida with a much shorter route off 65 to the beach. Then we work our way east, stopping at beaches and other places, because once we get to Seaside, we usually park and don't drive again until we leave. We stop at the visitor's center, have lunch at the Vue, Red Bar bloody mary for a walk to the Grayton Beach. Now with the two breweries, just north of 98, you can add that to your itinerary.)

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I take 331 all the way, to and from Montgomery. Relatives live in Montgomery

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I like Montgomery / Troy / Elba / Kinston / 52 east to Hwy 83 South to DeFuniak...

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I like Montgomery / Troy / Elba / Kinston / 52 east to Hwy 83 South to DeFuniak...

X 2!

Those highways are 231 from Montgomery to Troy. 87 from Troy to Elba. 189 from Troy to Kinston. Hang a left on 52. Go about 8 miles and hang a right on 153 which turns into FL 83 at the state line. Take that to DeFuniak...

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Primary difference is big roads vs small roads. If you stay in Miramar Beach or Destin, I'd stay with the Georgiana / Andalusia route. Dune-Allen eastward I'd go thru Troy. It's right at 2 hours, 116 miles from my house to my son's apartment in Troy.

noledog

Beach Comber
Dec 23, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Paul,

When wee travel from Birmingham to 30A and the route you mentioned in your post ( I-65 to Georgiana and Hwy 55 to Florala then pick up 331) is the route we take and like best. You also save the mid-bay bridge toll and the new toll bypass fee (if you take the toll bypass road to avoid Niceville should you go that route). I've never been the Troy/Elba/Kinston/DeFuniak route suggested, but the roads are really good from Georgiana/ Florala/ DeFuniak/Freeport/Hwy 98.

Bruce

Paul

Beach Crab
Sep 25, 2015
Thank you for all your input. I was hoping for a consensus :) It seems everyone has their favorite route. I will probably decide between the Georgiana/Andalusia/Florala route or 331 from Montgomery. The 231 route seems a little complicated.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I used to drive from Dune Allen to Hunstville regularly for work. I-65 to Georgiana, pick up Hwy 55 and then 331 in Andalusia. Hwy 55 is now mostly 4 lanes.