• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Andy A, please hold on to something very steady.

I agree with you.,,,,,,,

especially if Dave and his "A Better South Walton" has anything to do with it.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Andy A., please, please hold on to something even more steadily.

I too agree with you.....

for the exact same reason BlueMtn does!!!!

See we three agree.

Dave did accomplish something good! Yippee for Community Organizers.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
The call to organize systematic Trespassing on Private Property is what did it for me.

True Agenda by a group that needs all the help and support it can get.

You don't do it like this, you haven't even Incorporated and you are alienating people with the Customary Use nonsense.
Alienating who? The new rich and their private property signs are the ones doing the alienating. Beachfront owners didn't act like this in the past. We just want to be able to use the beach as we always have.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Nice post @ShallowsNole

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

I believe Dave is a positive influence in our community and treats others with respect. You may not agree with his views but if you're attacking him instead of the issues it's clear you either have a personal issue with him or don't know how to debate issues without being a dick. If the former, get over it. If the latter, go to Fbook or start your own site. www.Imadick.fu

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Alienating who? The new rich and their private property signs are the ones doing the alienating. Beachfront owners didn't act like this in the past. We just want to be able to use the beach as we always have.

You are correct 100%. Beachfront Owners didn't act like this in the past. You know why?

Because they didn't have a WCSO SOP that told them to put these defining barriers up in order to receive equal enforcement of the law when it comes to trespassing! That's why!

No one is saying you or anyone else won't be able to use the beach, as you always have.

Private Property Owners just don't want you or anyone else on their private property and causing problems.

Add to that FACT, the fact that we (SoWal TDC) have now attracted a lower class of tourist. These are the ones that leave trash, bring dogs without leashes, piss and poop in dunes, drink out of glass bottles, etc.

YOU don't care because YOU pack up and go home to Pt. Wash.

Beach Front Owners have to deal with the aftermath. That's why they care. They are also fed up with B.S. from the sheriff about why he can or can't enforce laws... It was the same B.S. with noise and wedding houses a few years ago.

Let's go after the real source of our Private Beach Problems, not the Symptoms.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
You are correct 100%. Beachfront Owners didn't act like this in the past. You know why?

Because they didn't have a WCSO SOP that told them to put these defining barriers up in order to receive equal enforcement of the law when it comes to trespassing! That's why!

No one is saying you or anyone else won't be able to use the beach, as you always have.

Private Property Owners just don't want you or anyone else on their private property and causing problems.

Add to that FACT, the fact that we (SoWal TDC) have now attracted a lower class of tourist. These are the ones that leave trash, bring dogs without leashes, piss and poop in dunes, drink out of glass bottles, etc.

YOU don't care because YOU pack up and go home to Pt. Wash.

Beach Front Owners have to deal with the aftermath. That's why they care. They are also fed up with B.S. from the sheriff about why he can or can't enforce laws... It was the same B.S. with noise and wedding houses a few years ago.

Let's go after the real source of our Private Beach Problems, not the Symptoms.
There you go again. Blaming the Sheriff for a mess a large number of beachfront owners and their lawyers made. Also you should realize that the TDC has always used a shotgun approach for advertising. People and their behavior has changed for the worse across the board. Paragraphs are your friend.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Still waiting for someone to address my previous post (25). Isn't anyone worried that if incorporation takes place that we would only be replace a tyrant in the North with one to the West? Both would only be interested in tax revenue and have no interest in addressing the issues uniquely affecting the 30a corridor - just kick it down the road mentality. Incorporation only makes sense if the area is small and targeted, such as the area between each end of 30a south of 98 and voted on by those homesteaded in that area. Anything other than that and you can count me out.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Most cities include a fairly large area, with many different neighborhoods and communities that share govt services and leadership as well as a common interest in the betterment of the entire area, and most cities are certainly comprised of more than one highway, Scenic or otherwise....just as we have here in South Walton. We have a collection of areas from beach to bay with a mixture of businesses, residents, services, schools, parks, infrastructure, etc.. Tourism is only one element of the mix shared by all the beaches from Inlet Beach to Miramar Beach.

Would love to see the entire area benefit from a governing body made up of the actual people who live here and have an interest in the best possible future.

Last edited:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Most cities include a fairly large area, with many different neighborhoods and communities that share govt services and leadership as well as a common interest in the betterment of the entire area, and most cities are certainly comprised of more than one highway, Scenic or otherwise....just as we have here in South Walton. We have a collection of areas from beach to bay with a mixture of businesses, residents, services, schools, parks, infrastructure, etc.. Tourism is only one element of the mix shared by all the beaches from Inlet Beach to Miramar Beach.

Would love to see the entire area benefit from a governing body made up of the actual people who live here and have an interest in the best possible future.

Teresa, I don't agree with you that the "common interest" you reference is shared by county gov't.. We have a unique situation here with 30a which is not shared with most of South Walton. I don't trust anyone not impacted daily by trying to get north to 98 without putting up with serious traffic especially here on the east end. Anyone elected to a position in a proposed city government should not be from outside this area. Certainly not from Miramar/Sandestin or anywhere to the west of 30a/98 intersection. The Defuniak gang spends little time down here during season and is only interested in money that they can spend in other parts of the county. I will not be supporting incorporation if the area covered is so broad.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I understand your point. I've lived in excellent cities where that governing board oversaw many different types of neighborhoods with various infrastructure needs and issues. It's what makes a city interesting. No, the county can't represent us with a board of people who live nowhere near South Walton. It really isn't meant to. Where does that leave the entire South end of the County? We've always existed with very little leadership besides the good people who live here who work hard to be heard. And many are fine with that. Thats what they're used to. Very little and no thought for the future. All of South Walton is my town. Raising the standard of leadership in the place we live and work and go to a school and play and grow in a healthy way helps us all. Miramar Beach is part of our future.. Part of our story. Connected in many ways with the same goals...but different issues too.

It won't be easy. And it won't be perfect. And maybe it won't happen at all. Maybe we are comfortable with letting it just be.

If we do incorporate, I see it as a move for the people who live and work here. It's our lives and our home. Those residents live between beach and bay. Each part of that area is connected and important to the other. That's just how I've always thought of our whole community. We all have much to learn about the process, how cities best benefit from incorporation, and even whether we are really ready.

A scenic highway on the Gulf of Mexico doesn't need it's own city. What would be the point? That highway is awesome. But it need not stand alone. I don't live on Scenic 30A but I love it, work there, play there and it's part of what makes our home so special.

Last edited: