• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Thursday, July 14, 2005

11:00 AM Board of County Commissioners Special Meeting

The purpose of this meeting will be to discuss the issue of sand coloration on the beach.

South Walton Courthouse Annex, 31 Coastal Centre Boulevard, Santa Rosa Beach - Dede Hinote, Administrative Assistant, 892-8155
Topic of discussion is relaxing the White Sand Ordinance Standards for Sand on the Beach.

County Commissioners:

? Dist. 1 -Scott Brannon, (850) 622-3081, brascott@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 2 - Kenneth Pridgen, (850) 834-6328, prikenneth@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 3 - Larry Jones (850) 892-8474, jonlarry@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 4 - Ro Cuchens, (850) 835-4834 cucro@co.walton.fl.us

? Dist. 5 - Cindy Meadows, (850) 622-3059 meacindy@co.walton.fl.us

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama
Re: Do you want brown sand dumped on the beach?

You going, Kurt?

Mike B.

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2005
Nashville, TN

Brown? I dont like brown, that's why I come to the Gulf. If it helps to heal the beach though....

Landlocked

Beach Fanatic
May 16, 2005
Alabama

I bet the brown sand is cooler than the black sand. Man, don't get trapped in that dry black sand with no shoes on. OWWWWW! Me feets used to be weathered to where it didn't bother me, but apparently I lost that.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005

The beaches are what makes SoWal. Right now the beaches--for all practical purposes--are gone. We need them back. No one "wants" brown sand. But I would rather compromise and get the beaches back to usability than do nothing and just hope they come back on their own.

dusty

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2005

I love the white sand! Is there a compromise? Use brownish sand to shore up the homes that are in danger --emergency type measures--but use white sand (dredging or whatever) for all other efforts?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

dusty said:
I love the white sand! Is there a compromise? Use brownish sand to shore up the homes that are in danger --emergency type measures--but use white sand (dredging or whatever) for all other efforts?

That's the plan at this point. The sand ends up mixing though over time. That's why it's never been allowed anywhere near the beach.

The BCC just approved a variance in the white sand ordinance, allowing homeowners to bring in sand that is considerably less white than is normally allowed.

This sand is from intracoastal dredging and is about 1/3 the cost of white sand. There apparently is not enough white sand available for the large need.

Brad Pickel's recommendation was that all the white sand should be used first, rather than use the darker sand.

dusty

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2005

Is his thinking that the darker sand would eventually get covered with white sand as Mother Nature repairs the beaches over weeks and months, so use the darker first so it gets buried?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

dusty said:
Is his thinking that the darker sand would eventually get covered with white sand as Mother Nature repairs the beaches over weeks and months, so use the darker first so it gets buried?

Capping the darker with a few feet of the whiter was discussed but no one really believes that would work.