• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
It has been suggested by others on another similarly themed thread that opponents of CU, who by the way are the ones with the law on their side and who privately own their beachfront and want only to be left alone to quietly enjoy their lives without trespassers or thugs bothering them, with particular unwarranted calumny as an accent for the Huckabees and the Linces and the Hackmeyers, move away to a place more to their liking, away from this tolerant, welcoming paradise of Walton County.

The same might be said for those who want to take what is not theirs. The Governor of Oregon has said, rightly or wrongly, that state’s beaches are all open to the public. Sounds as if it might be a great idea for those wanting public beach to move to where that’s all there is. Just as logical and practical an idea as its enantiomer.

Of course, you’d have to put up with the anarchy that prevails in Portland and perhaps elsewhere as Antifa sees fit. There is a remarkable symmetry between the views of those thugs and many on this forum in re let’s impose CU because we want it. Anyone else reminded of juvenile hold my breath and turn blue tantrums? Antifa of course uses weapons and assault as a matter of course there and elsewhere, so don't think it hyperbolic to suggest it could happen here as well.

A bit more introspection and a bit less declamation and condemnation might be useful. Florida’s governor, whomever he might be, cannot legally do as the idiot in Oregon did, nor can the BCC in Walton or anywhere else. The courts will decide CU one way or another.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
It has been suggested by others on another similarly themed thread that opponents of CU, who by the way are the ones with the law on their side and who privately own their beachfront and want only to be left alone to quietly enjoy their lives without trespassers or thugs bothering them, with particular unwarranted calumny as an accent for the Huckabees and the Linces and the Hackmeyers, move away to a place more to their liking, away from this tolerant, welcoming paradise of Walton County.

The same might be said for those who want to take what is not theirs. The Governor of Oregon has said, rightly or wrongly, that state’s beaches are all open to the public. Sounds as if it might be a great idea for those wanting public beach to move to where that’s all there is. Just as logical and practical an idea as its enantiomer.

Of course, you’d have to put up with the anarchy that prevails in Portland and perhaps elsewhere as Antifa sees fit. There is a remarkable symmetry between the views of those thugs and many on this forum in re let’s impose CU because we want it. Anyone else reminded of juvenile hold my breath and turn blue tantrums? Antifa of course uses weapons and assault as a matter of course there and elsewhere, so don't think it hyperbolic to suggest it could happen here as well.

A bit more introspection and a bit less declamation and condemnation might be useful. Florida’s governor, whomever he might be, cannot legally do as the idiot in Oregon did, nor can the BCC in Walton or anywhere else. The courts will decide CU one way or another.

You could be out right now buying property next to a State Park and and then tell people to stay out of it. Or is it cheaper to buy politicians who hand park land over to private interests?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
One more note about the Oregon coastline that is a simple fact with no spin either way on customary use. The jobs are so few along the coast that they passed a law that you can not pump your own fuel. You must wait for a "fuel attendant" to run your credit card and then refuel your vehicle. Our attendant told us that it generated thousands of jobs and he seemed very grateful. Both sides of this issue is right. The wrong is in the want...want what we want when we want it and how we want it...don't want to share with those that want what they want when they want it and how they want it...

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I believe the entire state has been under the same law not allowing people to pump their own gas for a while now. But recently the law has been relaxed in certain ways. And from stories and posts I've seen many Oregonians don't want to pump their own gas! Lol... Weird! But I do miss gas attendants.

Oregon's preservation of its coastline goes far beyond the keeping its beaches open to the public. It's a massive preservation of many miles of coasts, dunes, lakes and forests. Much of it is state or federal park land. I've been reading about the Oregon Coastal Dunes and it's difficult to imagine this vast resource.that is preserved for all time and also enjoyed by many people visiting, hiking, camping, touring and riding dune buggies in certain parts. There are groups and organizations that work to help the dunes thrive because even though they are vast, they are still impacted by development.

