• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
A thread for newcomers (and those who have been here a while but have often wondered) to ask the natives and long timers who/what/where/when.

My first question: I remember driving 98 in Walton County from Destin to PCB back in the 80s and it was two lanes. Which existing two lanes are the original road, east or west bound? And when was the four lane opened up?

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Wow the 4 laning was a huge milestone. Hard to remember the year. maybe around 2000? I think it was eastbound that was added.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I can remember driving to Destin from SRB and veering off to the right on rew 98 at the outlet mall and driving into darkness that was blacker than ink! There were no lights at all for a while until development took over.

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
Another question: if you look on a map (satellite view) along Front Beach Road in PCB it looks like there WERE coastal dune lakes, but they have been cut off from the natural in/out flow by Front Beach Road. I assume that since SoWal was basically isolated and undeveloped for so long is what allowed for the SoWal coastal dune lakes to survive and be preserved. Anyone know if there were CDLs like SoWal's in Bay County?

Map view of PCB: خرائط Google‏

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
Another question: if you look on a map (satellite view) along Front Beach Road in PCB it looks like there WERE coastal dune lakes, but they have been cut off from the natural in/out flow by Front Beach Road. I assume that since SoWal was basically isolated and undeveloped for so long is what allowed for the SoWal coastal dune lakes to survive and be preserved. Anyone know if there were CDLs like SoWal's in Bay County?

\

I believe the pond to the North of Pineapple Willy's is/was a coastal dune lake.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
The radar images on Google maps are interesting. Near several of the lakes, you can see some sort of drainage on the beach. Are there culverts under the sand?

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL

I am pretty sure at one time there were several but they didnt realize what they had and many were filled in and built on.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
About the four-laning of 98 - it was the eastbound lanes that were added. After that was done, the westbound lanes were widened and repaved as to match. I worked in the old Rivard Realty building when it was the South Walton Courthouse Annex and I remember being told that we were all sitting in the middle of the future westbound lane. It was hard to picture but now you can't even picture a building being there. Same with J.D. Miller's old gas station and former home further down.