• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SlowMovin

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Re: Do you want brown sand dumped on the beach?

Over time (weeks, months) the darker sand will mix in with the whiter sand and the overall color will become darker. That's an unavoidable effect when you bring darker sand anywhere near whiter sand.

Over even more time (years)--if no additional dark sand is brought in--the dark sand will continue mixing and dispersing, it will lighten in color somewhat (not completely) due to sun and tide interaction, and more white sand will be brought in by the tides. Eventually it will not be noticeable, but it will take a very long time.

I'm not particularly happy about using the dark sand. But I'm even less happy about the way the beaches look now.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama

kurt said:
There apparently is not enough white sand available for the large need.

Can you educate me Kurt? Where did the white sand come from that was on the beaches before IVAN, CINDY, ARLENE, and DENNIS? IMHO, I don't care what color the sand is as long as I still have an ocean to look at. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the beach also, but I truly love looking at that ocean that takes my breath away everytime I see it. I love the sound, the smell, the creatures, everything about it. The beach, to me is just a small part of the picture.

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH

kurt said:
That's the plan at this point. The sand ends up mixing though over time. That's why it's never been allowed anywhere near the beach.

The BCC just approved a variance in the white sand ordinance, allowing homeowners to bring in sand that is considerably less white than is normally allowed.

This sand is from intracoastal dredging and is about 1/3 the cost of white sand. There apparently is not enough white sand available for the large need.

Brad Pickel's recommendation was that all the white sand should be used first, rather than use the darker sand.
Judging from a couple of (post-Ivan I think) pixs posted on SoWal, would seem that combo of approaching full moon, Emily down south, and now depressed beach elevations would tend to move a fair amount of sand onto the beachs near term, though that doesn't do butkis for shoring up buildings, etc. Are they actually talking about bringing in brown sand or just less-than-white-white sand?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com

The white sand came from quartz in the Appalachian Mountains via rivers if that's what you mean.

They are talking about kind of a gray product, at this point just for under and in front of critical homes (to be defined).

sarawind

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
30A

No and no to brown sand. Here's a link to where the sand is (was?). The article is from City of Destin and was printed in 2003. It claims there is 6 million cubic yards of white sand 2,000 feet southeast of the Destin East Pass in its ebb shoal there from Walton and Okaloosa county. It is white sand -. Do you think Ivan and Dennis could have moved all that sand? Be interesting for some enterprising person to find out the answer. Hard for me to swallow that there is no white sand. Wonder if it shows up in any of the aerial photos? Follow the money.
http://www.cityofdestin.com/pages/BeachRe/beach.html

OhioBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
MidWest OH

OK, maybe all vistors should be required to bring a big bag of white sand per person - beach admission. That stuff we buy for grand-kid's sandbox is white & fine - sure seems pretty close to the beach stuff. I'd do that if the sand police wouldn't drag me away in chains. :D

prception69

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
Oxford,MS

With all the rust buckets being driven on the beach most of the sand will be tainted brown anyway from liquids leaking from these heaps! I witnessed a local lose his tailpipe off an old Wagoneer a few weeks ago. Yes, I picked it up and took it to the nearest trash can with my empties. :laughing1

I say bring in whatever you can to get the beach built back up and then let nature take it's course

Keep the heaps off the beach! You can walk like the rest of us "renter/tourists"

Bob

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2004
O'Wal

White sand is the way to go

prception69

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
Oxford,MS

Maybe I was a little hasty with my suggestion. If the darker sand was used, would it affect turtle nesting? Since light, holes, driftwood,etc can send these poor things down the path of destruction, what would darker sand do to them? :dunno:

Never forget the plight of the turtles! :roll: