• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

bchtravlr

Beach Comber
May 28, 2006
I have been a long timer lerker on this forum, but recently exposed a problem that bothers me and several others.

A visiting friend went with us to a popular bar here on "The A" and at the end of the evening his tab had a few extra drinks added to it that we had not consumed! This had occurred to me at the same location last fall, and at the time I had assumed it was an honest mistake. After discussing the recent event with several other locals, it appears to have occurred at this bar to several others also. I am attempting to notify the ownership/management, as I don't believe they are aware this is occurring with some regularity.

Have others had bills padded at any of our local establishments?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Never happened to me in SOWAL, but taking advantage of tourists is present in any tourist town. People are ripped-off in New Orleans all the time...most folks are too shy or clueless to speak up. This perpetuates the cycle of 'tourist as rube/cashcow' which is insane since tourism is the backbone of the economy. If something is shady, let the manager know;odds are good that the house is being ripped-off too. :bang:

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
amen brother!!! I am shocked sometimes at what the local bars charge......
kurt said:
I haven't noticed any problems. Why pad a bill when you can raise prices 30% without consequence?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I've never looked closely at my tab, and I have never thought my bills here were outstanding enough to run a line item check. I hope they were not charging you an a$$hole fee. :rotfl: I am only kidding. I am sure you are a nice guy. ;-)

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Smiling JOe said:
I've never looked closely at my tab, and I have never thought my bills here were outstanding enough to run a line item check. I hope they were not charging you an a$$hole fee. :rotfl: I am only kidding. I am sure you are a nice guy. ;-)

Smiley J, you forgot to say :welcome:

Don't scare the guy off :rotfl:

Kimmifunn

Funnkalicious
Jun 27, 2005
Hollyhood
Do you think the Funns actually pay for our drinks?
We have deals under the table with various establishments. That could be what you speak of.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
30A Skunkape said:
Smiley J, you forgot to say :welcome:

Don't scare the guy off :rotfl:
Oh yes, :welcome:;-). It is possible that other bar rats are telling the bartender to put it on (pointing to you) "his tab." I have started a tab in places where I didn't know the bartenders, and have had friends put their drinks on my tab without problem, and without telling the bartenders that they were on my tab.

lifesabeach

Beach Lover
May 16, 2006
BMB
I havent noticed any padding, BUT one of our local establishments did double run our debit card last week

whiteyfunn

SoWal Staff
Jul 1, 2005
Seagrove Beach
bchtravlr said:
I have been a long timer lerker on this forum, but recently exposed a problem that bothers me and several others.

A visiting friend went with us to a popular bar here on "The A" and at the end of the evening his tab had a few extra drinks added to it that we had not consumed! This had occurred to me at the same location last fall, and at the time I had assumed it was an honest mistake. After discussing the recent event with several other locals, it appears to have occurred at this bar to several others also. I am attempting to notify the ownership/management, as I don't believe they are aware this is occurring with some regularity.

Have others had bills padded at any of our local establishments?

It's never happened to me but I know it's happened to other friends. They are usually very understanding and fix the bill, though.