• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

South Walton Community Council

Community Organization
Jan 17, 2007
www.southwaltoncc.org
On the agenda for the next BCC meeting, 2/25/20, the Walton TDC will:

Request approval to advertise and hold a Public Hearing to consider an Ordinance amending Ordinances 86-18 and 98-2 (establishing the initial Tourist Development Tax and the Third Cent Tourist Development Tax) (as amended by Ordinances 91-5, 91-9, 01-12, 94-14, 97-38, 00-19, 0201, 04-06, 07-98, 08-33, 09-11, 14-02, 16-01 and 18-03, which address collection issues and prior Tourist Development Plans), and updating the previously adopted Walton County Tourist Development Plan with anticipated revenue and expenses for the 24 months beginning January 1,2020

The anticipated net tourist development tax revenue to be derived by the County for the 24 months following the levy of the tax at 5% is approximately 64 Million Dollars($64,000,000.00).

The following is a list, in the order of priority, of the proposed uses of the funds anticipated expense allocation for each specific project or special use:
1) Tourism Advertising/Promotions/Materials$ 12,800,000 –$ 13,184,000
2) Shoulder Season Advertising/Promotions$ 12,800,000 –$ 13,184,000
3) Beach Nourishment / High Impact$ 12,800,000 –$ 13,184,000
4) Beach Maintenance / Development$ 9,600,000 –$ 9,888,000
5) Product Development$ 6,400,000 –$ 6,592,000
6) Administration $ 9,600,000 –$ 9,888,000

Stone Cold J

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2019
SRB
The anticipated net tourist development tax revenue to be derived by the County for the 24 months following the levy of the tax at 5% is approximately 64 Million Dollars($64,000,000.00).

Here is a $64 million dollar question. Why spend any more on beach advertising until we improve the infrastructure for our unique and sensitive ecosystem? We already have more tourists than the infrastructure is capable of handling without non reversible ecological damage.

Spend the money on improving the infrastructure, adding bathrooms, protect our unique coastal dune lakes and improve water quality and purchasing more public beaches, If money is spent for advertising, then develop and target non-30A destinations in Walton County to diversify our economy and reduce the ecological damage we are causing by over development of a small geographical area.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Not an acceptable use of funds under Florida Statutes. Though I wish it was.
The Statutes also mandate that a portion of the tax must be used to attract visitors - i.e., advertising. Heads in beds. I don't agree with much of what Stone Cold J posts, but it's an excellent idea to promote things that are not on 30A. 30A has more heads in beds than we can handle.
As an aside, I also remember the first year we collected $2 million in bed tax. It was a cause for celebration. It's just ridiculous now.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Not an acceptable use of funds under Florida Statutes. Though I wish it was.
The Statutes also mandate that a portion of the tax must be used to attract visitors - i.e., advertising. Heads in beds. I don't agree with much of what Stone Cold J posts, but it's an excellent idea to promote things that are not on 30A. 30A has more heads in beds than we can handle.
As an aside, I also remember the first year we collected $2 million in bed tax. It was a cause for celebration. It's just ridiculous now.
Are you up to speed on the new provision that allows qualifying locales to use more money for infrastructure? It's been discussed here and I believe Walton TDC applied and was approved or close to being.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Here is a $64 million dollar question. Why spend any more on beach advertising until we improve the infrastructure for our unique and sensitive ecosystem? We already have more tourists than the infrastructure is capable of handling without non reversible ecological damage.

Spend the money on improving the infrastructure, adding bathrooms, protect our unique coastal dune lakes and improve water quality and purchasing more public beaches, If money is spent for advertising, then develop and target non-30A destinations in Walton County to diversify our economy and reduce the ecological damage we are causing by over development of a small geographical area.
I believe that if a place is a good place for locals then it is good for visitors. Something that I just read was which was stated by a commissioner at a Destin council meeting.

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008

It’s called GREED