• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Paula said:
Thanks, Kurt. I saw that Inlet beach is a regional access which is great for people on the eastern side of 30A. Can anyone tell me about the Inlet beach access? Reasonable parking and bathrooms? We'll see for ourselves in a few days, but it's good to get a preview if possible. It will be interesting to explore the different open beach accesses next week when we're there. (We usually don't do as much exploring...).

Thanks.

Inlet Beach access is really a small park with lots of parking. Don't forget the State Parks.

sunshine

Beach Lover
May 1, 2005
south walton
Good morning,
What a good map - did you find it on-line, or did you purchase it from the courthouse and scan it?

Also, is it a reasonable assumption that any and all of the accesses on this map are public?

Have a great day!

:D

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
sunshine said:
Good morning,
What a good map - did you find it on-line, or did you purchase it from the courthouse and scan it?

Also, is it a reasonable assumption that any and all of the accesses on this map are public?

Have a great day!

:D

I got it from the TDC. It is a map of public accesses which should be used with the list of open accesses as updated on this thread's first post.

I also have a text list with lat. and long. coordinates if anyone needs to find them by GPS.

Yesterday I drove around checking all the "legal" access points. At Seaside they have this sign and a college kid checking to see what house you are staying in. I just blurted out the first Seaside cottage that came to mind and walked on down, but that probably wouldn't work with Mom, Dad, the 3 kids and all their beach stuff. AND he did have a little black ring binder with names and cottages with him.

I find the sign hysterical. "Due to the fragile nature of the dunes..." Give me a break, what dunes? How about "due to that money we spent hiring a bulldozer and the truck loads of sand we dumped to make a ramp, beach access will only be allowed to the owners and guest who paid exhorbitant prices to stay at Seaside." Oh the irony of it all. Feels a little like first class on the Titanic -- in times of crisis you really see people's true colors.

BTW, I have found several "illegal" access points. One where someone has nailed a ladder to what's left of the walkover. The slope down to the ladder is very slippery with sand and it's only a matter of time before someone slips and falls. I would not recommend. Another one where someone tired a nylon line to the old structure and has created a path down through the drop off. This one is pretty easy to use.

No matter what, people are going to find their way down to the beach. That's why the TDC MUST get on the case. To my way of thinking they should be out there today and all weekend nailing boards and rebuilding. With two crews they should be able to patch up at least 4 walk overs a week, wouldn't you think?

Any word from the TDC on this?

Shutters.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Shutters said:
Any word from the TDC on this?

Shutters.

Thanks for the info. ;-)

If, as you say, no matter what, people are going to find their way down to the beach - should we clean the beaches before fostering access or the other way around?

I have to agree with you on Seaside. It seems like at times like these they would be a little more open to helping out their neighbors. They sure don't have a problem when we walk over and eat at their restaurants or shop in the stores. I have to say it is quite disappointing. I heard from my rental agency that the county was looking at putting in temp. ramps like the one in Seaside in several areas. Who knows.

kurt said:
Thanks for the info. ;-)

If, as you say, no matter what, people are going to find their way down to the beach - should we clean the beaches before fostering access or the other way around?

I think right now the biggest danger is getting down to the beach. Seriously, someone is going to get hurt from one of these make shift walkovers. And when people stand on the top of the drop off and see others down on the beach, they look to how they got there, legally or illegally. It's the "they did it, so I can do it" mentality.

Honestly, I'm surpised at how little debris there is on the beach, at least here in Seagrove. I know that's not true all along 30-A, but here it's really no more than a bunch of seaweed and an ocasional chunk of something. Much, much less than Ivan.

kathydwells

Darlene is my middle name, not my nickname
Dec 20, 2004
Lacey's Spring, Alabama
kurt said:
Thanks for the info. ;-)

Clean the beaches first!!!!!

Travel2Much

Beach Lover
Jun 13, 2005
In Seaside's defense, I was over there yesterday (patronizing their businesses) and saw the bad dune damage and the sign. First time I have ever seen anything remotely saying "stay out" there in over a decade of visiting. Given the dune damage and beach damage, I can understand their desire to hunker down. Like everyone, they have a responsibility first to their guests and owners, who are going to be forking over yet another pretty penny to fix things. Everyone in Seagrove would be at their beach (with the added risk of more dune and beach damage and of course the trash) if the access were open.

Not nice, but understandable. Hope it is just a temporary measure. They have been so nice over the years.

Status
Not open for further replies.