• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
I'm an owner who primarily books and rents through my own web site, but I also have a excellent local property manager and we are both in agreement. With the current beach access situation we can not provide our guests what we originally sold them. We feel we MUST provide some amount of rate reduction. The reduced amount may change with every rental over the coming weeks based on repair and each renters needs but we will be reducing our rates. My biggest concern is that our guest are happy, having a great vacation, and know they were treated honestly and fairly. After all, I'm giving over my biggest asset to a group of total strangers. If I let them know up front what the situation is, and work with them by reducing the rate, even if it's just a little, then we will have a guest that treats our home with care and respect and will hopefully be back year after year.

sunsetdunes

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
You are right on target. I learned after Ivan that renters appreciate being told the truth, and quickly. After both Dennis and Ivan, I called renters to tell them about the problems associated with beach access. None complained, all wanted to continue their vacations. By calling them, I gave them the option of changing their minds while there was still time. This is something I would appreciate as a renter, so I assumed they would too. :welcome:

wetwilly said:
I am a new owner and a new rentee (renter before that for 15+ yrs) and have 2 groups coming in on 7/16 and 7/23, respectively that rented directly from me via VRBO, vacationrentals.com etc and also use BRoSW too. As for BroSW, I can not get directly ahold of BRoSW on the phone (just got 1st email yesterday afternoon) even as an owner. I know they are dealing with other priority issues (owners with dmaged, lost houses, and renters that require relocation) but if I can not get ahold of them I am concerned that my other renters that they have booked being able to reach them to get info.

With my 2 direct renters coming in to my house in the next 2 weeks, I called them as soon as I felt I knew enough to tell them what to expect etc (Tuesday evening). Both are coming down as scheduled with no discount. We offered a 1st season discount so the price was a good one from the start and both renters have been down to the area several times before and know what to expect and one of them lives in New Orleans and has lost a family vacation home in one of these storms. I have been very proactive and forthcoming with them as to the condition of the beaches, walkovers, accesses, dunes, erosion etc and sent them the official SoWal access info and pointed them to the SoWal website.

They both thanked me profusely for calling them and giving them the straight scoop and allowing them the opportunity to know what was going on down there. I was prepared to offer them a discount for any inconvenience but neither asked for one and in fact one of them said that they would be glad to fix my minimully damaged screened porch if he had time. I told them both to call me directly when they are down there if they found the place/beach in an unusable condition and if they needed anything. My point is that as an owner that some people will want to cancel, some will want an "inconvenience" discount, others will try to gauge and be unresonable, and some owners and rental companies will tell it like it is and some will only give minimul info. So, on both sides, I think if you are fair, forthcoming, proactive, and respectful, you will work something out with the rental company and/or owner directly. I expect the gammit when dealing with the general population but have been lucky (and my renters stated that they felt lucky to get the stright scoop) with mine so far. I am prepared for some to ask for discounts and some to cancel but think that it will all work out in the big picture. Seems more people want to come and others need to relo from the west and all will balance out if you are fair and honest. :welcome: :cool:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Shutters said:
I'm an owner who primarily books and rents through my own web site, but I also have a excellent local property manager and we are both in agreement. With the current beach access situation we can not provide our guests what we originally sold them. We feel we MUST provide some amount of rate reduction. The reduced amount may change with every rental over the coming weeks based on repair and each renters needs but we will be reducing our rates. My biggest concern is that our guest are happy, having a great vacation, and know they were treated honestly and fairly. After all, I'm giving over my biggest asset to a group of total strangers. If I let them know up front what the situation is, and work with them by reducing the rate, even if it's just a little, then we will have a guest that treats our home with care and respect and will hopefully be back year after year.

Excellent. :clap_1:

Beach Girl

Beach Lover
Apr 6, 2005
St. Louis, Mo
Shutters said:

Well said. We actually tried to book your property back in Jan. or Feb., but it was already booked for the week we needed. Sounds like you will be a great rental to keep in mind!

Beach Girl said:
Well said. We actually tried to book your property back in Jan. or Feb., but it was already booked for the week we needed. Sounds like you will be a great rental to keep in mind!

Thanks Beach Girl. If you come to the beach each summer I would recommend making a reservation with us before Christmas. Our summer season is always sold out before Christmas! Lot's of repeat guests.

Rather B Paddlin

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Shutters,

Nice website and nice house. I am just installing high speed wireless in 2 of my houses. Pm me and I will give you the poop.

Rather

Beach Girl

Beach Lover
Apr 6, 2005
St. Louis, Mo
Shutters said:
Thanks Beach Girl. If you come to the beach each summer I would recommend making a reservation with us before Christmas. Our summer season is always sold out before Christmas! Lot's of repeat guests.

The week we always go is already booked for 2006!!! :sosad: :sosad: We drove by your property in April. Hopefully someday we will be able to stay!

wetwilly

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Atlanta, Ga.
Shutters. Awesome house and real close to ours in the Eastern Lake area. Great website too especially with all of the FAQs and other info. No wonder you have had no problem filling your calendar.

Apr 16, 2005
Buckeye Country
wetwilly said:
Shutters. Awesome house and real close to ours in the Eastern Lake area. Great website too especially with all of the FAQs and other info. No wonder you have had no problem filling your calendar.

This is the best website I've ever seen. :clap_1: I've emailed the owner of the condo we are renting with many of the same questions. I never get a good answer, always very vague. I get all my info here at sowal.
Awesome job....I love the video with music too.
:bow:

DBOldford

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Napa Valley, CA
Our insurance policy has a rider (only $36 per month additional) that provides up to $56K per year compensation for lost rental income due to damage of any kind...hurricane, fire, vandalism, etc. Of course, one has to show confirmed bookings for purposes of the claim. But this gives us a lot of comfort to know that if we have major damage, we won't also have a significant loss of income without any compensation.

Our insurance guy in Destin is William West (850)837-6242, Waterfield & Associates, Inc. He's the person who advised us about this insurance. He has been great. We did not have a claim with Dennis, but did after Ivan. In fact, we wish that our local insurance agent in CA was as responsive and knowledgable as William West is, and we have been with the folks in CA for 15 years.