• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Easternlake lady

Beach Comber
Jun 17, 2013
We come down to Seagrove at least every other week. We have a house about a block north of the beach and a block west of the lake and usually set up (our own) two chairs and an umbrella on the (county owned) sand between the lake outlet and the gulf waters edge. No problems for us (so far). As an aside, today was a good day for folks looking for a place to set up. The wet sand goes at least twenty feet from the waters edge.

However my husband said when he walked our dog this morning he saw signs at the Ramsgate walkover indicating it was private property. Since it has Walton Co signs I always thought it was county owned (public). So I walked down the beach from Eastern Lake to take a look. I was surprised to see private property and No trespassing signs in front of almost every condo building and single family home!! See attached pics. But what really got me was when I saw the signs at the Ramsgate walkover. Nothing on signs to indicate who put signs up - just signs saying no tents or canopies. Right by the signs were several vendor umbrellas basically forming a tent () with three guys. I asked whose signs those were and after a pause one of them said it was theirs - they had a contract with Ramsgate and the people on the other side of the walkway. I pointed out that the county owned a strip of land the width of the walkway down to the waters edge. The young man said No - this is a zero setback area (?) and I would see that if I looked at the survey. Is this true?? I will say he was polite. But good grief - there must have been a hundred of this vendors chairs set up. What a gold mine for them...

Attachments

• FC56BF48-B609-450C-A017-57F4ED76FBDC.jpeg
    FC56BF48-B609-450C-A017-57F4ED76FBDC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 507
  • E4D1763F-D53B-49C6-A48B-5FBE3ABC060F.jpeg
    E4D1763F-D53B-49C6-A48B-5FBE3ABC060F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 599
  • 742C33C4-07C1-45BC-96F1-A1729F640727.jpeg
    742C33C4-07C1-45BC-96F1-A1729F640727.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 506
  • 43BCB93B-0935-48CD-861E-840FEB9928BE.jpeg
    43BCB93B-0935-48CD-861E-840FEB9928BE.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 497
  • 9FCE45A1-95D2-431B-BCEE-61CFC42551A2.jpeg
    9FCE45A1-95D2-431B-BCEE-61CFC42551A2.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 505
  • 869F9349-8C96-4129-81C4-6A03613002CC.jpeg
    869F9349-8C96-4129-81C4-6A03613002CC.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 519
  • B369100A-2703-4FD8-B373-329532703174.jpeg
    B369100A-2703-4FD8-B373-329532703174.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 553
  • B69EF47F-9765-40E9-9E32-88E351ED5EA5.jpeg
    B69EF47F-9765-40E9-9E32-88E351ED5EA5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 514
  • A1C5ECAE-6133-45C6-8CDE-120A5E1FBD7F.jpeg
    A1C5ECAE-6133-45C6-8CDE-120A5E1FBD7F.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 516
  • 56CE8D8F-E55A-4848-BF01-9C358E63F243.jpeg
    56CE8D8F-E55A-4848-BF01-9C358E63F243.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 491

beachmax

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2017
30-A
This just shows how things have changed since the BCC decided to attempt to impose customary use on property owners. Their actions have caused a sea change in the way private property owners must operate. The beach vendors you encountered now serve as a private security detail in addition to their nuisance value on public beaches. More unintended consequences.

CartoonMark

Beach Lover
Apr 11, 2012
We come down to Seagrove at least every other week. We have a house about a block north of the beach and a block west of the lake and usually set up (our own) two chairs and an umbrella on the (county owned) sand between the lake outlet and the gulf waters edge. No problems for us (so far). As an aside, today was a good day for folks looking for a place to set up. The wet sand goes at least twenty feet from the waters edge.

However my husband said when he walked our dog this morning he saw signs at the Ramsgate walkover indicating it was private property. Since it has Walton Co signs I always thought it was county owned (public). So I walked down the beach from Eastern Lake to take a look. I was surprised to see private property and No trespassing signs in front of almost every condo building and single family home!! See attached pics. But what really got me was when I saw the signs at the Ramsgate walkover. Nothing on signs to indicate who put signs up - just signs saying no tents or canopies. Right by the signs were several vendor umbrellas basically forming a tent () with three guys. I asked whose signs those were and after a pause one of them said it was theirs - they had a contract with Ramsgate and the people on the other side of the walkway. I pointed out that the county owned a strip of land the width of the walkway down to the waters edge. The young man said No - this is a zero setback area (?) and I would see that if I looked at the survey. Is this true?? I will say he was polite. But good grief - there must have been a hundred of this vendors chairs set up. What a gold mine for them...

Beach mouse Owner lament jpeg.jpg

Pam Hicks

Beach Lover
Jul 25, 2018
SRB
I had a run in with a vendor there a couple of years ago. A real Ahole. Young punks think they own the place. They need to be put in their place.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013

Beach Vendor Mafia Got YOU........

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I had a run in with a vendor there a couple of years ago. A real Ahole. Young punks think they own the place. They need to be put in their place.
Beach Vendor Mafia Rules .....Game Over.......We (Public) lost..

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
This applies to private and public beaches, right? After looking at your pictures, I'd say there are quite a few violations.

Sec. 22-55. - Prohibition of obstructions and restrictions of signs on the beach.
modified

(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to place, construct, or maintain an obstruction on the beach. Obstructions include, but are not limited to, ropes, chains, signs, or fences.

Exemption. Sand fences which have received all necessary permits from state and federal agencies are exempt from the prohibition contained in this section. Ropes, chains, and fences placed, constructed, or maintained by federal, state, or local governments, or their agents, for the protection of federally protected species are exempt from the prohibition contained in this section.

(b)
It shall be unlawful for any person to place, construct, or maintain a sign on the beach unless it conforms to the following criteria:

(1)
Signs shall not be allowed on the beach between one hour after dusk and one hour after sunrise;

(2)
Signs shall not be permanently affixed or attached to the ground;

(3)
Signs shall be limited in size to 18 inches by 24 inches;

(4)
Signs shall be placed at least 250 feet apart, or at each corner of the property's boundaries if a property line is less than 250 feet;

(5)
Signs shall not be placed seaward of the mean high-water line or erosion control line;

(6)
Signs and any associated supporting structure, column, upright pole, or brace, shall be white and shall be wood or a material made to look like wood;

(7)
The text or content of the signs shall be professionally printed and the color of the text or content of the signs shall be black or selected from the following list from the Munsell Book of Color: Hue 5B, Value 8, Chroma 4; Hue 2.5 PB, Value 4, Chroma 10.

(Ord. No. 2018-0115, 16-825-18

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We were at Seaside in May and returned at the beginning of Aug. Seaside has been putting the banners/posts up in the morning and removing them in the late afternoon as they had for some time and security didn't bother anyone, but we did notice that the area for placing personal chairs & umbrellas had shrunk. (The area when you first come down the steps. The cabana boys claim they reread their contract and took 25 feet from each pavilion. Giving us 50 feet instead of 75.
And we had the new code to use at the gate between the street and the pavilion. The posts for another gate at the top of the steps might not be used for a gate. Thank goodness.
When electricity went out, we didn't have access twice. Had to go around to another ungated pavilion.
At least Seaside has the public area off the main pavilion - for now.
(Also, the motel has been closed for a while. Seaside bought it and is refurbishing it - that's their story. It's parking lot for Seaside employees now. And next month might see the beginning of another deck added to Bud's & a restroom upstairs!)
Ellen