• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Management companies are playing by the rules. VRBO. who knows?
They arent even trying to abide by it. I just went on the site and could have booked for arrival tomorrow with NO PROBLEM. But the company handling it made the mistake of having their logo on the page and they will be promptly reported to the FLDBPR.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Most of us have been asking the same question. I just read a transcript from a video our sheriff recently released, and he indicated that it is all short term rentals. he said "The only people who should be on the beach right now are property owners or local residents." He also said "It's getting out of hand, but we can't deal with it if we don't know about it." He seemed to be urging people to report visitors that were breaking the ban, and that some people will be told to vacate and possibly be prosecuted. There has been no end date to the ban announced, so it seems like the powers that be are going to be waiting anxiously for several more weeks for more data to be compiled before thinking about any change of course.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
If you see it call the WCSO. I know for a fact they will go to the house in question and talk to the people there. I am sure if it is a party of more than 10 they will be asked to leave. And we all know those monster houses on 30A sleep 20+. Or we can just sit back and let them have our area, put us all at risk and possibly kill a few of us. If it has a company sign (rental company) please report it to the link at the top of this thread. These folks that are defying the ban are getting all the rewards ($$$$$$) and WE are getting all the risks.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
You're kidding yourself. The Sheriff and every other county employee dances to tourist tunes.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
You're kidding yourself. The Sheriff and every other county employee dances to tourist tunes.
No, our sheriff has asked for us, the citizens of Walton Co., to help him help us. And I will if I see it. I know of at least one instance that a house full of visitors were called in and the deputy was there within 20 minutes and within an hour of that they were gone. So he IS doing his part. He just needs to know which rental property to go to.

liz coats

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
I see that Elon Musk has weighed in on the situation with people being ordered to stay at home and other restrictions. He's even called it fascism. He's a smart guy, so he may be on to something.

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
No, our sheriff has asked for us, the citizens of Walton Co., to help him help us. And I will if I see it. I know of at least one instance that a house full of visitors were called in and the deputy was there within 20 minutes and within an hour of that they were gone. So he IS doing his part. He just needs to know which rental property to go to.
Just for show. Very few officials want to enforce, from the Governor's office on down, President really. Give it a a couple of weeks and things will be back to normal without much fuss. What I see is a red and blue issue and from Lake City west we are 99% red.

DuneDaze

Beach Crab
May 3, 2020
FL-30A
It really doesn't serve the county well to have a paternalistic sheriff cultivating an Orwellian society where folks are encouraged to monitor their neighbors and report alleged violations. Trying to enforce "protective" ordinances that go against personal liberty and are so completely antithetical to the beach culture of South Walton is ridiculous! He would do well to follow the lead of many sheriffs across the USA who have pledged to respect Americans' freedom to travel, worship, recreate, etc. -- without surveillance or the threat of interference from government agents.

The constant drumbeat from the news cycle, distorted data, and plain old "ignorance" is feeding an avalanche of nanny-state rules and compliance enforcement. It's time people go back to minding their own business, get control of their emotions -- and stop trying to punish others in an attempt to mitigate their fears.

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Ben Franklin