• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Coco3

Beach Crab
Mar 31, 2019
Alabama
Hello! After vacationing in Rosemary beach for several years, we are considering a move to the area and hoped you could answer some questions.

We love the Rosemary/Alys beach area. Do any locals actually live there or is it entirely vacation homes/rentals? If you chose to live in these areas, would it be difficult to get to doctors offices, run errands, etc?

We have lived in areas before with very active newcomers clubs that plug you in with locals-does anything like that exist here? If not, how hard is it to meet people here?

Our kids are ages 1 and 5. We are open to public and private schools. What do the locals think about the schools, and does anybody have any preschools they strongly recommend? And any to steer clear of (I’m not trying to start a fight!)?

Does the area have good indoor activities for kids when it rains?

We truly appreciate any ideas or info. Thanks!!

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Hello! After vacationing in Rosemary beach for several years, we are considering a move to the area and hoped you could answer some questions.
That's usually what happens. Some people never adjust to SoWal time.

We love the Rosemary/Alys beach area. Do any locals actually live there or is it entirely vacation homes/rentals? If you chose to live in these areas, would it be difficult to get to doctors offices, run errands, etc?
Very few locals on that end of the beaches. Many people from cities are disappointed in lack of, well everything. It is up to you to adjust to this place. Not the other way around.

We have lived in areas before with very active newcomers clubs that plug you in with locals-does anything like that exist here? If not, how hard is it to meet people here?
Just go to the beach and do outdoor stuff.

Our kids are ages 1 and 5. We are open to public and private schools. What do the locals think about the schools, and does anybody have any preschools they strongly recommend? And any to steer clear of (I’m not trying to start a fight!)?
Schools are busting at the seams and have the same problems every other underfunded districts in America do.

No. When it rains, take a nap.

Don't come unless you are OK paying more for less. If you love the beach more than life itself then you might be happy in SoWal.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008

Great place to live but we have some growing pains and millions of tourists. It is very expensive.

Do you have employment lined up?

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Thanks! We work from home and can be anywhere.
Some locals live near the beach but most know to be 10 minutes away - check out waterfront in point Washington. You are close to everything and can avoid tourists when needed. Also close to the new elementary school about to open.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
My wife is a realtor at Rosemary Beach Realty. We moved here five years ago from Texas. So I have some insight into your questions.

About 30% of Rosemary is full tume and there is a large amount that are half time.

I would strongly suggest that you look at the Ohana School in Rosemary. It isnt just a school, it is also a social network for those that have school aged kids.I know that they do a lot outside of school as well.

If you want more of a neighborhood feel with lots of 30 somethings and kids and a considerably lower price point, then Watersound Origins is a good choice. Not walking distance to restaurants or the beach, but very close it is a St Joes community and they have private clubs that have a really robust social calendar including neighborhood activities at Origins.

We have had several friends from Texas move here full or part time.

Email my wife Marilyn mcarson@rosemarybeachrealty.com or PM me.

Lisa24

Beach Comber
Mar 27, 2018
Freeport

I would question how many of the residents of Rosemary are of your age group.

There are many threads on the Walton FB page that are currently discussing the lack of good doctors. I have found and myself included that if I need anything of a serious nature you go to the Mayo in Jacksonville, Atlanta or Gulf Shores. With little ones I would only guess that it would be difficult to find a super great pediatrician as most people in this area are on the opposite age scale. But, remember everyones requirements for a "good doctor" is different.

No newcomer clubs. As someone stated earlier, go to the beach, join a few local charity programs, church, your kids school programs and get involved in the Walton County "issues". That is a big get to know your neighbor group :) If you are kind and talk to those around you; you will make friends quickly.

Our kids are ages 1 and 5. We are open to public and private schools. What do the locals think about the schools, and does anybody have any preschools they strongly recommend? And any to steer clear of (I’m not trying to start a fight!)? Can't answer this one as everyone has a different requirement.

Does the area have good indoor activities for kids when it rains? Nope.

Note: Living in Paradise isn't always paradise. It used to be but now that we have over built and most of the over built properties are rental properties 30A can get CRAZY from March to September and then a few weeks in between due to more tourists than the area can handle. Which means you "may" find yourself frustrated with many, many things. Also, with the Customary Use issues currently impacting Walton County means that if you do NOT live on the beach then you will be restricted to very small and overly crowded public beach areas. You will get to know the term Beach Access versus Beach USE. So, if you are moving here to go to the beach then you might want to slide to the east or west and not purchase in Walton County. (I know this is a dividing topic in Walton at the moment - but this is a very important topic I think everyone should fully understand before moving to Walton County)

If you do make the choice; Welcome and enjoy. Just note that for those of us who do live here full time we do our best to Welcome everyone, take care of one another and remember we do live on BEACH TIME. So, slow down, say Good Morning to everyone, pick up the trash that you see and help your neighbors. We strive to Keep Paradise as beautiful and peaceful as possible.