• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
The 2nd image allows the reader to see all of the last column.

Ellen P

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 254
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    987.6 KB · Views: 234

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
All the reasons that we bought a lot in Grayton 18 years ago to retire. Still have the lot but all the places we love are gone! Patrone's and Criolla's were our favorites! Back to the drawing board!

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Thanks for posting the blast from the past...

"East of Sandestin along 30A the pretension drops to zero."

:)
Should have bought stock in "pretension" at that time... it has skyrocketed since then.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Thanks for sharing this 1993 article. Wonderful. We were still only visitors to Grayton Beach then. Definitely miss the old days of Patrone's with the palapa on the lake. Dogs and dirt/shell roads and wide open beaches with no rules or restrictions. The days of the original Grayton Corner Cafe. And The Red Bar was very new in the old store building. I believe The Red Bar just celebrated 26 years at the first of this year. Now about to start the rebuild.

BTW please visit our Hotz Ave businesses when you are nearby. Stop in The Zoo Gallery, celebrating 40 years! Chiringo, Gypseas and Kelly Surf Shop. All great places downtown Grayton Beach.

Hot sand. Cold beer.
Nice dogs. Strange people.
Slow down. You're here.

Grayton will always be unique and funky. Even as it grows and changes. The memories are never very far. Hibiscus Coffee & Guesthouse is a wonderful reminder of old Florida. And the old Grayton Corner Cafe is now at Mystic Porte and is a funky and casual diner the locals have discovered. Gems are still here if you know where to find them.

Some town traditions also keep going such as the 4th of July Parade and the Rags to Riches Regatta. I love the Dogs of Grayton art now at the Shops of Grayton. Check out the recent addition of local outdoor art pieces at the beach access road. And GRAYTON BEACH painted in large letters recently restored to Defuniak Street which once served as an air navigation marker.

FB_IMG_1564754481931.jpg

The Red Bar story and updates
The Red Bar in Grayton Beach Destroyed by Fire

020306-patrones-030.jpg

Patrone's photos:
Patrones

Last edited:

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
We've been heading over to 30A since late 80s maybe. Have other papers I've saved plus photos (before smart phones). I'll sit down soon and share those. (I remember the road to Grayton lined with artists? Or was that Grayton? )