• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
ANOTHER ATTEMPT TO DESTROY OUR CONSERVATION and RECREATION LAND! Please attend the special meeting on the proposed road through Point Washington State Forest. Monday July 31 at 1:00 pm. At the South Walton Annex. As you can see from the maps below the proposed road will obliterate parts of the Eastern Lake Trail System, including the Cassine Garden Trail! Attend the meeting and speak out against this proposal. Our Conservation and Recreation Lands need to remain Conservation and Recreation. Please share this post.

20293163_10210279033515351_6151972825800022071_n.jpg

20294044_10210279033595353_4789723558324839752_n.jpg

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
You are hereby notified that the Walton County Board of Commissioners will hold a SPECIAL MEETING on Monday, July 31, 2017 at the South Walton Courthouse Annex located at 31 Coastal Centre Blvd., Santa Rosa beach, FL as stated below:

1:00 PM CR30A Traffic Study Update Presentation with Atkins North America, Inc. -to discuss alignment location for alternate routes to provide congestion relief at the intersection of CR30A & CR395. Discussions will include ROW needs, environmentally sensitive land impacts, floodplain impacts and estimated cost of construction.

2:00 PM Driftwood Road/Ellis Road Presentation with Atkins North America, Inc. -to discuss the preliminary report to incorporate drainage, infrastructure and potential pedestrian facilities within the ROW.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Hmmmm ... reduce the number of cars or reduce the number of trees? I choose trees.
I do believe another route off of 30a is needed. I think the concern is opportunity that occurs to build along that route which I personally hope does not occur.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I do believe another route off of 30a is needed. I think the concern is opportunity that occurs to build along that route which I personally hope does not occur.
I think the upcoming changes to the 30a/395 intersection will solve current backup problems. We really don't have space for a wider 30a or any new feeder roads so the smart course would be to stop further development. We've always valued our natural environment in SoWal and people need to continue to protect it.

Problem is that if it's limited south of the bay it will just move north of the bay and huge residential projects up there will also ruin the beaches and lakes and scenic roads.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I think the upcoming changes to the 30a/395 intersection will solve current backup problems. We really don't have space for a wider 30a or any new feeder roads so the smart course would be to stop further development. We've always valued our natural environment in SoWal and people need to continue to protect it.

Problem is that if it's limited south of the bay it will just move north of the bay and huge residential projects up there will also ruin the beaches and lakes and scenic roads.
I appreciate your point but I don't see anything fixing that intersection other than getting folks a different avenue off of 30a. When I have to be down there which is not to often i go east and cut up through camp creek golf course. Probably doesn't save me anytime but I feel much safer.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I will say this. Of the two options, the power line option is best hands down. The "bypass" will still dump all the traffic onto 395 and will do no one any good. Why build in the forest if the new road does not help anything?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Danny is right. I don't even know why people are talking about this new "shortcut option" anymore. It's clouding the issue. The "power line option" will be far less disruptive and give drivers better options going both east and west. The county should be focusing on how to make that happen.

Seadune85

Beach Lover
May 23, 2016
South of the bay
I also heard that if the powerline option was selected they would do the pass thru tunnels for wildlife. That seems to be the lesser of the 2 evils. I want to protect our state forest as much as the next person but we have to have another option. A feeder road is just absurd and a waste of time. It will also disturb neighborhoods that need to be left alone. The powerline road will also be wonderful once the new school is complete for those moms that have to fight the 3 way stop every morning during the school year!!