• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
One idea. I am not sure how enforcement and auditing has been happening. It's possible that audits are being done remotely by the employee that telecommutes from Birmingham, and a large audit collection can skew numbers. Been there, done that, got a few t-shirts.
More likely though...this could have changed since I left, but traditionally 75 - 80% (at least) of Walton County's bed tax collections come from only 5 companies - none of which are affected by the CU issue because they are largely self-contained, have entertainment, shopping, things that put the heads in their beds - and they also have their own beach. Toss in another six relatively large companies and you now have 85 - 90% of total collections. The point is that no matter how much angst most of the rental companies with properties with limited beach access are going through, collections are going to be up if guests for numbers 1 - 5 keep coming back. And since properties with beach access can now command more of a premium, prices could have increased too.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
One idea. I am not sure how enforcement and auditing has been happening. It's possible that audits are being done remotely by the employee that telecommutes from Birmingham, and a large audit collection can skew numbers. Been there, done that, got a few t-shirts.
More likely though...this could have changed since I left, but traditionally 75 - 80% (at least) of Walton County's bed tax collections come from only 5 companies - none of which are affected by the CU issue because they are largely self-contained, have entertainment, shopping, things that put the heads in their beds - and they also have their own beach. Toss in another six relatively large companies and you now have 85 - 90% of total collections. The point is that no matter how much angst most of the rental companies with properties with limited beach access are going through, collections are going to be up if guests for numbers 1 - 5 keep coming back. And since properties with beach access can now command more of a premium, prices could have increased too.
Who else goes on this list as top ten or so?

Rosemary Beach Cottage Rental Co.
Seaside - Cottage Rental Agency
Gulf Place
Sandestin
Seascape

Resortquest (bought by Wyndham)
360 Blue (bought St. Joe rental biz)
Garrett Realty Vacation Rentals
Dune Allen Realty Vacation Rentals
Ocean Reef (bought Rivard)

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington

Gulf Place
Sandestin
Seascape

Gulf Place
Sandestin
Seascape

HeHeHe...highly confidential info - though I haven't been under the county confidentiality agreement for 4 years. You are pretty close - missed two major ones and three of those, while sizable, didn't make the top ten back in the day.

And by confidential...even the TDC by Florida Statute cannot get confirmation of who the top ones are (though staff has a pretty good idea) or how much each one collects. Most people are surprised to learn that. We did have a former TDC director that went so far as to have the statute changed, but the resulting changes not only didn't accomplish what he wanted, it made statistical reporting more stringent. Boy was that a difficult conversation to have.,,

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
HeHeHe...highly confidential info - though I haven't been under the county confidentiality agreement for 4 years. You are pretty close - missed two major ones and three of those, while sizable, didn't make the top ten back in the day.

And by confidential...even the TDC by Florida Statute cannot get confirmation of who the top ones are (though staff has a pretty good idea) or how much each one collects. Most people are surprised to learn that. We did have a former TDC director that went so far as to have the statute changed, but the resulting changes not only didn't accomplish what he wanted, it made statistical reporting more stringent. Boy was that a difficult conversation to have.,,
Seems like freedom of information act or sunshine law should allow it to be public.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Seems like freedom of information act or sunshine law should allow it to be public.
Not subject to the Sunshine Law. The bed tax is governed by the same set of statutes that the Florida Department of Revenue is bound by regarding state sales tax. The only parties information can be shared with is the Department of Revenue and other counties with whom you might share a rental company with (joint enforcement). And then, only if used for official purposes - and only certain people in any county are granted access. Each person has to sign a confidentiality agreement and also sign a form to turn back in the the Department of Revenue.
I miss the people I met and *most* of the people I used to work with. I don't miss the red tape.