• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
JB said:
I think it's going to be a different ballgame this time around. There will be more of a sense of urgency, and thus the effort to repair dunes/beaches will be more aggressive (and perhaps more radical). Of course, this is just speculation on my part, but I think I'm probably correct.

People's homes have to be protected. If the foundations of homes are hanging off sand cliffs, it will have too be fixed very quickly.

The sad fact is that hurricanes always eat beachfront homes. It will happen sooner or it will happen later, but it will eventually happen.

People and businesses need to be encouraged not to build on top of the dunes so close to the water. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but it should not be the responsibility of the taxpayer to shore up private homes when history shows that it isn't a good idea to build on top of the dunes.

Just my 2 cents. :dunno:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
sunsetdunes said:
The sad fact is that hurricanes always eat beachfront homes. It will happen sooner or it will happen later, but it will eventually happen.

People and businesses need to be encouraged not to build on top of the dunes so close to the water. I know this is an unpopular opinion, but it should not be the responsibility of the taxpayer to shore up private homes when history shows that it isn't a good idea to build on top of the dunes.

If people are allowed to exercise their rights and build, they will build, come hell or high water. :D

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
I wonder if he has ever been to a beach? Isn't Duke a good 3-4 hours from the Beach? I wonder what his field of expertise is? Is the AJC just looking to raise a brow? Maybe interviewing him is like Jay Leno asking basic Current Events questions to the public so that we can get a kick out of listening to the answers. That is why I don't read the AJC, and never will. Give me the days when the Walton Sun had only local stuff. I hate reading into a story, then look to see that it is about Chicago or somewhere. The Walton Sun is still better than the other mind controlling garbage like the AJC.

Dr. Pilkey is a well-respected expert on shoreline management.

http://www.beachbrowser.com/Archives/Environment/August-99/ORRIN-H-PILKEY.htm

Orrin Pilkey is a James B. Duke Professor of Geology and Director of the Program for the Study of Developed Shorelines (PSDS) within the Division of Earth and Ocean Science at Duke University.

Pilkey received his B.S. degree in Geology at Washington State College, his M.S. degree in Geology at the University of Montana and his Ph.D. degree in Geology at Florida State University. His research career started with the study of shoreline/ continental shelf sedimentation, progressing to the deep sea with empahasis on abyssal plain sediments and back to nearshore with emphasis on coastal management. He has published more than 150 technical publications.

Currently PSDS research focuses on beach replenishment and other forms of shoreline stabilization, evaluation of the validity of mathematical models of beach behavior, hazard risk mapping on barrier islands, sedimentary processes on shorefaces, mitigation of hurricane property damage on barriers, and principles of barrier island evolution in Colombia, South America.

Last edited:

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
kurt said:
If people are allowed to exercise their rights and build, they will build, come hell or high water. :D

By "encouraged," I actually mean by law, not the goodness of their hearts.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
sunsetdunes said:

A couple things: First, existing homes can't be moved.

Secondly, people who build on vacant lots (of which there are scarcely few left) don't want to be set back from existing homes on either side. It obstructs their view. And I can understand it. I would not want to sit on the deck of my new $4 million gulf front home and be able to see only a sliver of the gulf, only to turn slightly sideways and be looking at the side of someone else's home.

Someone above mentioned installing rip rap against the existing cliffs, then covering with sand. Of course, that may be more expensive, and more labor-intensive than simply replacing the sand. I do think it is a good idea, but can you imagine the amount of rocks that would have to be trucked in? Boggles the mind.

Last edited:

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
JB said:
A couple things: First, existing homes can't be moved.

Secondly, people who build on vacant lots (of which there are scarcely few left) don't want to be set back from existing homes on either side. It obstructs their view. And I can understand it. I would not want to sit on the deck of my new $4 million gulf front home and be able to see only a sliver of the gulf, only to turn slightly sideways and be looking at the side of someone else's home.

Someone above mentioned installing rip rap against the existing cliffs, then covering with sand. Of course, that may be more expensive, and more labor-intensive than simply replacing the sand.

I guess you get a choice: a view and having the house eventually wash away, or no view and keeping the house. I chose the latter. :dunno:

I realize existing homes can't be moved :D But, it makes sense not to replace them once they are gone.

Last edited:

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Only speaking to people's mindset when they build. Thing is, the newer developments (like the Retreat) had an opportunity to build all the homes a bit further back and chose not to do so.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
JB said:
I'm not saying it's right or wrong. Only speaking to people's mindset when they build. Thing is, the newer developments (like the Retreat) had an opportunity to build all the homes a bit further back and chose not to do so.

And that's because people insist on a view and the developers make more money by putting them closer to the water. :lolabove:

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
I have found this site real good in explaining the issues and mechanics:

http://www3.csc.noaa.gov/beachnourishment/

In the "Human Dimensions" side there is a debate b/w Pikey & the opposing side.

From what I saw on the beach yesterday, without anything quick if we get another hurricane there could be a catastrophe of major proportions in the works. Lots of variables in that and I am always a worrier.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Travel2Much said:
From what I saw on the beach yesterday, without anything quick if we get another hurricane there could be a catastrophe of major proportions in the works. Lots of variables in that and I am always a worrier.

And that is why something will be done, even if we're not sure it's the right thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.