• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carter

Beach Comber
May 20, 2005
Marin County, CA
What if all rental companies gave out a simple 'Please stay off dunes' (and why) notice with each set of keys?

Hey, sorry for redundancy if this idea has already been posted, I only just now read through about 1/2 of this great topic & long thread. When we rented in DA in June, many of the stairs had yet to be repaired from the storm a few weeks before. The place next to us with 3 bldgs/24 units (maybe 75 people?*) were traipsing up and down the dunes all day with many allowing kids to play on dunes to boot. I politely asked kids that were playing (with parents right there) to stop a couple of times. They did, but looked at me like I was an alien.

I was thinking at the time that ALL the rental companies should have a bright red 8.x11 handout that they give out with every set of keys that asks everyone to please stay off the dunes and why in bold print. Many just don't know any better or assume 'no big deal, everyone else is doing it'. Education, even only 2 or three bold sentences worth would help a lot - I (as a non-native) was unsure myself what the policy/generally accepted local practice is, especially since SO MANY were so casual about it.

Would mgt co.s gt on board with this? I am talking photocopies here, so very low cost way to spread the word.
Of course, in addition to the 'please and why' section of notice, it would not hurt to point out how much the fine is too. Nothing like a little economic incentive to help the moral compass.

One day on beach, I actually stopped one of the guys in the white trucks (Is that county?) driving down the beach and pointed to people not 50' away on the dunes and asked ' it OK for people to be on the dunes?'. His answer was 'yeah, they are not really supposed to, not much you can do about it, they might get a ticket if they are caught'.

BY WHO?!! I thought he was the guy.

* Assuming there were ~75 people in those 24 gulf front units, and each made only two trips to the beach and back/day (i.e went in for lunch or the bathroom only once), that is 300 trips up or down that dune each day. And this was weeks (I think 3?) after the stairs had been washed away. By that math, there were already over 5000 trips over that dune when we checked out on the 25th and there was no sign they would be repairing the stairs anytime soon.....

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I've seen brochures for sea turtle protection, beach flag system, hurricane safety, water safety, etc.

Might be time to combine them and a few other items like dune protection into one 4-page, single-fold brochure kind of like Paula first suggested. I will talk to some folks about it, inc. the TDC. Or, it could be done by private interests or a combination of public and private, with a few ads on it, which I would contribute to.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
And one way to make the brochure is to make it so owners can frame it and post it in an 8 1/2 X 11 inch standard frame or two. I like to put these kinds of things in frames near the kitchen where people are likely to read them when cooking. A nice frame can make even regulations look good (especially if the county makes them attractive in some way).

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Paula said:
And one way to make the brochure is to make it so owners can frame it and post it in an 8 1/2 X 11 inch standard frame or two. I like to put these kinds of things in frames near the kitchen where people are likely to read them when cooking. A nice frame can make even regulations look good (especially if the county makes them attractive in some way).

Good idea - I would do a nice photo with the guide printed under or beside it if I thought people would frame it for their rentals.

Cork On the Ocean

directionally challenged
Smiling JOe said:
More feet than that because they, too, will educate others.
It would take time and effort, but we could sell local ads to be on the shirts along with the catch phrase regarding the dunes/cliffs. Of course SoWal.com would be stamped on all of the shirts. If you have 3-5 different catch phrases, you could encourage people to purchase more than one shirt. Shirts could be sold for $3 over costs to encourage everyone to buy at least one, with all proceeds going towards the costs of the marketing materials. This would have to be done on a voluntary basis. We could even have a T-shirt design contest, which was promoted in local papers and at local businesses. Blah, blah, blah. I am reading some great ideas on this thread, and mine are just a bit of things which I see other events already doing.

We've got lots of community minded people and I think what is being proposed requires a group of people (a committee, a coalition, an association, whatever) that are willing to spend a little time promoting the issue. It doesn't have to be many. It's a good cause. Local businesses will care and support it and hopefully local government will get on the bandwagon a little more agressively.

A brochure for rentals is a given. As someone said, we could just circulate one that could be photocopied at first unless we had a printer help out.

Billboards are expensive but maybe down the road with any proceeds from sales of shirts, caps etc

A t-shirt design or slogan contest would be great because vacationers read the walton sun and the beachcomber so just the search for the slogan will get some awareness. The group could do a panel at Via Colori. That vacationers channel might put a little cut about the dunes, who knows until we ask. I think it needs to be an ongoing campaign and will gain momentum and support if it can get off the ground. It's a good cause and what we're doing now isn't working.

T-Shirts could extend beyond our area because if we got them in the right places, people would buy them as souveniers to take home and get the word out in Atlanta, B'ham etc (before they get here). I'm thinking of having some made and giving them out to my clients.

A home falling off the dunes would have definitely have a great impact with either slogan. Moonwalk not Dunewalk is great! The LARGE statute citation is good too but kids, teens and perhaps some adults are clueless what a statute is.

Rent a cops - no way. It goes against everything we are here. We're still a place where you can leave your bike out or leave your door unlocked. We want people to come here and chill out not freak out about their cooler of beer on the beach every time enforcement drives by. On Clearwater beach, there's police all over hassling people about stupid little things. 30A has a deserted tropical island feel and an obtrusive presence of law enforcement kinda kills the gilligans island feel.

