• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
IMG_5487.JPG

IMG_5486.JPG

IMG_5485.JPG

Turtle Traps in Seaside

What is up with all of these craters being dug in Seaside? If you are going to allow "your kids" (most kids don't did holes this large) to dig these big holes, please fill them before leaving the beach. Not only are they a hazard for Sea Turtles, they are also a hazard to people walking on the beach after sunset.

Unplugged

Beach Fanatic
Jul 31, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Turtle Traps in Seaside

What is up with all of these craters being dug in Seaside? If you are going to allow "your kids" (most kids don't did holes this large) to dig these big holes, please fill them before leaving the beach. Not only are they a hazard for Sea Turtles, they are also a hazard to people walking on the beach after sunset.
You are so right - PLEASE fill them in! A friend's kid 'caught' a Walton County Sheriff's truck recently with one of these pits. The driver wasn't amused.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Last year I saw a new product, 3-foot plastic shovels being sold at a few places in SoWal. I intended to speak with shop owners over the winter about maybe not offering them. I never got around to it.

Now I am seeing 3-5 foot plastic shovels for sale at almost every store on 30-A that sells beach toys. Do you think that is right? Should merchants be encouraged not to sell them?

It seems all the large holes I'm seeing on the beaches are a hazard to all kinds of creatures, including the human ones.

John

Beach Fanatic
Dec 3, 2005
SoWal
kurt said:
Now I am seeing 3-5 foot plastic shovels for sale at almost every store on 30-A that sells beach toys. Do you think that is right? Should merchants be encouraged not to sell them?

It would be easy to get the independents to stop selling them, but what about Publix and Tom Thumb? There does seem to be some primal urge to dig holes in the sand. However, there is no similar urge to fill the holes back up when one leaves.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
When I was growing up we were always supposed to re-fill the holes. Sort of like dousing a campfire. Some people are just inconsiderate, don't know any better or just never told. The adults have to tell the kids.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Johnrudy said:
When I was growing up we were always supposed to re-fill the holes. Sort of like dousing a campfire. Some people are just inconsiderate, don't know any better or just never told. The adults have to tell the kids.
You are right. The adults must lead by example and often, the kids whom I see are unsupervised. In particular, the three kids with the craters in the photos had no supervision in the immediate vicinity whom I could see. :dunno:

JT

Beach Lover
Aug 8, 2005
Atlanta
Johnrudy said:

I was told the same by my folks when we would go to Sanibel every year. My father and I would fill them in, but my little shovel never dug them that deep. The worst we did was around or in front of our sand castle. I wonder if the county would think about information signs asking people to fill them in. :dunno:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
JT said:
I was told the same by my folks when we would go to Sanibel every year. My father and I would fill them in, but my little shovel never dug them that deep. The worst we did was around or in front of our sand castle. I wonder if the county would think about information signs asking people to fill them in. :dunno:
I think it would be easier to get the stores to illiminate the shovels than it would be to get people to read any signs, especially when the beach is calling their name.