• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Duchess

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach/Reynoldstown
The Retreat in Blue Mountain has restarted sending their security guard out to ask people on beach to move. It started last week sometime but I only witnessed it today. I know I've posted about this before; humor me. I know he's just doing his job, yadda yadda yadda. He is both asking people to move and today, telling people, "well, you don't have to move now but we'll start enforcing it July 1st". The SO was called out on Sunday afternoon and spoke at length with 2 of our house-guests. The Officer said that the couple didn't have to move and he hated being called all the way down to the beach when, you know, a tropical storm was headed our way. Great use of resources, Retreat!

What bothered me most was that the gentleman/security guard was successful in getting about 4 or 5 young men to move. They just skedaddled. The large family and I he spoke with didn't. There was another young couple, face down in the sand on a towel sunning themselves, who didn't even engage him in conversation. HE TOOK A PHOTO OF THEM.

I tried getting a photo of him. I don't doubt all the photos he took (pretty sure he got me) will go into the report he said he'd have to file. I just think it's major league skeevy to take a photo of a dude and his bikini-clad girlfriend without their
knowledge. Creepy.

Like I wrote, long month. This guard did not have his facts straight, would not even acknowledge the concept of the MHW line, talked in circles. Good luck, Blue Mountain beachgoers! I brought up with the guard that he was accomplishing nothing but scaring off tourists who bring lots and lots of $$$ to this area all year long. Didn't phase him a bit, just his job. He also told me that I obviously "knew the ropes". I have decided to take it to mean I know that I have a right to park my caboose near the water's edge pretty much anywhere in the state of Florida. Great day, everyone.

Lisalisa

Beach Comber
Jul 20, 2014
This is just the beginning of the madness.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sheriff adkinson recently said it is not legal for beach front owners to shoot Beach goers. As reported In this week's Defuniak Herald.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
The issue can be alleviated to a degree by stopping beach vendors from being able to occupy 50% of the PUBLIC beach. Stop allowing the setup of chairs unless they are paid for. Implement a tag system that is attached to every umbrella with verifiable info for that day’s customer.

No setups unless already paid for. Make customer records always available to enforcement.

Now, I know that this is not workable when there are folks who have the power to make the change have relatives who are beach vendors.

The current policy is nuts and will only continue to exacerbate the battle for the beach.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Also on Vendor Mafia... Make them set up 15' back from wet sand...like PCB,Gulf Shores,St.Pete beach..on and on...

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
The issue can be alleviated to a degree by stopping beach vendors from being able to occupy 50% of the PUBLIC beach. Stop allowing the setup of chairs unless they are paid for. Implement a tag system that is attached to every umbrella with verifiable info for that day’s customer.

No setups unless already paid for. Make customer records always available to enforcement.

Now, I know that this is not workable when there are folks who have the power to make the change have relatives who are beach vendors.

The current policy is nuts and will only continue to exacerbate the battle for the beach.

I've bitched about 50% of our beaches being given to vendors FOR FREE since customary use became such a heated issue.

VOTE C. Jones out to effect real change!