• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I have no problem with Dave making money at either a public or private beach in SoWal. And also have him advocate for us all to have the right to use our beaches as we have for generations.

Anyone trying to make an argument about his business is grasping for straws.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
In a word, YES. The beach behind Bud & Alley's is public. You can set up chairs or rent them and you can use my businesses bathrooms without having to spend a cent. The developer has chosen to make the downtown beach public. The rest of Seaside has private access to the homeowner areas. Come anytime.

Ok, that’s great to know that we can all now use what equates to a large regional public beach access at your restaurant. So that I’m clear, I can access the beach via the area at your restaurant, but then set up my chairs and belongings in front of one of the developer’s private beach accesses per customary use, correct?

We need to get the word out that this is a public access. Most people probably didn’t know this. I’ve been visiting the area since 1988 and had no idea! It’s a great access with great facilities!

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Ok, that’s great to know that we can all now use what equates to a large regional public beach access at your restaurant. So that I’m clear, I can access the beach via the area at your restaurant, but then set up my chairs and belongings in front of one of the developer’s private beach accesses per customary use, correct?

We need to get the word out that this is a public access. Most people probably didn’t know this. I’ve been visiting the area since 1988 and had no idea! It’s a great access with great facilities!
No one said anything about setting up on private property.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
No one said anything about setting up on private property.

But isn’t the beach in front of the “private accesses” actually PUBLIC property according to the customary use concept? Isn’t that what the customary use debate is all about? I’m not taking about “private access” pavilions, I’m talking about the sandy beach in front of them. Can I “sit on a towel” any of the dry sand there?

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
But isn’t the beach in front of the “private accesses” actually PUBLIC property according to the customary use concept? Isn’t that what the customary use debate is all about? I’m not taking about “private access” pavilions, I’m talking about the sandy beach in front of them. Can I “sit on a towel” any of the dry sand there?
Stop over thinking it and catch some rays.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010

Beginning midnight tonight, you may not do so. Doing so after that is trespassing. From the Gulf to th4e MHWL or ECL is public. Private beach landward of MHWL or ECL is off limits to the general public.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
So perhaps I should ask Dave:

Could my family and I come and park our vehicle in a public parking space near the beachfront restaurant and then go set up our chairs and umbrellas in front of the beachfront restaurant and spend the day there? Would the beachfront restaurant and its surrounding community allow us to do that even if we are not eating there or staying there?
Starbucks would..all welcome to use wifi and bathrooms and buy nothing..gotta be PC.you know