• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gary garrett

Beach Comber
Jun 13, 2005
Frisco, Texas
Each year, when we are near the end of our visit in South Walton, I carefully collect a small cup of white sand from the beach and it gets placed in a special blown-glass vase we have at our home. The sand goes in along with the shells I have picked up on sunrise walks on the beach each morning. The vase has a special place in our home, where we keep the most precious momentos of our life and family.

A little of the white sand, along with one small shell, sits in a small open container on my desk at work. I placed it in a spot where visitors can come and touch the sand and enjoy how white and pure it is. Ever person who stops at my desk touches the sand and comments on its texture and color. I love to tell them about this beautiful place we visit each summer, and how much we love it there.

This sand is magic. This small container of sand is a momentary escape when the day gets hectic. This sand can make you feel warm when the weather turns cold. This sand can instantly bring back memories of the best days spent watching the kids splashing in the clear water, chasing ghost crabs or building carefully engineered castles.

I love this small container of sand.

This year when we visit, I plan to bring my small container of magical sand, and give it back to the beach that has given us so many memories.

-Barbie

WaltonUndercurrent

Beach Lover
Mar 3, 2005
God bless you. If every tourist would bring back the sand their kids collected over the years (minus the free sand crabs from Alvins Island) we might not have this current problem. Don't get me wrong, the hurricane certainly helped, but the real culprit are kids who are taking our beaches one pail at a time.

Thanks for doing the right thing, admitting your theft, and trying to make amends.

seagrovelover

little sugar
Jan 12, 2005
St Louis Missouri
I have to admit....I have a dasani water bottle full of the stuff :eek: I feel so ashamed!!!!! :nono1: I'm on my way to bring it back, no police please!!! ;-)

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
seagrovelover said:
I have to admit....I have a dasani water bottle full of the stuff :eek: I feel so ashamed!!!!! :nono1: I'm on my way to bring it back, no police please!!! ;-)

All sand deposited on the beach must first garner the approval of Walton County. :razz: