• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
This last winter when the temperatures reached below freezing and the South Walton Library was no longer available to help shelter the homeless in SoWal because some uppity folks didn't want "their kind" mucking up there pristine views and made comments that the library stank after keeping them, there was a concerted effort to reach out to the Churches down there by volunteers and when some churches were called they never returned phone calls and that Church has never reached out to help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
This last winter when the temperatures reached below freezing and the South Walton Library was no longer available to help shelter the homeless in SoWal because some uppity folks didn't want "their kind" mucking up there pristine views and made comments that the library stank after keeping them, there was a concerted effort to reach out to the Churches down there by volunteers and when some churches were called they never returned phone calls and that Church has never reached out to help.
This is very telling. If there is proof of this, it needs to be exposed. Total Hypocrisy.

On all sides...

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
This is very telling. If there is proof of this, it needs to be exposed. Total Hypocrisy.

On all sides...

Oh it happened...ask Jeff Goldberg. Frank Day will be happy to tell you that sorted mess.

Beach days

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2017
Freeport
What's sad is we all get to read about is how on happy you are here. I suggest moving. It might make you happy. I know it would make the rest of us happy. By the way I like nipper it's all these negative post about the county from visitors ,local ,bcc. Life guards ,law enforcement.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
What's sad is we all get to read about is how on happy you are here. I suggest moving. It might make you happy. I know it would make the rest of us happy. By the way I like nipper it's all these negative post about the county from visitors ,local ,bcc. Life guards ,law enforcement.

You are not forced to read anything.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
When our officials combine what should be separate, you get all the nuts...

SATANIST REMOVED FROM ECUA MEETING | WZEP AM 1460

"...was removed from the ECUA meeting after trying to pray before the meeting was called to order resulting in a security guard instructed him to leave. After Suhor refused to leave, the guard pulled out what appeared to be a stun gun."

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Is an Establishment Clause violation occurring at government meetings?

One of the most frequent complaints to the Freedom From Religion Foundation from the public over state/church violations concerns government officials opening government meetings with prayer.

It is inappropriate for public officials—many of whom have tax-paid positions and all of whom take an oath to uphold secular constitutions—to schedule prayer at government functions, or open government meetings with prayer and religious ritual.

While the U.S. Supreme Court has issued two unhelpful decisions about prayer at legislative meetings, you can still complain when you encounter government prayer. Just because the Supreme Court carved out an exception for some legislative prayer does not mean legislatures must schedule prayer. They are free to embrace secularism and to be responsive to citizen complaints and the need to avoid excluding constituents.

Without going to court, citizens and the Freedom From Religion Foundation have successfully halted sectarian prayer by local governments. Citizens have even persuaded local boards to drop prayer altogether or to substitute a moment of silence.

Citizens of all religions or no religion are compelled to come before local government bodies on civic, secular matters: variances, sewers, permits, licenses, repair, etc. They should not be subjected to a religious show or test, or be expected to bow heads and demonstrate religious obeisance at a government function. (We fail to see why divine guidance is needed over such earthly matters, anyway.)

Nor is it necessary to pray on taxpayers’ time and dime. Members of government boards are free to pray privately or to worship on their own time in their own way. When government bodies lend their power and prestige to religion, this amounts to a governmental endorsement that exclude one-fifth of the population —today one in five adult Americans is nonreligious. This practice inevitably will turn minorities, including atheists, Jews, Muslims, Hindus and Wiccans, into second-class citizens. Even when prayers are “nondenominational,” there is no way a government body may conduct prayer that will not inevitably exclude, divide and embarrass at least some taxpayers and constituents.

Even the Jesus of the New Testament condemned public prayer: “Enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut the door, pray to thy Father which is in secret” (Matt. 6:5-13).

Observing a strict separation of church and state will offend no one and include all citizens.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
When our officials combine what should be separate, you get all the nuts...

SATANIST REMOVED FROM ECUA MEETING | WZEP AM 1460

"...was removed from the ECUA meeting after trying to pray before the meeting was called to order resulting in a security guard instructed him to leave. After Suhor refused to leave, the guard pulled out what appeared to be a stun gun."

From the article...
Suhor has a long local history of advocating for religious freedom. He has allegedly challenged the Escambia County School District board, the Escambia County Board of County Commissioners and the Pensacola City Council to allow him and other members of non-traditional religions equal time and opportunity to express their beliefs, or lack thereof, at public events. He has repeatedly called for meeting invocations to be replaced with a moment of silence, and said county officials must honor the beliefs of either all or none.

I don't disagree with that....whether you think he's a nut job or not. That is the reason Church and State should always remain separate.

Just out of curiosity also...how many displaced families & pets did Did Christian International help during Irma and Harvey aside from praying for them?? Prayer is great but those folks need resources!

P.S. I thought it quite comical that during Irma the County was begging for volunteers. I guess Christian International is above actually getting in the trenches and getting their hands dirty.