• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Sueshore said:
Wow tivloi! You are a dynamo!!! You must have very happy guests! :clap_1:

Yes, I have a client that used all the companies and started doing it himself this season. He was so unhappy with the lack of bookings and he needed to cover his payments so we changed his vrbo headline to prominently display the lowest rates (ie: From $XXXXX) which are lower than comps because he nixed the management company. He said he was swamped. He has only 3 photos and no virtual tour on his vrbo. He said he was getting so many requests for bookings that he set up a little package that he automatically sends out to people with the rental contract, more photos and instructions saying half due upon booking, half due when you get the code to check in. He has a cleaning team like Tivoli's and he uses a lockbox for the keys. He is an extremely busy man that travels constantly and had no "return" bookings from last year. He is nearly booked for the season and his mortgage payments are covered.

I have a second client that we made similar changes on her vrbo header and she has reported the same dramatic increase in bookings. Just did it with a 3rd client so we'll see how his goes. It does seem that the flowery - New/Beautiful Home stuff doesn't get nearly the hits that the Price of the Rental up front does in the headline. I guess renters want owners to Show them the Money right up front :lol: and that's who they click on.

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Cork On the Ocean said:
I guess renters want owners to Show them the Money right up front :lol: and that's who they click on.
Sounds like you're giving your folks sound advice that is working for them. You may be surprised to hear that last year, we removed all references to our rates AND availability calendar on our web sites, and inquiries went through the roof! Bookings are nearly full for this season. During the past 5 years, we've experimented with many methods, this seems to bring the best results for us AND serves as a filter of sorts - bringing us more serious inquiries and RESPONSIBLE guests who treat the properties with respect.

... and Kurt's VT is the 'icing on the cake' :clap_1:

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Cork On the Ocean said:
Another idea that we have looked at is an owner's consortium. Not quite sure how that would work yet but basically a "rental by owner" type a situation where the owners handle bookings and the management company comes into play for maintainence and overseeing the property. Owners could collect all rentals, have a lockbox of sorts for key access and the management would field calls and scheduling/arranging maintainence and perhaps inventory. Not sure how this would work, perhaps a fee based schedule ( x dollars for inventory, x dollars for maintenence schedule etc.) Donna, am I hearing that something to this effect - an "assistant" to the owner in effect? I know there are some owner consortiums out there. Will have to do some research on that.
Cork: The arrangement we have with our management company is essentially the same as you describe above. They handle Check-in/ Check-out; Cleaning; Maintenance; Linens; etc, etc. We share the booking responsibilities on a 1st come/ 1st served basis. This system works great for us - we have no interest in handling any duties other than the fun part: interacting with the guests ;-)

Pirate

Beach Fanatic
Jan 2, 2006
At our rental we employ a very practical and effective method of making sure things don't get out of hand. It is a system developed by this group.

Protection System

And adapted for home use. Hope this helps.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Pirate said:
At our rental we employ a very practical and effective method of making sure things don't get out of hand. It is a system developed by this group.

Protection System

And adapted for home use. Hope this helps.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Unplugged said:
Sounds like you're giving your folks sound advice that is working for them. You may be surprised to hear that last year, we removed all references to our rates AND availability calendar on our web sites, and inquiries went through the roof! Bookings are nearly full for this season. During the past 5 years, we've experimented with many methods, this seems to bring the best results for us AND serves as a filter of sorts - bringing us more serious inquiries and RESPONSIBLE guests who treat the properties with respect.

... and Kurt's VT is the 'icing on the cake' :clap_1:

Isn't that interesting. Exact opposite of my guys are experiencing. I'm thinking that the price range or competition may have something to do with it. For instance I would think that money is not the priority for Tivoli's home(s) which rent over $3K per week. One of the homes I'm referencing rents for about $2800 when they were with the management company and they charge $2500 without the company so its clearly better priced than comps for the neighborhood plus it's a new home so not many concerns about comfort.

I totally agree with the impact of Kurts VT's. Another client has a home that is pretty worn but has stronger bookings that much nicer homes for the same price and I think it's because of the VT. All of the marketing stats show that people view those properties first.

Then again, it could be that this is just a rocking rental year :rotfl: and everybody has got strong rentals. I've heard lots of people commenting on how crowded it is compared to past years and personally Ive noticed the restaurants are packed compared to past years. :dunno:

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
See my new thread- got trashed during spring break!

This is my thrid season renting on my own, and this is my second time I had a major problem renting 2 homes, so I guess the odds are not that bad.
One was a family who decided to bring 5 more people up and over the allowable, and second my spring breaker lying parents.

I do keep family photos scattered all over the house. The second year, I added a Rules addendum which included things like no magic markers whatsoever, and crayons only under supervision.
Made sure that hooks were everywhere for bathing suits- and asked they not be strewn on beds. (my comforters had that infamous looking pee stain on them, but realized it was salt and chlorine)

I upgraded my carpets and did more decorating this year, put cheap area rugs in places where I know spillage will occur, then increased my rate, and seem to be getting quite a different clientele calling.

At first I was very sentimental about a great comforter, spent a lot of time looking for beachy spreads etc., but learned that if I am renting, I can not get attached to anything. I have not had anything stolen with the exception of laundry baskets and missing pillows (why someone would take a pillow behooves me) . I dont even put them anymore. I tried twice, and even labeled them in case my cleaning lady staff was using them, but they still disappear.

So it seems all one can do is use their best judgement in whom they rent to if renting on their own, but you don't know these people, especially if new to your home, and ther'es not much you can do.
Fortunately this season an owner is moving in next door full time, and I will have eyes and ears, and make sure people know that.

Donna a/k/a Mango

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
Since we dumped our management company and started doing our own rentals, have had absolutely no problems with damage, excessive messes, or stolen items.