• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Re: Old "Grayton Beach" people from the 60's & 70's

Thanks tfols5! I would love to read them! Am sending you my address through private e-mail in a minute.

JEANNE

Beach Comber
Re: Old "Grayton Beach" people from the 60's & 70's

Some of you oldies also might remember my dog, Wagger. She was the biggest beach lover of us all. (this was when there were no leash laws and dogs were allowed and even welcomed on the beach) She would "fish" in the lake and the gulf all day long. If she was ready to go to the beach before we were, she would just tootle on down there by herself. When we would get down to the beach, she would come over and say HI and then get back to business...fishing. Wagger would stare into the water's edge and bark at the fish she would see. Somehow or another, back then, the barking didn't bother anybody. It was so funny and cute to see. I remember one particular day, when she was fishing in the gulf, and all of a sudden she came flying out of the water, screaming and crying. Everyone in our group came flying out of their chairs to see what was wrong with her. The little thing had gotten bit by a crab and took one of her toenails completely off her little paw. She was in pain! We doctored her up but she would NOT go back into the water the rest of that day...but the next morning when we awoke, Wagger was nowhere to be found. Worried about her, we took off in the "beach buggie" to look for her...and you might have guessed it - she was fishing in the gulf. She lived to be 17 1/2 yrs old. (I was 5 when I got her) She was the best dog ever! Everytime I am at the beach, I can still hear her fishing. Oh, and by the way, she never caught a thing.

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
Our showers were on the back porch and we did have hot water. We were allowed one hot shower a day. I guess that was a luxury. A few years ago we put two showers upstairs but before that time, our only showers were on the porch. Seems right to me. Now my sister, Oldtimer, thinks anyone who showers inside is a traitor. She may have a point.
When I was a child I encountered wild boars running by Pete's Harbor and The Red Barn. I read later that they were from the Miller "Ranch" in the far cove. Who knew???

JC

Beach Lover
I can remember back when the Davis family had a horse stable in their back yard, next to the lake. Nadine Davis & I would ride to the beach & down to Seagrove & back up 30-A & never see a single person?must have been in the fall or winter. Definitely not during ?The Season?

katie blue

kt loo
Mar 11, 2005
in perpetual motion
I am really enjoying these stories. i can see it all, what a treat for you all to get to experience the place in such a simple time. i'd love to see a picture of Wagger, the best dog in the world.

my first time here was only 13 years ago, so i'm a newbie. but even then, the trees along 30-a seemed to stretch on and on, it took what seemed like for-ever to get to the condo. (remember the optical illusion of driving fast past the neat rows of planted St Joe pines? hypnotizing.) i remember seeing at the corner of 283 and 30A a few crooked, sun-baked, handpainted signs nailed to a post, pointing to a few restaurants. but that was all.

JEANNE

Beach Comber
JC said:
I can remember back when the Davis family had a horse stable in their back yard, next to the lake. Nadine Davis & I would ride to the beach & down to Seagrove & back up 30-A & never see a single person?must have been in the fall or winter. Definitely not during ?The Season?
Nedine is my cousin. She taaught me just about everything I know how to do. She was always (and still is) such a perfectionist. I remember those horses too! I was allergic, so I could only ride them in the dead of winter so it wouldn't affect my breathing as much. There is nothing like a horse ride along the gulfs edge. I also remember Ned coming home with a couple of Yahama mini bikes for Nedine and Richard. We would have a blast riding those things all around the dirt roads of Grayton and on the beach. What a time that was!