• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
I run through that area as there are some trails and sandy timber roads that connect Pt Washington State Forest and Deer Lake State Park including the powerline sandy road and it’s immediate vicinity. There are several osprey nests and a wetlands patch right in the middle of it, and I’ve seen racks or scat from just about every wild animal that’s native to the area. I guess this road is absolutely necessary to make the area more accessible to all the increasingly dense inland rental and residential development development development.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
I have written the state and will again asking them to NOT approve the connector road. The state has to approve any roads going through the state forest. But that does not stop four of the BCC braintrust from thinking that giving $600,000 to an engineering firm is a good idea.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
A number of options have been looked at for another connector road. With every one of them there are common sense issues. Options either split the forest, damage wetlands, fauna, and wildlife habitat, too near to Watersound Parkway to make a difference, too near to 395 to make a difference, affect a neighborhood and on and on. Unfortunately, the favored option by those pushing for a road is along the power lines that already exist. Alabama Power may have issue with that (they own/have the easement), not to mention that Forestry is likely to say NO. About the only way I can imagine a road being approved at all through the forest would be to make it an elevated road and they cost big bucks so I find it hard to imagine Walton County spending the money for that. Worst of all is that all the St. Joe sector building that is going to occur over the next 50 years may end up using that road to get to the beach unless St. Joe is going to open up it's Watercolor/sound properties to their other developments. Building more roads typically brings more people. Just an unfortunate reality.

Excellent review of the issue. Once again, we have a solution in search of solving the wrong problem.

The problem is the density of 30A is already past it's peak and now the county is making last ditch efforts to fix the over-density they created (or assisted the real estate industry in creating). These are bad decisions on top of bad decisions.

This isn't rocket science, it's simple math. When you have a neighborhood of residential homes with 2 adults in each home, and then turn them into mini-hotels with occupancy of 20 people, all you need to do is look at the number of cars in the driveways. Those cars are going on 30A.

There is only a need for more roads three months out of the year and tourist popular holidays. That should tell you all you need to know.

Over-density is already here. The answer is not to destroy what unspoiled natural areas we have left. This is our moment to stop the madness.

Shannon

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
I have written the state and will again asking them to NOT approve the connector road. The state has to approve any roads going through the state forest. But that does not stop four of the BCC braintrust from thinking that giving $600,000 to an engineering firm is a good idea.

Thanks for doing this - can you post the body of your letter and where you sent it please? I too would like to make my voice heard and I'm sure others would as well. I have no confidence in our BCC's ability to make appropriate growth or protection decisions.

When I first heard about a road through a forest I realized these investors would burn down their neighbor's house to get more parking for their renters.

Shannon

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I run through that area as there are some trails and sandy timber roads that connect Pt Washington State Forest and Deer Lake State Park including the powerline sandy road and it’s immediate vicinity. There are several osprey nests and a wetlands patch right in the middle of it, and I’ve seen racks or scat from just about every wild animal that’s native to the area. I guess this road is absolutely necessary to make the area more accessible to all the increasingly dense inland rental and residential development development development.
When Governor Scott was in town he said he would do whatever was needed to get you people your vital connector road.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Is this for real?

I would love to read a transcript if it exists.
Proposed Seagrove Road Through Point Washington State Forest

"What do you need me to do," asked Governor Rick Scott, State of Florida.

Tony Anderson, Walton County Commissioner replied, "We just need to get approval to do it."

"We need to get it run up to you. I think they (the County) are still working on some studies, they have to do to get it in front of the Cabinet," added Sheriff Adkinson.

"So, we are going to see if there is a way to accelerate that and then we, you know, we have been able to dramatically increase our State Budget for transportation," said Governor Scott.

Without the Cabinet's approval to expedite the process, the idea will be back to square one.

Governor Scott has less than seven months left in office. He says told Walton County Commissioners he plans to discuss the idea with the Cabinet during one of their future meetings.

einnadica

Beach Lover
Nov 25, 2017
NW Florida
Too too bad the county doesn't have an engineer leading Roads and Bridges. Had a great one a while back but opted instead to hire an equipment operator to run the largest department of the BCC. Administration chases away the qualified professionals so their will be done though they lack expertise in many fields. They favor the corrupt so they can just take and take from the taxpayers. The corrupt won't tell, just as long as they get a share or bank a future favor. Just take a look at the professional histories of the current male administrators. With the installation of new board members things may change the county's rep and mission (does it have one) but only if commishes take a long hard look at those two. What with #MeToo, rising racial tensions, and hiring "friends" who are thieves, misogynists and illiterates I guess the lawsuits will continue. Where are the women in impactful positions? Where are the people of color in salaried positions? Commishes...wake up and serve your constituents, ALL of them and please, please, watch your administrators x 2.

South Walton Community Council

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
BCC meeting tomorrow:

33.19-0328 - Pdf
Request approval to schedule a Special Meeting for the South Walton Connector Road PD&E Study presentation and update in August

HISTORY:  August 11, 2015-BCC approved to request Atkins to begin updating the Study and to bring a Scope of Work and Cost Estimate to the Board.  February 9, 2016-BCC approved Task order No. 16-01 with Atkins Engineering.  December 13, 2016-BCC approved the Atkins Engineering 30A Traffic Study.  February 14, 2017-BCC approved to look at Alternate 4 and to look at the east boundary.  February 13, 2018-BCC approved for staff to develop an RFQ for the PD&E Study (least impactful method to alleviate traffic on 30A) and bring back to the BCC for approval to advertise.  March 13, 2018-BCC approved the SCOP of Services for CR 30A PD&E Study and to advertise an RFQ as presented.  May 17, 2018-RFQ 018-027 closed.  June 28, 2018- BCC awarded RFQ 018-027 PD&E Services for SW Connector Roads and approved to begin negotiations.  August 28, 2018-BCC approved to advertise and hold a public hearing to recognize $597,750.00 from the Proportionate Fair Share fund for the professional design & engineering services for the South Walton Connector Road 30A & Hwy 98.  September 11, 2018-BCC approved Contract No. 018-027 PD&E Services for South Walton Connector Road with Atkins North America, Inc. in the amount of $597,780.00. BCC approved a Resolution to recognize Proportionate Fair Share Fund in the amount of $597,780.00 for the professional design and engineering services for the South Walton Connector Road from 30A to Hwy 98.