• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

customary user

Beach Comber
Jul 2, 2009
I have always enjoyed our visits to the area but have heard that there is very few places to hang on the beach like we've always done. We have a lot of choices of places to go should we cross South Walton off the list? Thanks for the feedback.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I have always enjoyed our visits to the area but have heard that there is very few places to hang on the beach like we've always done. We have a lot of choices of places to go should we cross South Walton off the list? Thanks for the feedback.
Which South Walton beaches did you go to before that you enjoyed?

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
Unfortunately, my family and I won’t be going back until the customary use issue has been settled and we used to visit several times a year for more than a decade. Heck, we were extremely close to buying a place. I thought the rapacious beach vendors were bad, but the CU decision is appalling. We love 30a and have artwork and merchandise throughout the house so it’s no small matter :sosad:

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
The beach is the engine of South Walton. Any relators or rental companies out there against customary use?

customary user

Beach Comber
Jul 2, 2009
Which South Walton beaches did you go to before that you enjoyed?
We have been to Dune Allen, Inlet Beach, Seacrest, Grayton and many more. I am thinking that there are other places where beaches are open, people are friendly, prices are cheaper - after generations in South Walton I am very saddened by the idea that beaches are closing off or gated. After hurricanes, oil spill and red tide ... it appears people with large bank accounts tare succeeding in spoiling the best beaches in the world.

Sweet Pot Pie

Beach Comber
Aug 26, 2013
This is likely a dumb question, but with regards to this debate I must ask. When someone buys property adjoining the beach, how does the contract read? Does it say that they own down to the water line?

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
The deed is either to the bottom of the dunes or to the mean high water line.
I would avoid Sowal until this issue is resolved.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
This is likely a dumb question, but with regards to this debate I must ask. When someone buys property adjoining the beach, how does the contract read? Does it say that they own down to the water line?
After they buy a Quiet Title ( Lot extensions) for a 100 Bucks..yes

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
We have been to Dune Allen, Inlet Beach, Seacrest, Grayton and many more. I am thinking that there are other places where beaches are open, people are friendly, prices are cheaper - after generations in South Walton I am very saddened by the idea that beaches are closing off or gated. After hurricanes, oil spill and red tide ... it appears people with large bank accounts tare succeeding in spoiling the best beaches in the world.
We spend most of our time at Grayton Beach. I've never had any problems with the few beach front owners, and there aren't any ropes and chains like you see in other places. Lots of very nice folks here.

The bad is that The Red Bar burned down, it's expensive to rent, and the beach will probably be busier with the CU issues.

The good is that The Red Bar will be rebuilt, Hotz Ave was repaved for better drainage and made one way, and there are plans to build a public restroom. The vendor situation has improved. And we also started planting more trees on Hotz.