FB_IMG_1537543876823.jpg

61frwrObIbL._AC_SY400_.jpg

aerial-image-oregon-dunes-national-260nw-1009385554.jpg

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
You must go visit because the pictures do not do justice. The diversity and accessibility of coastline is Utopian! Or is it? I am just asking the question how do we balance development with pristine wilderness? South Walton did for a long time but the gig is over as for as pristine goes. If you do plan a trip to Oregon I know you will see what I see and ask the questions that I ask. Why is the area so economically depressed? Is that the trade off? Is it an acceptable trade off? Before answering the question you probably should ask why are there are so many Trump bumper stickers and signs. I have freed myself of following either political party. I vote both ways depending on the best choice. It allows me to see the middle and not take sides. This is hard to do and I admit but if you can you will find a disconnection between the people and either political party. If you limit yourself to one side ALL the time you will become an artist of justification. The Democratic Party taught me that lesson during Clinton and the Republican party is teaching me that with Trump. I am not just talking about morals and ethics but a extremely divided people from a two party political system. Should we be this divided? The people that live along the Oregon coastline is a perfect example of what frustration does in the form of politics and justification.

One more thing about the dune system in Oregon. There is nothing like it anywhere I have ever been. One problem though. We stayed in Winchester Bay two nights and the best place we could find bordered camping (which we like to do but not on this trip). The walls were super thin. The carpet was stained. Not much air-conditioning. AND there was a dune buggy festival where all you heard all night was big trucks, trailers and loud noises. Listen I am a redneck and I even found this to be annoying! View areas of the dunes looked like a scene from a Mad Max movie! Beautiful but not exactly pristine :) This was our 2nd trip out there and it seems that infrastructure is deteriorating slightly. We have also traveled to San Francisco and Seattle and it seems that the same thing is happening with infrastructure. I am just trying to make a point that pictures do no tell the whole story and you must travel and interact with the people to find out the whole story.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
You must go visit because the pictures do not do justice. The diversity and accessibility of coastline is Utopian! Or is it? I am just asking the question how do we balance development with pristine wilderness? South Walton did for a long time but the gig is over as for as pristine goes. If you do plan a trip to Oregon I know you will see what I see and ask the questions that I ask. Why is the area so economically depressed? Is that the trade off? Is it an acceptable trade off? Before answering the question you probably should ask why are there are so many Trump bumper stickers and signs. I have freed myself of following either political party. I vote both ways depending on the best choice. It allows me to see the middle and not take sides. This is hard to do and I admit but if you can you will find a disconnection between the people and either political party. If you limit yourself to one side ALL the time you will become an artist of justification. The Democratic Party taught me that lesson during Clinton and the Republican party is teaching me that with Trump. I am not just talking about morals and ethics but a extremely divided people from a two party political system. Should we be this divided? The people that live along the Oregon coastline is a perfect example of what frustration does in the form of politics and justification.

One more thing about the dune system in Oregon. There is nothing like it anywhere I have ever been. One problem though. We stayed in Winchester Bay two nights and the best place we could find bordered camping (which we like to do but not on this trip). The walls were super thin. The carpet was stained. Not much air-conditioning. AND there was a dune buggy festival where all you heard all night was big trucks, trailers and loud noises. Listen I am a redneck and I even found this to be annoying! View areas of the dunes looked like a scene from a Mad Max movie! Beautiful but not exactly pristine :) This was our 2nd trip out there and it seems that infrastructure is deteriorating slightly. We have also traveled to San Francisco and Seattle and it seems that the same thing is happening with infrastructure. I am just trying to make a point that pictures do no tell the whole story and you must travel and interact with the people to find out the whole story.
Thoughtful perspectives, observations, and questions. Thanks!

Andrew543

Beach Comber
Oct 4, 2018
30A
So true. Let's all hope it becomes a Republican utopia full of many fine people like this.
As a matter of fact, wasn't that an independent candidate running (and losing) against a Republican?

(I found this thread interesting, and these posts amusing, but thought this may be a fair thing to note....regardless of what that candidate was or wasn't trying to say with that brilliant move).