• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
I agree sunset. Unfortunately after 13 years in state government work, I found that something as simple as changing some signs can be a big ordeal. Of course maybe local gov't isn't as cumbersome. We do need an education campaign and maybe a statute change (which is a big deal). Dont know how to accomplish this but Kurts board is a good start with the exposure that its getting.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
Cork On the Ocean said:
I agree sunset. Unfortunately after 13 years in state government work, I found that something as simple as changing some signs can be a big ordeal. Of course maybe local gov't isn't as cumbersome. We do need an education campaign and maybe a statute change (which is a big deal). Dont know how to accomplish this but Kurts board is a good start with the exposure that its getting.

True. The problem with the politicos is that they listen to too many people who worry about offending someone. They can't seem to comprehend: no dunes = no beach properties = no visitors = no income = no taxes = no jobs for the bureaucrats or the politicians. :dunno:

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
kurt said:
No matter how kindly I am to folks on the beach, SOME look at me like I'm a dog fly. :lol:

I tried to convince a local last year not to have her wedding in the dunes. I got nowhere. :roll: A disturbing trend is more and more people taking family portraits in the dunes. I've seen groups of 2 dozen climbing over them.

I saw something similar. The photographer and the mother of a child were just ignoring her while she ran up and down the dune pulling up sea oats. I tried to gently intervene, but felt it was something I should not have to be involved with because the photographer should have known better!

hutch

Beach Lover
People that abuse the laws by walking on the dunes should be required to do community service for a week in helping rebuild them by planting sea oats or other beach work. Fines do nothing, most people pay them and go ahead do it again.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
The only other thing I can think of is signs (lots of them) that impose a fine for walking on the dunes rather than a polite "keep off the dunes." Remember when your parents told you not to do something and you just had to do it? Does anyone know if the county has the authority to impose a fine?

Maybe an avatar that says "Please don't walk on our dunes, they protect our homes" or "they are crucial to our beach restoration" - something similar that tells them why they should keep off.

:idea: How about T-Shirts printed with something like "Remember to Stay Off the Dunes." or whatever ............ We all can purchase for wearing when we are at the beach - that could be a lot of signs and personal too :dunno: Just brainstorming here!

ladybug8876

leslie lou
Mar 20, 2005
Paducah, Ky
I am a visitor to the area and I feel your frustration. We were at Grayton Beach State Park. We saw this woman walking right up a sand dune right next to a sign that said "no walking on dunes". We just kept politely making remarks about how obvious the sign was and ect.. Didn't seem to make a difference.

Kathryn

Beach Comber
Homeowner's Assoc and rental companies have been notified. The western end of Eastern Lake Road has been taped off and STILL there were people lifting up the tape to cut across to get to the beach! They are not only putting themselves in danger but our HOMES.

Contacted Walton County Sheriff's office to now arrest trespassers. Don't know what else to do. :dunno:

"The trouble with the human gene pool - there is no life guard."

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Rita said:
:idea: How about T-Shirts printed with something like "Remember to Stay Off the Dunes." or whatever ............ We all can purchase for wearing when we are at the beach - that could be a lot of signs and personal too :dunno: Just brainstorming here!
I love it. :clap_1:

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Rita said:

T-Shirts are a great start! We need a catchy phrase or graphic to convey more than just "Stay off the Dunes" We need it to convey "Why they need to stay off them" Let's get some brainstorming and input. We could have them printed in bulk or just use the slogan, graphic or whatever and make the iron- on decals on our computers - but we should be consistent. Also could put on Baseball caps or the rear of shorts :rotfl:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Cork On the Ocean said:
Also could put on Baseball caps or the rear of shorts
What makes you think that a guy would actually waste time reading when looking at the rear of someone's shorts? :rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.