• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Upside down American flag at Walton County business attracts public criticism

An American flag was being flown upside down for much of the day Tuesday from a pole on the grounds of Camp Gulf in Walton County.

The business, which appears in legal documents as Camping on the Gulf Land LLC, was one of 15 beach owner clients who came out on the losing end of a Monday hearing in Federal Court....

... “Flying the American flag upside down, for me that is horrible,” said Suzanne Harris, president of Edgewater Condominiums, located down the road from Camp Gulf.

“I’m not telling them they can’t do it. I’m just saying it’s not helpful right now,” said Destin City Councilman Parker Destin. “It just appears this is a temper tantrum because they lost a court case.”

In a lengthy written response, Camp Gulf manager Patrick O’Neill denied the flag was being flown upside down to anger anyone or protest a court ruling.

“The reason we fly the American flag is not to be disrespectful. It is not to thumb our nose at the authorities. It is to remind the authorities that they cannot continually erode our rights down to nothing without (our) speaking out against them,” he said.

“It is not a disrespect, in fact it is quite the opposite. It is a sign of distress. In this case it is a distress of property. This same county that has continually eroded our rights has recently ‘taken control’ of the property,” the release said.

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 6.40.14 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
I have felt these people are unsavory ever since my son’s first dealing with them. He want there to have his RV propane tanks filled and they told him to watch their worker who would guide him while maneuvering to the tanks. He was watching the worker who was in the front giving hand directions when he backed into a post damaging the left side of his RV. When he asked about covering repairs they said it was his fault since he was the driver and should have been paying attention.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
Some things make you go hmmmm... like renting spaces to RVs on a 8 figure property.

SANTA RSA BCH  FL 32459   Google Maps(1).png

I thought camping on the beach was prohibited anyhow, I know vehicles aren't allowed on the beach in Miramar beach. Not to mention the fact that the beaches are closed now. Does the sheriff just drive right by when he sees this? (note: google map photo so maybe his business is closed and there are no vehicles on the beach right now? Do you believe it?)

SANTA RSA BCH  FL 32459   Google Maps.png

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I'll tell you what...they got absolutely excoriated on Facebook, yesterday, from multiple people who lit them up. I don't think they expected that level of backlash and had flipped the flag right side up by mid day.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Some things make you go hmmmm... like renting spaces to RVs on a 8 figure property.

View attachment 82924

I thought camping on the beach was prohibited anyhow, I know vehicles aren't allowed on the beach in Miramar beach. Not to mention the fact that the beaches are closed now. Does the sheriff just drive right by when he sees this? (note: google map photo so maybe his business is closed and there are no vehicles on the beach right now? Do you believe it?)

View attachment 82925

No telling how long ago these shots were taken. Could be up to several years old. As far as the beach side spots go those have been there since I was a kid....and I'm 57, now.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
No telling how long ago these shots were taken. Could be up to several years old. As far as the beach side spots go those have been there since I was a kid....and I'm 57, now.
Yes I know. Somebody leveled the dunes. I suppose the CCCL doesn't apply to them. They are obviously past the dune line and ON the beach. I get the feeling they do what they want and the sheriff has to put up with it. However if I'm the sheriff and they drag me into federal court I would be upset and make them pay.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Like Will B, I don't remember Camping on the Gulf aka Camp Gulf ever NOT being there. I grew up here and, even though I hate to admit it, I'm knocking on the door of being 57 as well. Different ownership, management, sure. But it's been there since you could pretty much do whatever with the dunes, and drive ON the beach if you wanted to.
The manager expressed that his rights are continually being eroded by Walton County, and does not seem to understand that the ordinances recently put into place were MEANT to dissuade people from coming here. Not forever, but until it is safe to mingle again. There are also many businesses who are hurting a lot more than he is. In fact, he is advertising lot rentals for "sheltering in place." Two different prices for upper level and lower level...probably the ones on the beach.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I wish about 250/500 of our local enlisted/retired would have showed up in full gear and asked him how they could help since he signaled he was in "dire distress".......

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I wish about 250/500 of our local enlisted/retired would have showed up in full gear and asked him how they could help since he signaled he was in "dire distress".......

A local veteran did show up and gave them what for. He posted it.on Facebook.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
A local veteran did show up and gave them what for. He posted it.on Facebook.
Wish I could see that. 2 guys (veterans) I work with said they were tempted to and might just go after work but I didnt see either one of them today to find out if they did.