• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I also heard that if the powerline option was selected they would do the pass thru tunnels for wildlife. That seems to be the lesser of the 2 evils. I want to protect our state forest as much as the next person but we have to have another option. A feeder road is just absurd and a waste of time. It will also disturb neighborhoods that need to be left alone. The powerline road will also be wonderful once the new school is complete for those moms that have to fight the 3 way stop every morning during the school year!!
Unfortunately "as much as the next person" is not enough. The taking of conservation lands will become death by a thousand cuts. Give an inch and they'll take a mile.

How about a cut through road through Deer Lake State Park for St. Joe homeowners? A fast food restaurant on 30A on the edge of Grayton Beach State Park land? What about a golf cart rental business in Topsail Hill State Park? How about a new TDC building on the edge of the state forest?

A road from 30a to 98 through state forest would be a huge gash through our sensitive midsection, carving up precious habitat. And there would be more requests after that. And after that. And ...

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
When my mind really gets to wandering, I can see that this "power line road" need not be a scar through the forest. It could be done, not just environmentally friendly, but could be done in a way that could be a showcase for well done natural roads. At first, I thought what about a long tunnel under the forest...then, when I sobered up, I'm now thinking why not "half a tunnel"! Why not dig the roadway half way down into the ground, wherever it is feasible, with a lush canopy of native tropical plants growing overhead as camouflage. It could have wildlife passages coming over it in places. In other places it could be elevated through the wetlands. If a bike path is included, it might could intertwine a little, or deviate away in places, just to make the whole thing natural.

Or we could b**ch and moan, Sowaller style, for the next five years... but that's getting old.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
The problem with any of these solutions seems to be that everyone now understands that if you give an inch, THEY take a mile.

That's the problem. What sort of precedent will this set for the future?

The traffic issue is serious, but so is the fact that elected officials will look back and have an easy excuse for more and more and more.

Enough B. :poop:.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm not saying you might not have a point, but the situation is getting to a critical point. I think a seriously legal and binding document can be forged to keep the sanctity of this ONE CONNECTOR ROAD. If you look at the map at the logical layout of all the other old historically useful roads, it is just common sense. I bet most everybody who is asking for this road would be rather content with no more roads after that. Then it will just be a matter of when 30-A goes four lane.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I'm not saying you might not have a point, but the situation is getting to a critical point. I think a seriously legal and binding document can be forged to keep the sanctity of this ONE CONNECTOR ROAD. If you look at the map at the logical layout of all the other old historically useful roads, it is just common sense. I bet most everybody who is asking for this road would be rather content with no more roads after that. Then it will just be a matter of when 30-A goes four lane.
Totally Agree.

The issue is the "legal and binding document"... Don't get me started on those and how they've been enforced. :bang: It seems as if nothing is legal and binding in these here parts...

Let's look at the Wedding House issue. Hey Mark Davis, where is all that money from the suit? It doesn't exist and weddings still go on... And Mark is at a private firm now.

We cannot currently trust the elected officials to handle this in an honest manner. That's my issue with the precedence. Could be solved...

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Well, I'm assuming if this is a state forest, it would have to be state ink on the docs, but then I thought of our governor, and I started to think about getting into some heavy drinking...

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Ha ha ha.

The State is also in charge of the Tops'l "please park here" program which sounds good but actually park sees ZERO dollars from. All that $$$ goes into general fund and is most likely distributed elsewhere. Yet that Campground is one of the TOP in the State.

The "State" is a joke.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Let's rember all watercolors,Watersound,hub where all apart of that forest.A road through power lines will be best for all.
1. those towns were built on private lands, not state.
2. you're opinion is those towns are better than what was there before?
3. not best for all.
4. keep your hands off my lands.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Let's rember all watercolors,Watersound,hub where all apart of that forest.A road through power lines will be best for all.

Does that mean we should keep chopping away at protected forest lands till its all gone..I'm sure that's exactly what the developers have in mind!