• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
lollygal said:
Thanks, SJ! Is this a fancy schmancy place with reservations recommended, or a casual eatery? What's good there? We'll put it on our list to try if we are ever able to get down that way without a HURRICANE or TS in our path!:bang:
Everything is good and reservations are highly recommended if you want to eat. Dining is more on the upscale side rather than casual. Ask to sit in Tim's section. He will take great care of you.

drsvelte

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Sandestin & Red Stick
First, what a great forum! :clap_1: Thank you, Kurt and all the fine contributors. The info provided on Dennis by Smiling Joe and others was invaluable.

Our family fell in love with this area after we visited to do the old Elephantwalk Triathlon 16 years ago. Eight years ago we bought our first home in Sandestin and are now on our second. We can?t spend enough time here.

Over the years we?ve tried many restaurants ? some excellent, some forgettable. Here?s my subjective take on some of the ones mentioned previously as well as some located on the western edge of Walton and on into the Destin area.

We tried Borago for the first time two weeks ago. It was a Friday night and we could only be seated in the outside area. Despite fans, it was warm and humid, but not uncomfortably so. Food and service were outstanding ? one of the most enjoyable dining experiences we?ve had in a while. Resort attire and I?d recommend reservations. A definite four and one-half forks (out of five).

We like Caf? Spiazza in Seaside for lunch ? very good salads and paninis (4 forks) Then step over to the Modica Market for a decadent dessert-to-go. Don?t understand the hype over Bud & Alley?s ? food OK, but nothing particularly special (3 forks)

As I recall, Bayou Bill?s was about the first restaurant we tried here. Being from Louisiana, we think we know seafood - at least if consumption of it is correlated to expertise! Sadly, Bayou Bill?s would only be worth 2.5 forks or so to us. In this genre I?d also include Capt. Dave?s and the Crab Trap as they are cut from the same cloth. Pompano Joe?s is another story ? one of my all-time worst dining experiences (negative forks). As an aside, both Pompano Joe?s and the Crab Trap look to be badly damaged by Dennis so it may be awhile before they re-open.

Surprisingly, we do like the Whale?s Tale. They have the best grilled grouper I have had and my wife swears the wings are tops. Definitely a shorts and flip-flops kind of place (3.5 forks).

On our only visit to Criolla?s we came away sorely disappointed given high expectations. Our server was incompetent and rude and the food unexceptional. We haven?t been back although our single experience may have been an anomaly. So flame away.

Beach Girl

Beach Lover
Apr 6, 2005
St. Louis, Mo
drsvelte said:
We like Caf? Spiazza in Seaside for lunch ? very good salads and paninis (4 forks)

The last couple times we tried to eat at Spiazzia's in Seaside, they were closed. In December they were closed because of a fire...and in April they still were not re-opened. I'm not sure if they are opening back up or not. We loved their pizza and salad.

Wildernester

Beach Lover
Apr 29, 2005
Chatta/Grayton
Before it closed Spiazza was a great place for breakfast. Also, the Bait House at Watercolor has a great breakfast. However, our current favorite is Blue Orleans in Blue Mountain.

spinDrAtl

Beach Fanatic
Jul 11, 2005
Have any of you folks raving about Angelina's pizza ever been just down the street to Bruno's? Beats the tar out of them, IMO. Now, it's not a restaurant where you can really take the family and sit down as it's pretty cramped in there but the pizza rules!

We like Red Bar for crabcakes and grilled fish.

Bayou Bill's (the one near Carillon is better, IMO) for grilled amberjack and also fried fish is very good, especially for the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.