• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
By Jason Blakeney | Daily News Executive Editor
Posted at 9:00 AM
Updated at 9:24 AM

With most local elections behind us and the summer tourist season winding down, you might think it’s time for a little local relaxation at beaches along the Emerald Coast.

Unfortunately, that isn’t the case.

In Friday’s, edition Daily News’ Annie Blanks reported on an unfortunate incident in south Walton County.

A man was arrested for criminal mischief under $200 and booked into the Walton County Jail, Blanks reported, after destroying no trespassing signs on the beach. He was upset, according to the arrest report, because “the property owner causing his guest grief for being on the beach above the mean high tide water line.”

This act in itself is embarrassing. It doesn’t bode well for the reputation of the area. But the most embarrassing part is reaction to the story on social media.
The word “hero” is getting thrown around, and for that, the people using it, “liking” it and supporting it should be ashamed.

To be clear, this man wasn’t arrested because of his opposition to House Bill 631 or his support of customary use. He wasn’t arrested for peacefully protesting. He wasn’t arrested for expressing the belief that all beaches in Florida should be public.

He was arrested because he destroyed someone else’s property. And this is where the line should be drawn.

Regardless of what side of the HB 631 argument you live on, this can’t be normalized, accepted or enjoyed. Acts like this only guarantee more turmoil.

If you support customary use, encouraging others to break the law isn’t OK. It doesn’t matter if you believe all people have a fundamental right to use the beach. Right now, HB 631 is the law. Right now, legally, you don’t have a right to use some of the beach. Right now, you have a clear legal path to get that right back.

How can those supporting customary use expect homeowners not to react with ignorance and violence if that’s what they are confronted with? And what if you do win in court? What if customary use is again enacted? What if you can return to recreationally using the entire beach? Do you expect homeowners to follow those rules? Of course you do.

The point is that we can’t pick and choose which laws and ordinances we choose to follow. You don’t have to like the result of HB 631, but it’s the law. It doesn’t matter that it’s a bill that shows corruption in the Legislature. It doesn’t matter that it targeted Walton County. It doesn’t matter that it isn’t popular.

Encouraging the behavior and insulting real heroes who risk their lives in our community and around the world to enforce our laws and defend our freedom is not acceptable.

Behavior on both sides of this issue has been ridiculous. Grow up, Walton County. There is no excuse for this.

Jason Blakeney is the executive editor of the Northwest Florida Daily News. You can reach him at jblakeney@nwfdailynews.com or 315-4404.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Wow. I certainly haven't seen a single person support this guy. Much less call him hero. His behavior is unlawful and hurtful to the cause of customary use. How many people did this writer see supporting this kind of behavior to tell us all to grow up?
It was mostly social media and even comments on newspaper reports about it. It was a little mind boggling.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Wow. I certainly haven't seen a single person support this guy. Much less call him hero. His behavior is unlawful and hurtful to the cause of customary use. How many people did this writer see supporting this kind of behavior to tell us all to grow up?

I think going to Vizcaya (not once but twice) to antagonize the homeowners is just as disrespectful and according to the law, trespassing is also an arrest-able misdemeanor. Harassment isn't kool.

I support customary use but early on I didn't like a lot of things that occurred.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
"The grains of beach sand must be refreshed from time to time with the ink of no trespassing signs. It is its natural manure."

Thomas Jefferson, Spring Break 1776

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think going to Vizcaya (not once but twice) to antagonize the homeowners is just as disrespectful and according to the law, trespassing is also an arrest-able misdemeanor. Harassment isn't kool.

I support customary use but early on I didn't like a lot of things that occurred.

Civil disobedience is a very important form of protest when our right to peacefully sit on a beach is at stake. You may not agree but that doesn't make it any less effective or important. Maybe you have a different idea and that's fine.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Civil disobedience is a very important form of protest when our right to peacefully sit on a beach is at stake. You may not agree but that doesn't make it any less effective or important. Maybe you have a different idea and that's fine.
Civil disobedience generally won't get you arrested. Tresspassing can.