• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Our management agency is offering 20% discounts to renters that have booked until such time that beach access is restored.

karen

Beach Comber
May 12, 2005
Which agency is that? I spoke with my incoming renters for the first time yesterday to tell them what to expect (including the grill IN the kitchen sans the gas tank...we were there for the evacuation and put everything inside)

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Thats a tough one. We are coming with six small kids and we are just going to make the best of what is available to do. It will force us to change our routine and most likely discover something new. But we are owners of several properties so we have a vested interest in the area.

If we are able to get replacement renters, I am going to give refunds. We are getting about 6-12 calls a day from renters who have been displaced because their original rental homes have been damage. Most people do not want to cancel when they find out that there are other people are dying to take there place.

Last edited:

karen

Beach Comber
May 12, 2005
Oops, hit the wrong button and didn't finish the above...anyway, our renters wanted NO discount so before my agency starts giving away the farm, I'd like to know...thanks.

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
STL Don said:
Our management agency is offering 20% discounts to renters that have booked until such time that beach access is restored.

Don

For clarification. Is that when all the the individual accesses will be in place, when the some of the regional accesses have been made available, or just when the beach are no longer double red flagged?

RBP

beachma

Beach Lover
Apr 22, 2005
TW said:
We have a gulf front condo at Sunset Beach and thankfully there was no damage to the unit but of course access to the beach is gone until the walkover is replaced which could be several weeks.We were fully booked for the summer but things are changing. The guests due last Saturday couldn't get down due to the evacuation and of course we gave them a full refund ...same with the guests due from this coming Saturday because they wanted to make alternative plans as we could not give them info. on area amenties affected -- going to Mexico to see Emily!. We gave them the refund.
The guests due on the 23rd have also requested a refund -- they have 5 small kids and wanted close access to the beach not a drive. I feel for them but am not sure how to handle this -- we need people to come down both from a personal financial view and also if we give refunds this is less tax revenue for SoWal to fund beach restoration etc.
Our policy states refund if mandatory hurricane evacuation but the post hurricane damage is not addressed.

Any views appreciated

I've been reading this board for sometime, and as with Ivan I've found that it's been such a valuable source of information for all who have been affected by this storm. With this storm in particular, I feel like I've made more of a connection with the owners of properties in Seagrove and the surrounding area. I posted in an earlier post that we've been vacationing in Seagrove since 1990...we've made somewhere around 22 trips from the St. Louis area and have rented 16 or so different properties! We have always gone through rental agencies so we've never really made a connection with the owners other than through a guest book. My heart truly does go out to those who have had such great losses with this storm...we love the area and feel like the money we've invested over the years has given us many, many priceless memories with our family.

We have been anticipating our trip in August for over 6 months...We began a search for a house in January that would accommodate 7 adults and our 17 month-old grandson. Our priority was to have 4 bedrooms, a pool and close enough to the beach that we could take turns giving our grandson breaks from the sun...We knew accomodating his needs at this point would be/is our biggest priority. We now also have my 70+ year-old parents coming down with us so they can enjoy time with their great-grandson at the beach...

Now we are feeling some "pressure" about what we should do. Our first priorty is safety for my parents and our grandson...If it were just 7 able-bodied adults coming down...we would have no problem whatsoever...no question...we'd be there...But at this point, my parents are waiting for a decision from us on what to do. The prospect of loading all our beach gear into a vehicle...along with 2 elderly parents, a 17-month old baby, parking, unloading, setting up camp...then having to take a break for nap time, food time, etc....is more than an inconvenience...it's a real challenge. There are just a lot of things that are unique to us that we have to consider. Right now we're taking a "wait a bit longer and see" attitude. We would be heartbroken to have to cancel...

So I guess what I'm trying to express...is that every "Rentor" has a unique situation/circumstance that Owners should consider. In all our trips we've never had to cancel...

I hope no one takes offense at this post...I realize that the money I've invested in rental $$$ is nothing to compare to what homeowners have invested...but we are somewhat interdependent on each other. Thanks to all of you for sharing your piece of paradise with us! :love:

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Well stated.

The situation stinks for everyone involved. I hope something does work out for you. There are hundreds of renters displaced from damaged homes who still want to come to the beach. Maybe the rental agency or owner you are using could easily replace your week.

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
I believe that the discount will be in place until the access adjacent to the property is replaced--reflecting the fact that the renters will have to go to more trouble to access the beach.

MG

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005
Decatur, GA
STL Don said:
I believe that the discount will be in place until the access adjacent to the property is replaced--reflecting the fact that the renters will have to go to more trouble to access the beach.

If we have already paid in full for our vacation and are planning to come on down, would we be within our rights to ask for a partial refund or maybe a discount on future rentals? Obviously, no one has control over Mother Nature, I am just trying to figure out what the normal policies are?

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
MG said:
If we have already paid in full for our vacation and are planning to come on down, would we be within our rights to ask for a partial refund or maybe a discount on future rentals? Obviously, no one has control over Mother Nature, I am just trying to figure out what the normal policies are?

I do not believe there is a norm.

Up front that seems fair.

But there are many people who lost their reserved house to the hurricane that are willing to pay a full rental rate just to have a house and pool with the ability to drive to the beach. Now whats fair to the present renter, the owner, and the renter without a house???

It may not be politically correct to say it, but the homeowners have mortages and damages to pay. The prime season is very short. So I would hate to see renters gauge the owners for discounts or have the owners gauge the renters who lost their accomodations either.

I think each case is going to be different. Most of our renters have been great. They are fine with having the pool and driving to the beach.

Last edited: