• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
30A said:
Kurt,
Thanks so much for the pic of Eastern Shores. It appears the 100 building is probably looking at reconstruction. Might be your opportunity to get in if someone wants out. The 200 building appears to have fared better and 211 is fine. We'll know more later this week.

How is the Eastern Lake beach access? Is the lake back to its normal course into the Gulf? Friends want to come down Saturday.

Thanks to you and everyone for all the feedback and information. The beach and 30A are a state of mind that transcends any hurricane. I look forward to my children and their children growing up on Eastern Lake and 30A. Kinda like the folks building Alys Beach as featured in this months South Walton magazine, we're in it for the long term! Dennis who?! :clap_1:

God Bless.

TM aka 30A

The beach looks good behind you - a few more pics here:
http://www.sowal.com/photos-071205-a.html

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Re: SEASIDE

steenie said:
does anybody know anything about the activities going on in seaside? are the stores still open by the ampitheater? is the snowcone man still there? : :dunno:

Seaside Town Update Tue July 12

Released on 7/12/2005

Email: info@seasidefl.com
Phone: 800.277.8696

We continue to assess the town and beach in the wake of Sunday's hurricane. The news is good and the town has sustained minimal damage - primarily to the beach pavilion walkovers and our communications systems.

At this time no emails or long-distance calls can be sent or received. Our employee base is still somewhat limited; however, we are attempting to contact all guests to confirm reservations for this week. If you have a reservation you may call 800.277.8696 and leave a message. We will return your call as soon as we are able. If your reservation is within the next 24 hours please call one of our temporary hotline numbers 850.259.9446 or 850. 259.1023.

We are accepting vacation arrivals as early as today and expect our swimming pools and other recreational services will be operational by the end of the day. Our merchants are beginning to open their shops and restaurants. We are addressing beach access and working on a possible solution to be implemented by the end of the week.

phdphay

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
We just got here this evening. Everything looked totally normal during the entire trip down from Georgia - no limbs or trees knocked down. We checked out our house - no damage. Thank God. But we had seen today's Atlanta Journal-Constitution with a view of Seagrove from Seagrove Villas (across from Wheelhouse) east. When we walked out to our nonexistent beach walkover (that we'd recently spent a boatload of money to enhance), I almost threw up. Not only is the newly scraped sand gone, but all of the dunes are gone, plus the horizontal surfaces at 30-A level are caving in. A total disaster. The homes that were once second row beachfront willl soon become beachfront, and the beachfront property will cave in. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Kurt - I'm off the board for 24 hours and boy, You have arrived! Congrats!

Joe - Kudos to you. Your efforts to assist so many show that you live (not just talk of) the Tao.

Hard to read all of the many posts in the last 24 hours but there appear to be 2 types of posters.

1. Those that appreciate the spirit of 30A and are kind enough to spend their precious vacations and their hard earned dollars to come down and help us -

from those who want to give back what this beautiful place has given them :love: Wekick)

to those who believe that they should still spend their money and help out in any way they can :)welcome:lasml and Allirow)

to

the goofy happy family of 4 paddling around the lake, picking up debris and those who wish they could get down to assist in the clean-up, ( True 30Aer's jdarg & Seashell :bow:)

2. The other type of poster - Those who do not wish to drive 12 hours for the beach that is gone - I can only say that the beauty isn't gone in the landscape or the people. Some of the beaches in the French Riviera are mostly rocks. The famous black beach in Hawaii is black due to volcanic ash. You're right, the beach is not what it was yesterday or the day before or the year before or the millenium before. It's a moment, an experience, a memory. Photograph it, Paint it, Write a poem about it. The glass can be half full or half empty. I personally will find solace in the coming days walking on the beach contemplating the power of a force much greater than myself and of course, cleaning up my community. No condo/hotel pool will ever humble me in such a way. Was this my preference? Absolutely not but anyone who owns knows it's the risk we take to be in such a surreal place.

We understand if you don't want to come this year but we applaud and embrace you if you do. :clap_1:

Paradise Point = Paradise by the Sea :dunno:

dkshep

Beach Crab
Jul 13, 2005
Hello All,
We hope the damage is bearable. Our family was scheduled to come down on the 16th to a house not quite on the beach... and we haven't heard from our property manager yet. Does anyone know anything about the condition of the west end of Crystal Beach?(specifically at Shirah St. ... Tiki House).
Thanks,
Dean

Passatfish

Beach Comber
Jul 11, 2005
Can anyone tell me how far the closest beach access is to the Cottages at Camp Creek? I understand the walkovers are gone, but just want to know how far of a walk it will be to get onto the beach? With a 9 moth ol, the walk can't be too far.

Thanks

Adam

Sea Star

Beach Lover
Nov 17, 2004
Knoxville, TN
kurt said:
Eastern Shores, like during Opal, got water in the 1st floor, Leeward next to it got major damage.

The water didn't come all the way through like Opal. There were people enjoying themselves there today.

I'll post a pic later.
Thanks so much Kurt. You are so kind to take the time to help others the way you do - and I am sure you have work of your own ahead of you. How did you fare? Good luck. :D

dusty

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2005
A suggestion for the board:

What about someone who has been there for Ivan or a big storm like that writing a post that describes what the area/beach is like week by week over the next 4-5 weeks?

For example:

Week one:
--initial damage assessment; some homes condemned/inhabitable**
--most or all walkovers gone; must use flat access areas to get to the beach
(flat access areas are at Inlet, Seagrove, Grayton and I am not sure where else, look at the beach access thread)
--debris on the beach that needs to be cleaned up
--power being restored; some restaurants and stores still not open

**so sorry to hear of those whose homes were damaged or are inhabitable; or those who homes are at risk. For those who are not from the area, the 30-a area is 20-30 miles long, and the reports have been from a small percentage of places. Maybe someone from the area can give an estimate to put it in perspective.

Week two:

--power restored to most/all places
--temporary walkovers put in place for some communities (Rosemary, Seaside, etc.?)
--much of the debris has been cleaned up (watch out for _________)
--most restaurants/shops have reopened

Week three:

--area thunderstorms and regular wave action have started to return some white sand to stripped beach areas; water clearing up

Anyway, just an idea. Please feel free to liberally edit and embellish. I think some people are reading this thread and thinking the damage and conditions they are reading about will still be as bad a month from now...and we know that the area gradually gets better.

Status
Not open for further replies.