Same with the prisoners.

OhioBeachBum said:
Work details are prettty common up here, particularly along interstates (litter picking). Whack two birds with one rock. Print "I walked on dunes!" on front and back of orange suits. :rotfl:

:rotfl:Love the Slogan "I walked on the dunes" with somebody in stripes. Maybe a Pelican :rotfl:

I've got no problem with prisoners on the Interstate but I dont want them seeing my home, I dont want to see them and I certainly dont think moms with their cute little 5 yr old blonde daughters are gonna want to see them as they step out of their $5,000 a week rental home in their bikinis. :nono1:

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
kurt said:
Good idea - I would do a nice photo with the guide printed under or beside it if I thought people would frame it for their rentals.

I really like the idea of making the guide with a photo. It would make it more likely that owners would post it. Perhaps a crazy idea would be to offer it to owners with a frame already. It may (or may not) need to be a little bigger (whatever the standard frame size is next after 8.5 X 11). Also, as for influence strategies, there's interesting research that found if you use the word "because" after a request, it increases compliance ("Please stay of the dunes because...") Just using the word "because" has an impact. Clever.

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Some great ideas from great people! I think the more places people see a slogan or ordinance the better. The billboard (small) idea is good at both ends of 30-A. (and of course near the dunes!) I really like a standardized list of rules framed for each rental unit. It shouldn't be too long...just the major bullet points about how to SAVE the beauty of the area, and reminders about gulf safety. I'm in Dallas (be down there Aug 7-15ish) and would be glad to volunteer with others on this project from here or there. The t-shirt/cap idea is fun.

BE KIND TO THE DUNES

THEY'RE HEALING WOUNDS

LOOK... DON"T LEAP!

THEIR BEAUTY WE'LL KEEP

Unfortunately. I have more up in my slightly twisted brain. Maybe straightforwarded is the way to go. Comments?

Kathryn

Beach Comber
I think All these ideas are great, if not for the pure reason they have peole thinking about saving the dunes!

The dunes are still very unstable. I have seen 2 MORE feet crumble away from the pilings supporting our home since MONDAY. They will continue to crumble until they assume their 30 degree angle. (heard that somewhere?) They are still pretty vertical, so I expedct more sand to slide away.

Over the years I have tried those pathetic 9 x 13 inch signs that the Tourist Council sells. (they are $10 each and then you must buy your own metal pole, mount it and bury it in the dune. So it's about $15 per sign )

We each place about 4 on the dunes in front at the beginning of each season. Since May, I have gone through 8 signs. Arlene took 4 with her, a person took one and Dennis took the remaing 3. So it's hard (and expensive) to keep them where they should be (why don't my high gulf-front property taxes pay for theses? Or the oodles of tourist tax we generate since the homes are rented year round ? )

I asked someone at the Tourist Council, "Why are these signs so mamby pamby? They don't really say to stay OFF the dunes, and what's with not trampling the vegetation? We haven't had any since Ivan. You can save these, just give me the ones that say "STAY OFF THE DUNES, THIS MEANS YOU". The gal at the desk just giggled and said (I kid you not) Oh, Walton County is mamby pamby about everything. They want to be PC and not put up signs that may be too offensive to tourists"

How's this one, Walton County=

"Keep off the dunes. Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again"

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
Sea Turtle said:
I think All these ideas are great, if not for the pure reason they have peole thinking about saving the dunes!

The dunes are still very unstable. I have seen 2 MORE feet crumble away from the pilings supporting our home since MONDAY. They will continue to crumble until they assume their 30 degree angle. (heard that somewhere?) They are still pretty vertical, so I expedct more sand to slide away.

Over the years I have tried those pathetic 9 x 13 inch signs that the Tourist Council sells. (they are $10 each and then you must buy your own metal pole, mount it and bury it in the dune. So it's about $15 per sign )

We each place about 4 on the dunes in front at the beginning of each season. Since May, I have gone through 8 signs. Arlene took 4 with her, a person took one and Dennis took the remaing 3. So it's hard (and expensive) to keep them where they should be (why don't my high gulf-front property taxes pay for theses? Or the oodles of tourist tax we generate since the homes are rented year round ? )

I asked someone at the Tourist Council, "Why are these signs so mamby pamby? They don't really say to stay OFF the dunes, and what's with not trampling the vegetation? We haven't had any since Ivan. You can save these, just give me the ones that say "STAY OFF THE DUNES, THIS MEANS YOU". The gal at the desk just giggled and said (I kid you not) Oh, Walton County is mamby pamby about everything. They want to be PC and not put up signs that may be too offensive to tourists"

Now that's straightforward! Who will do the shooting? Oh yea...the guys in orange jumpsuits!

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Sea Turtle said:

:rotfl:
I love it. A neighbor of mine once had a sticker on her front door that read, "This home protected by Smith & Wesson." I think your's is the best one I have seen to place on your private property. Of course, instead of posting the sign, you could sit in the yard in your underwear with a pump shotgun(empty) with a look of "try me" on your face. Just give it a pump every once in a while. It doesn't take long for the word to spread, and soon you will have reclaimed your dunes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.